Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Child Benefit

Canadian Child Benefit

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Child Benefit

When we applied for my SIN they asked if my OH wanted one too, he is not working (but he has a WP) so we got one as there seemed no point not to. They also offered ones for the children even though they can't legally work. They told us that they expected that one day they would be able to work legally so that we may as well have one now. This was in Dartmouth Amy so I assume that you will get the same info there as we did.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:42 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
When we applied for my SIN they asked if my OH wanted one too, he is not working (but he has a WP) so we got one as there seemed no point not to. They also offered ones for the children even though they can't legally work. They told us that they expected that one day they would be able to work legally so that we may as well have one now. This was in Dartmouth Amy so I assume that you will get the same info there as we did.
Cool - thank you. I shall pop along then and see what they can do for me
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't claimed Child Benefit yet, although much to our surprise the lady from the tax office (TD) thinks we should be claiming. So I need to put the forms in and see what happens.

(we have PR now)

Linda
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:32 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

How much do you get?
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

we have been told that we need to be here many months, before we can claim, but would like to know where we could go to get this advice, forms etc
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:47 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
we have been told that we need to be here many months, before we can claim, but would like to know where we could go to get this advice, forms etc
If your here on a TWP you have to be here 18 months before you can claim. Have a look on the Canada Revenue Agency site - you should find all the info there.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

lounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to alllounan is a name known to all

I do not have a SIN number as i am here on husbands TWP.
I was told you can not have a SIN number if you are not working.
They sent me a form asking about details of residency and wanted copies of work permits birth certs etc etc

I have a temp SIN number from when I submitted my Tax return and they have excepted this.

I have 2 children, 1 was born here and I recieve $137 a month, dont forget you can also claim for the universal benefit if your child is under 6yrs $100 a month but this is taxable...
And yes we had to wait 18months, even for our canadian born child

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/g...ild_care.shtml
www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cctb/

Last edited by lounan; Jan 23rd 2009 at 12:54 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:11 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I came in under OH's TWP but was issued a spousal twp at the airport (not used it yet tho - oops) and the next day I went and got a SIN - no probs. . .

now getting a sim (card) - now that was torture!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:15 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I came in under OH's TWP but was issued a spousal twp at the airport (not used it yet tho - oops) and the next day I went and got a SIN - no probs. . .

now getting a sim (card) - now that was torture!
If you are not allowed to get a SIN number for whatever reason, you can still apply to the CRA for a taxpayer number and use this to file a tax return and claim tax credits.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Sure they will. Just ask. Assuming you're here legally.

You don't need to work to have a SIN, you need to have a SIN to work. What is your visa status here anyway?
I asked and was told until I have a work permit I can't have one
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda P
I was classed as a visitor accompianing him. So I could not have a SIN number.
Ah...Canadian Bureaucracy.

My Canadian wife, already resident, sponsored me. Having entered Canada as a visitor, I remained while the PR application was processed under a newish rule that allowed that.

She was already receiving Child Tax Benefit and reporting my income (at that time just an overlap of UK salary and then zero) as requested by the CTB wing of CRA. They then decided to suspend the CTB because although they had my income details, it wasn't on my own tax form, just my wife's. It was previously good enough to confirm there was no tax liability and it was previously good enough to confirm CTB was due at the maximum rate...but someone got fussy.

I'm missing out the long story but the relevant part is the instruction we received from the CTB wing of the CRA. I'll paraphrase. The CRA can't issue a temporary number so you need to go to the Service Canada Centre and apply for a SIN. They won't issue one, but you need to apply for one. WHEN they don't give you a SIN you then need to complete a tax form, attaching the issued letter saying you can't get a SIN....and then CRA will issue a temporary SIN.

That would be the same CRA that the CRA (CTB part of) had told me could not issue a temp SIN.

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 23rd 2009 at 5:14 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 5:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
How much do you get?
Online estimator....
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/clcltr/menu-eng.html

For us its <200 a month total for two kids.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

Once resident everyone including our children received SIN numbers. The amount was worked out on the previous years tax return, which included the time before we were resident but living here. The amount is based on income.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Ok heres a twist to the original posters dilema..
can i claim benifits for my kids when they live in Switzerland ???? or any other country for that matter
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Ok heres a twist to the original posters dilema..
can i claim benifits for my kids when they live in Switzerland ???? or any other country for that matter
Looks like a no.

4. Can I get the Canada Child Tax Benefit?
To get the CCTB, you must meet all the following conditions:

you must live with the child, and the child must be under the age of 18;
you must be the person who is primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child;
This means you are responsible for such things as supervising the child's daily activities and needs, making sure the child's medical needs are met, and arranging for child care when necessary. If there is a female parent who lives with the child, we usually consider her to be this person. However, it could be the father, a grandparent, or a guardian.
you must be a resident of Canada; and you or your spouse or common-law partner must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a protected person, or a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/cctb/fq_qlfyng-eng.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.