Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizen Land return No passport will citizen ID card suffice

Wikiposts

Canadian Citizen Land return No passport will citizen ID card suffice

Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future
Default Canadian Citizen Land return No passport will citizen ID card suffice

We have just had are citizenship ceremony and at that time they took are PR cards away now i will apliy for a Canadian Passport but this will take a few weeks.
I have a GB passport and may have to travel by road to the UK will I be able to return through Canadian border with Citizenship card? I have searched the Canadian Border Control website but can’t find the relevant answer.
Thanks in Advance
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Citizen Land return No passport will citizen ID card suffice

Presumably you are actually travelling by road to the US, unless you have 007s submarine Lotus

UK passport and Canadian Citizenship card will get you back in. Going to confuse them going out as the US immigration people may not accept canadian citizenship card as proof of canadianness so might well require you to get an I94W green form.

You do of course have the option to go in person to a passport office and pay an expediting fee. You could have your canadian passport the same day if you want to pay for it.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 1st 2010 at 4:54 am.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Canadian Citizen Land return No passport will citizen ID card suffice

Originally Posted by iaink
Presumably you are actually travelling by road to the US, unless you have 007s submarine Lotus

UK passport and Canadian Citizenship card will get you back in.
Thanks no just the Corvette have to pick a few orders up from warehouse just over the boarder.
On a separate issue if I cross US boarder with a Canadian passport will i not have to buy one of those business visas think there around $10
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
We have just had are citizenship ceremony and at that time they took are PR cards away now i will apliy for a Canadian Passport but this will take a few weeks.
I have a GB passport and may have to travel by road to the UK will I be able to return through Canadian border with Citizenship card? I have searched the Canadian Border Control website but can’t find the relevant answer.
Thanks in Advance
My wife just got her new passport in 8 days by applying in person at the office in Calgary. Didn't cost any extra, and arrived in the post.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smivers
My wife just got her new passport in 8 days by applying in person at the office in Calgary. Didn't cost any extra, and arrived in the post.
yea we will apply in person as the passport office is now open in kelowna, just filling out the forms
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:58 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks no just the Corvette have to pick a few orders up from warehouse just over the boarder.
On a separate issue if I cross US boarder with a Canadian passport will i not have to buy one of those business visas think there around $10
Do you mean the Green card thingy?... I never got a business visa all the times I crossed, but I wasnt going to work, just attending some meetings, honest!

Got to be very careful about your paperwork if you intend to bring anything business related back with you, goods , samples etc. There is a world of pain associated with bringing anything not for personal use back across the border without all the right paperwork. Thats far more likely to be a problem than the passport issue.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:59 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If you are crossing the border for commercial purposes you will have to pay the USD10.75 fee - even as a Canadian citizen.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:11 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean the Green card thingy?... I never got a business visa all the times I crossed, but I wasnt going to work, just attending some meetings, honest!

Got to be very careful about your paperwork if you intend to bring anything business related back with you, goods , samples etc. There is a world of pain associated with bringing anything not for personal use back across the border without all the right paperwork. Thats far more likely to be a problem than the passport issue.
Yup. South of Vancouver you have to use the truck crossing (Pacific Highway) and get in line with all the commercial trucks.

I did try once to use the tourist lanes because all I had were some cabinet pulls worth about $40. I was turned around and sent back into the states (The US officer had a good laugh at that) and had to join the back of the truck line.

If you don't have a customs broker to arrange the paperwork in advance you have to tell the IO that you have commercial goods and are then sent to the customs office. If you know your company's GST/HST number and the tariff codes of the goods you are bringing in, and have the means to pay the taxes and duties, you can do the paper work yourself but you are in for a long wait. If not you are in for a very long wait.

I'm not sure what the procedures are at the Osoyoos border crossing if that's the one he will be using. I can't imagine they are any easier.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yup. South of Vancouver you have to use the truck crossing (Pacific Highway) and get in line with all the commercial trucks.

I did try once to use the tourist lanes because all I had were some cabinet pulls worth about $40. I was turned around and sent back into the states (The US officer had a good laugh at that) and had to join the back of the truck line.

If you don't have a customs broker to arrange the paperwork in advance you have to tell the IO that you have commercial goods and are then sent to the customs office. If you know your company's GST/HST number and the tariff codes of the goods you are bringing in, and have the means to pay the taxes and duties, you can do the paper work yourself but you are in for a long wait. If not you are in for a very long wait.
I cross at Oroville BC crossing and you can go through the civilian crossing there and wait is only around 5 mins plus time on their computer to complete paperwork

Last edited by iaink; Sep 1st 2010 at 5:25 am.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:26 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

I cross at Oroville BC crossing and you can go through the civilian crossing there and wait is only around 5 mins plus time on their computer to complete paperwork
Sounds like you know what you are doing on that front then. For the uninitiated it can be a horrible learning experience!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like you know what you are doing on that front then. For the uninitiated it can be a horrible learning experience!
I mostly import most large ticket items Business and personal Canadians do get riped off in prices compared to th US when you can save 20-60% on items even when they are made in Canada there is some think wrong.