Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Banks now requiring urine and hair samples to obtain mortgage?

Canadian Banks now requiring urine and hair samples to obtain mortgage?

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Banks now requiring urine and hair samples to obtain mortgage?

Originally Posted by geedee
Well, there's one way to find out.... try and change your home insurance to the company in question! I'll phone them for a quote next week and see what they say!
Don't forget to bring a stool sample for the manager.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Banks now requiring urine and hair samples to obtain mortgage?

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
But surely you don't believe such rubbish? Given what appears to be the "everybody's watching you' policy in the UK I could believe it a higher possibility there than here.
I believe it. I've been required to provide urine samples in order to gain employment on short term contracts, I don't see that granting someone a mortgage is less of a gesture of faith in someone than employing them for three months. I suppose the act of peeing is somewhat distasteful but the real concern here is the ability of the insurance company to impose its standards on the public. As noted above, it's usual for people in Canada to test positive for "illegal" but socially accepted drugs, a move to make it difficult to get a mortgage if you're stoned would be problematic for Canadians.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:34 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
Do you think so? I doubt they'd tell fibs or they'd be done for slander. Maybe they will be, in which case we'll know it's 'misinformation'!
Libel, hun, libel

(and yes I am being pedantic this morning)
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Libel, hun, libel

(and yes I am being pedantic this morning)
Sorry BC... you're quite right. It would be libel, not slander.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

These tests have nothing do do with the actual financing of a mortgage.

This insurance is "Mortgage Life Insurance". It is for insurance on your loan not for approval of financing!

Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Here is the section of the article:

It has become a first for Canadians and the implications can be astronomical, a massively large insurance firm; The CUMIS Group Limited Insurance who have been partnered along with thousands of 'credit unions' across North America for insurance requirements, has now accepted a policy of pre-screening drug tests & hair samples for the right to obtain home loan insurance, a necessity, if you’re going to purchase a home in Canada.

Also, I disagree with the statement "home loan insurance, a necessity". You are better off taking a separate life insurance policy out rather than home loan insurance.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgroe
Also, I disagree with the statement "home loan insurance, a necessity". You are better off taking a separate life insurance policy out rather than home loan insurance.
Depending on the amount of the loan that may not be an option. If the lender, or the law, requires the insurance then the insurer does control the granting of the loan and so the urine sample would be required in order to get a mortgage.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:02 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Depending on the amount of the loan that may not be an option. If the lender, or the law, requires the insurance then the insurer does control the granting of the loan and so the urine sample would be required in order to get a mortgage.
I do not believe that a lender in Canada can/would condition mortgage life insurance as a requirement of being approved for a mortgage. If a potential borrower wishes to purchase such life insurance the insurer can/may require a medical examination which could well include urine sampling. The Mortgage Life Insurance Application Form consists of a series of health questions. Answers denoting health problems, past or present, would determine approval/denial or the need for a medical exam. Dishonest answers would negate any claim at time of death.
"Bank" type mortgage life insurance is expensive and, IMO, not recommended. Buying it from other sources is much more prudent.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Auld Yin, I totally agree. I think you have got it exactly right.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:02 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha the title of this made me laugh. I could imagine working back at the bank - newly qualified as a lender, ooooh look my 9 o clock appointment is here.

"Good morning Mr and Mrs Table () I see you are here to talk to me about the possibility of a mortgage."

"Yes" they say beaming "Yes we are"

"oh good, before we start then heres a jar for you each, just quickly pee in there for me each of you theres a poppet, and to save time whilst you're doing that i'll hack some of your hair off ok"

Shouts "Hellooooo? Hellllloooooooo? - you seem to have left all of your belongings on my desk in your haste to get out? I'll give you a follow up call later shall I....................
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

O.M.G , What !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 26th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
In what way is it inaccurate? It's slightly misleading in that the insurance company rather than the bank that wants the bottle of piss but surely that's a minor quibble.
Maybe you can get a discount if you bank a sperm sample with them?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mcfc98
Seems reasonable to me that an insurance company should know your medical history before granting you a policy it's due diligence. That being said get the medical info from a Doctor, otherwise you're just taking the piss*

*Yes I went for the obvious.
This opens up a whole can of worms. For example, are overweight people to be considered a health risk? In this case, most of the porkies in North America would never get a loan or insurance. According to the medical profession, people who drink more than 2 beers a day have a health risk. In the small town where I live, this would eliminate 90% of the population. Or people who smoke, etc....

Last edited by johnh009; Jul 26th 2009 at 1:44 pm.