Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

I remember in my teaching practicum asking the students where their regular teacher kept his rubbers!

Much mirth ensued!

I meant blackboard erasers, they thought I meant condoms!

When I explained I wanted to clean the board with one I think I only made it worse....

ewwwww

I've also made the mistake of saying I would come and "knock you up in the morning" - i.e. pick them up early to go somewhere.

Again much mirth ensued!

And don't tell someone to keep their pecker up!

My brother smoked (he smoked at 14!) and when he went to buy his first packet in Canada he asked the store keeper "what fags do Canadians smoke?"

Again much....
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Would you say that to Indian or Chinese immigrants?
What would you suggest?
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:33 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
What would you suggest?
Welcome to Canada, we're a tolerant country.

Rather than, abandon all vestiges of your native culture at the door.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:34 pm
Is it that time already

Tony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by triumphguy
I remember in my teaching practicum asking the students where their regular teacher kept his rubbers!

Much mirth ensued!

I meant blackboard erasers, they thought I meant condoms!

When I explained I wanted to clean the board with one I think I only made it worse....

ewwwww

I've also made the mistake of saying I would come and "knock you up in the morning" - i.e. pick them up early to go somewhere.

Again much mirth ensued!

And don't tell someone to keep their pecker up!

My brother smoked (he smoked at 14!) and when he went to buy his first packet in Canada he asked the store keeper "what fags do Canadians smoke?"

Again much....
Bloody great-keep them coming.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:37 pm
Is it that time already

Tony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to allTony the pilot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Aviator
What would you suggest?
How's that new aircraft of yours? Hope you've not bent it yet!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:46 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I remember getting absolute blank looks when asking for a Biro.

Ballpoint is the appropriate canadianism.

Yes,... bumming a fag, thats gonna get you some strange looks.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dollface
Don't have to get used to it. Just don't feed that junk to yourself or your kids
I have no intention to......I dont in the UK, why should I over there. But I do have a diabetic son (14!!), who sometimes needs a long drink (other than water which he drinks too!!) which is sugar free to quench that thirst. I could not find this in Canada, this is all I was saying. He cannot, without injecting copious amounts of insulin, drink gallons of fresh fruit juice, or anything with sugar in...... When you are diabetic, it is not just the "healthy" option that needs to be considered, but also the sugars, either natural or otherwise....

Mel.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:52 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Yes,... bumming a fag, thats gonna get you some strange looks.
Try asking "what type of fags have you got"
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Try asking "what type of fags have you got"
Or asking your girlfriend's mother if you can help her lay the table.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:40 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strawberry
I have no intention to......I dont in the UK, why should I over there. But I do have a diabetic son (14!!), who sometimes needs a long drink (other than water which he drinks too!!) which is sugar free to quench that thirst. I could not find this in Canada, this is all I was saying. He cannot, without injecting copious amounts of insulin, drink gallons of fresh fruit juice, or anything with sugar in...... When you are diabetic, it is not just the "healthy" option that needs to be considered, but also the sugars, either natural or otherwise....

Mel.
You can buy diabetic food and drink items here. You can pretty much get anything here that you would buy in the UK, just perhaps under a different brand or name.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Unsmoked ham is cooked ham.

Cottage roll is bacony, very fatty but ok once boiled and fat removed. Makes great pea and bacon stew/soup

Sirloin tip roast is not sirloin, its a slow roast or a pot roast joint.

Eye of round, round etc, are all pot roast, slow roast joints.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:48 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Trainers are runners.
Aubergine is eggplant.
Courgette is Zucchini
Mange Tout are Snow peas
Spring Onions are Green Onions
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

some car terms:

Alternator/ generator
Windshield/ windscreen
Trunk/ boot
Hood/ bonnet
tractor trailer/ articulated lorry
semi/ ditto
mini van/ people mover
gas/ petrol
permium gas/ four star petrol
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dollface
Trainers are runners.
Aubergine is eggplant.
Courgette is Zucchini
Mange Tout are Snow peas
Spring Onions are Green Onions
If mange tout are snow peas, what are snow peas?
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus
If mange tout are snow peas, what are snow peas?
Aren't they they the same as mange tout? so they'd still be snow peas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.