Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 1:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Originally Posted by dollface
Wonder why they don't have 6 packs of choccy biccies here - like Breakaway, clubs, penguins etc - no eqivalent here that i've seen
Ive seen 6 packs of penguins and clubs in the Bulk Barn if you really need to scratch that itch.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 1:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strawberry
sugar free cordial!! do they have any in Canada. Couldn't find any in summer for love nor money. I have diabetic son so its a must!!!!! Had to drink gallons of fruit juice and diet coke!!!!
Could try Fruit punches (frozen concentrate), or Cool Aid, Crystal lite etc (powder), where you control how much sugar goes in....
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 1:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by mumof2
OLBAS OIL - I was trying to find something like this earlier this week if someone finds something please post !
I've bought it here, but cant recall where now Its not like i travel in exotic circles, so it was probably shoppers drug mart or my local drug store...

I certainly didnt pay $30 for it. Is it not primarily eucalyptus oil...should be able to find that in a speciality store I would think.

Dont get it in your eyes!

http://www.nature.com/eye/journal/v2...ye200870a.html

Last edited by iaink; Oct 2nd 2009 at 1:47 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 1:44 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Ive seen 6 packs of penguins and clubs in the Bulk Barn if you really need to scratch that itch.
you know, I've never been in a bulk barn. Do the British shop thing on the odd occasion. Not a thing you see in Loblaws and the like tho'.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

or Cool Aid, Crystal lite etc (powder), where you control how much sugar goes in....
They are full of aspartame though ....
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 1:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dollface
you know, I've never been in a bulk barn. Do the British shop thing on the odd occasion. Not a thing you see in Loblaws and the like tho'.
You are right.

Bulk Barn (at least my local one) has a surprising array of British stuff...Frys chocolate creams, Sherbert fountains, British chocolate bars, various dodgy cooking sauces and instant graveys etc...
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 1:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ann m
Cool Aid? are you sure? I thought it was just the flavour, and the mixer adds their sweetener of choice.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 1:56 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

You are right.

Bulk Barn (at least my local one) has a surprising array of British stuff...Frys chocolate creams, Sherbert fountains, British chocolate bars, various dodgy cooking sauces and instant graveys etc...
Must check that out. Thanks.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:00 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Cool Aid? are you sure? I thought it was just the flavour, and the mixer adds their sweetener of choice.
I think there are three kinds of Kool Aid.

Sweetened, Sugar Free (which I think contains the Aspartame) and Unsweetened.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

I discovered that Shoppers Drug Mart here in Victoria carries Boots range of products, like the Botanics stuff and No7 perform and protect. More than in the UK and no 3 for 2 offers like in Boots, but they sell it!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by charlottyb
I discovered that Shoppers Drug Mart here in Victoria carries Boots range of products, like the Botanics stuff and No7 perform and protect. More than in the UK and no 3 for 2 offers like in Boots, but they sell it!
Yeah, most Shoppers carry their line.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:54 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Raisin bread tastes just like toasted tea cakes - although they look nothing like them!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Cool Aid?????? what on earth is that??????? - powder????????sweetener????? so do all Canadian kids (and adults) drink only sugary juices and cordials - tut tut think of the teeth???? never mind the diabetics!!!!! how strange? - unless this really is a european thing?? I am really surprised.

Mel
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Tang seems an acceptable alternative to squash. Comes in a box and needs mixing.

Incidentally...in the UK I wouldn't touch any brand of Cola that wasn't Coke or Pepsi. All the alternatives were foul.

But Presidents Choice Cola from Loblaws/Superstore seems okay judging by the mouthful I tried the other day.

Diet versions.
Tang???? crikey Ive never heard of all these.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Anybody add any others to help Canadian newcomers not feel so lost?!
My suggestion, suck it up, you live in Canada Now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.