Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadia equivalents to those British things we take for granted

Originally Posted by blooper
Anyone know of a decent equivalent to Savlon?
You mean antiseptic cream?

Polysporin is good.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blooper
Anyone know of a decent equivalent to Savlon?
Polysporin or store brand. It's not white but it does the same thing. More effective in my view.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
You mean antiseptic cream?

Polysporin is good.
Isn't that an anitbiotic cream? The nurse at the doctors looked at me as if I was an alien when I said I have never bought the stuff.

Oh yes, I am an alien.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Isn't that an anitbiotic cream? The nurse at the doctors looked at me as if I was an alien when I said I have never bought the stuff.

Oh yes, I am an alien.
Beats me, Goes on cuts and scrapes is all I know.

"Neosporin (from Neo, (Greek) new + Sporos, (Greek) seed) is the product name of an antibiotic ointment produced by Pfizer (later sold to Johnson & Johnson) used in the prevention of infection and speeding the healing of wounds. The original ointment contains three different antibiotics: bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B. Other brand names for this mixture include Mycitracin and Topisporin.
The generic drug name for this mixture is "Triple antibiotic ointment". In China, this product is called "Complex Polymyxin B Ointment" which is manufactured by Zhejiang Reachall Pharmaceutical. GlaxoSmithKline manufactures Neosporin in many other countries, including Canada.[citation needed] In Mexico, GSK's trade name "Neosporin Dermico" is used for the topical ointment.
Some people have allergic reactions to neomycin, so a "Double antibiotic ointment" is sold that only contains bacitracin and polymyxin B (for example, product name Polysporin)."
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Not Canadian equivalent but imported from England:

Loblaws/Superstore/Maxi No Name brand Rich Tea, Digestive and Chocolate Digestive biscuits. I think they're under $2 a packet
Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

I've found a tin of sweets in our local No Frills (superstore/loblaws).
They're the Presidents Choice brand and they're called High Street! The packaging, the picture on the back and the fact they're imported from the UK suggests they're Quality street.
Will have to wait until Crimbo to find out.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

wannabecalgarypc is an unknown quantity at this point

Neosporin, I did not know what that was till I watched Don't mess with the Zohan yesterday when the 3 guys asking for nitroglycerin but because of there accents the guy gave Neosporin was quite funny as they threw it at the window and it looked like vaseline to me
Old Nov 30th 2009, 1:10 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joelsa
I've found a tin of sweets in our local No Frills (superstore/loblaws).
They're the Presidents Choice brand and they're called High Street! The packaging, the picture on the back and the fact they're imported from the UK suggests they're Quality street.
Will have to wait until Crimbo to find out.
You could always buy some Quality Street in Loblaws. They do sell them. I saw some in there yesterday. Horribly expensive, mind you.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
Not Canadian equivalent but imported from England:

Loblaws/Superstore/Maxi No Name brand Rich Tea, Digestive and Chocolate Digestive biscuits. I think they're under $2 a packet
Pics
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

I found Quality Street in Walmart but it was $16 for a small tin! :O
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Shoppers DrugMart has QS on offer at various times and prices.

I've paid $14 for a 1kg tin that shot up to $26 the next week and now they have 725/750g tins for $16-$18.

Like many things, buy them when you see a good price.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:38 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strawberry
sugar free cordial!! do they have any in Canada. Couldn't find any in summer for love nor money. I have diabetic son so its a must!!!!! Had to drink gallons of fruit juice and diet coke!!!!
.... Crystal Lite..... comes in many flavours. Most taste good
Old Dec 27th 2009, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

thepatmores is an unknown quantity at this point

Try adding "Whip It" by DrOetkur to your cream it is a staberlizer weird but it works you find it by the herbs in our local canadian sperstore in pouches
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

TheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant futureTheBestUsername has a brilliant future

Are there Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes in Canada? And, how is the semi-skimmed milk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.