Canadian citizen residing outside Canada

Canadian citizen residing outside Canada

Old Mar 26th 2002, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

CN Tower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian citizen residing outside Canada

Hello group,
I have just come across this and wondered if anyone had any thoughts:
In the Report of the Standing Committee (resulting in recommendation 36) it states the following:
       "Currently, individuals may sponsor family members even if the sponsor is out of the country, provided the sponsor intends to return to Canada at the time the family members receive a visa. Clause 130(1)(b) seems to reverse that rule by requiring sponsors to be habitually present in Canada."

I am familiar with how the current regulations stand regarding this matter and it had been my intention to apply as a sponsored common-law partner after the new law is implemented. My Canadian citizen partner resides with me in the UK and we would therefore have been submitting the application(s) from outside of Canada.

Am I correct in thinking that unless this recommendation is heeded and the regulations amended, there will be no provision for us to apply from outside?

I would be interested in any opinions out there on what may have prompted this change in approach to non-Canada-residing sponsors.

Thanks v. much

Claire