Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada's safest cities

Canada's safest cities

Old Aug 17th 2016, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada's safest cities

Originally Posted by dbd33
JonBoyE always dismisses crime in Vancouver as being gang and drug related and, by implication, of little concern to law abiding citizens. I don't buy that for a moment. It does mean that crime is of less concern to affluent citizens but if you live in a block where people are shooting each other you're still likely to get shot.

A while back I had cause to visit someone in east end Toronto (Morningside and Lawrence) reasonably often, we'd sit on the balcony listening to drug deals, beatings and the occasional shooting. It was frightening and I think it reasonable to think that, just because we were in a project, we were at risk, without being in a gang. In any case, one can reasonably argue that the violence in rough US locations, Anacostia or East Saint Louis, for example, is gang or drug related, it's still pervasive - the death toll among the uninvolved is disturbing.

I suggest that violent crime, especially gun crime, is the same problem regardless of the target. Not every gang member with a gun is a criminal mastermind informed as to the precise identifying features of his rival.
Not only that. People who desperately need money to buy drugs usually get it through a myriad of other crimes such as theft (e.g. burglary, robbery, shoplifting, etc.) and these definitely affect law-abiding citizens. These crimes are often committed outside the areas where the drug addict lives or buys the drugs. Also gang and turf wars often spill over into what seem to be low crime areas and can involve innocent bystanders (e.g. drive-by shootings).
Old Aug 17th 2016, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the crime in Chilliwack here is rooted in drugs with people needing to steal and rob in order to get their fix but the victims of said crimes are normally not criminals and just everyday normal folk.

A week or 2 ago at one of the corn barns there was an apparent armed robbery.

Our condo building has been broken into at least 5 times in the 8 months we have lived here.

Our storage unit once.

Even reports of dogs being stolen now.

So yes you could say the crine is drug related but the victims are your average person.

They are getting bolder now as well and starting to mug and rob vs just stealing and running off so now personal safety is an issue.

I wouldnt walk around this area after dark.

While the shooting a few months ago was targeted it took place in middle of the day in a grocery store parking lot, had the shooter missed he could have easily hit random bystanders just going shopping.

The amount of drug use and related crime is staggering these days.

We are not involved in crime but because of our income level we end up in higher crime less than desirable areas since the low crime desirable areas are beyond our price range.

The south end of the city is nicer and more affluent so less issues.

JonBoyE always dismisses crime in Vancouver as being gang and drug related and, by implication, of little concern to law abiding citizens. I don't buy that for a moment. It does mean that crime is of less concern to affluent citizens but if you live in a block where people are shooting each other you're still likely to get shot.

A while back I had cause to visit someone in east end Toronto (Morningside and Lawrence) reasonably often, we'd sit on the balcony listening to drug deals, beatings and the occasional shooting. It was frightening and I think it reasonable to think that, just because we were in a project, we were at risk, without being in a gang. In any case, one can reasonably argue that the violence in rough US locations, Anacostia or East Saint Louis, for example, is gang or drug related, it's still pervasive - the death toll among the uninvolved is disturbing.

I suggest that violent crime, especially gun crime, is the same problem regardless of the target. Not every gang member with a gun is a criminal mastermind informed as to the precise identifying features of his rival.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 17th 2016 at 4:46 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 10:48 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

i live in prince george and i really dont get why everyone thinks its the armpit of BC. i love it here and in 4 years havent yet been shot or forced to take drugs.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 1:33 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Red Deer is apparently number 7 worst place, I can see it. Huge increase of crime and drugs with the high unemployment.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 2:15 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
i live in prince george and i really dont get why everyone thinks its the armpit of BC. i love it here and in 4 years havent yet been shot or forced to take drugs.
I bet a few bullets have whizzed past your ears though
Old Aug 24th 2016, 2:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Red Deer is apparently number 7 worst place, I can see it. Huge increase of crime and drugs with the high unemployment.
The "official" unemployment isn't so bad here, but sounds a lot like what this city has, crime mostly related to drugs, its a broken system for sure that just repeats.

As long as you don't own anything your pretty safe from the crime, but if you own something, your a target.

We live in the bad part of town, so we get to see all sort of crazy things.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 24th 2016 at 2:36 am.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 11:23 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought my neighbourhood was safe (sleepy) until Sunday. Cop cars started appearing everywhere. There was some guy wandering around in the next street with a rifle and handgun.

I don't know what the outcome was. It didn't get into the papers, so I'm guessing it wasn't a criminal act.

There are lot of military living around here so it could well have been a case of PTSD.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 8:01 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The "official" unemployment isn't so bad here, but sounds a lot like what this city has, crime mostly related to drugs, its a broken system for sure that just repeats.

As long as you don't own anything your pretty safe from the crime, but if you own something, your a target.

We live in the bad part of town, so we get to see all sort of crazy things.
My friends girlfriend was mugged at knifepoint a few weeks ago, downtown at lunchtime, thankfully someone came out of a door and saw what was going on, the girl was apprehended and has since been sentenced to 2 years. 3 or four people have posted that their truck has been stolen.

Where OH works, a truck was driven away just after being unloaded from the transporter, the shipping container they use for storage has been broken into multiple times and another truck went missing and has since been found. This is on top of the usual wheel/tyre thefts that have been on the increase.

Almost everyone I speak to has a story of crime, whether it's themselves or a friend.

I am thankful I no longer live in town. I am thankful that our home is not on a main road too.
Old Aug 24th 2016, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

They will steal anything and everything here. You eill literally see people on bikes with mino trailers pulling all sort of stuff.

Big problem is police cannot prove a lot of this stuff is stolen so they can't arrest but even when they do arrest the people are back out within a short period.

That is also assuming there are officers available, we have times where every officer is busy and they have none available to respond. We also have an inadequate number of officers for a town this size and with the crime there is.

If you live on town especially south of the hwy like we do, crime is an everyday occurance and quite visible.

Just down the street maybe 1 minute drive there is a homeless camp and they openly use drug and shoot up. Also a lot of what is likely stolen goods.

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
My friends girlfriend was mugged at knifepoint a few weeks ago, downtown at lunchtime, thankfully someone came out of a door and saw what was going on, the girl was apprehended and has since been sentenced to 2 years. 3 or four people have posted that their truck has been stolen.

Where OH works, a truck was driven away just after being unloaded from the transporter, the shipping container they use for storage has been broken into multiple times and another truck went missing and has since been found. This is on top of the usual wheel/tyre thefts that have been on the increase.

Almost everyone I speak to has a story of crime, whether it's themselves or a friend.

I am thankful I no longer live in town. I am thankful that our home is not on a main road too.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Maple Ridge is the same.

The cops are actually having a crackdown (pun intended) at the moment, but that's only for 2 weeks...🙄

The Crown won't charge street junkies with any crimes (other than probably murder), which is beyond crazy, so the cops won't even arrest them.

I find it amazing that Canadians think they have a very harsh crime and punishment regime, when it's actually the most limp-wristed that I've ever seen...

They will steal anything and everything here. You eill literally see people on bikes with mino trailers pulling all sort of stuff.

Big problem is police cannot prove a lot of this stuff is stolen so they can't arrest but even when they do arrest the people are back out within a short period.

That is also assuming there are officers available, we have times where every officer is busy and they have none available to respond. We also have an inadequate number of officers for a town this size and with the crime there is.

If you live on town especially south of the hwy like we do, crime is an everyday occurance and quite visible.

Just down the street maybe 1 minute drive there is a homeless camp and they openly use drug and shoot up. Also a lot of what is likely stolen goods.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
The Crown won't charge street junkies with any crimes (other than probably murder), which is beyond crazy, so the cops won't even arrest them.
Surely no one moves to Canada, especially not to BC, being unaware that drug use is technically illegal but widely tolerated. There should be no surprise in that.

The CPS (or whatever it's called locally) has a finite budget. Charging and plea bargaining away minor drug crimes is not an efficient use of time when there's an infinite supply of grow-op operators and medium scale dealers to be plea bargained with. I certainly would not want to pay higher taxes so as to put half the population of Canada through the dreary administrivia of charge-bargain-release; no one gains from that. Still less would be gained by jailing more people.

Legalisation is, of course, the practical answer and Canada will eventually follow the US down that path. The US, alas, has a long way to go.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

Problem is the hard core drug users are the biggest reason for crime in these areas, so since nothing is done the crime just gets worse.

These are not pot heads who keep to themselves, the hardcore addicts will do just about anything to get money for their drugs.

Plus they leave open used needles all over in parks, school's etc.

Jail may not be the answer but sometging needs to be done to curb the drug use and crime as in areas like Chilliwack it's simply out of control.

Surely no one moves to Canada, especially not to BC, being unaware that drug use is technically illegal but widely tolerated. There should be no surprise in that.

The CPS (or whatever it's called locally) has a finite budget. Charging and plea bargaining away minor drug crimes is not an efficient use of time when there's an infinite supply of grow-op operators and medium scale dealers to be plea bargained with. I certainly would not want to pay higher taxes so as to put half the population of Canada through the dreary administrivia of charge-bargain-release; no one gains from that. Still less would be gained by jailing more people.

Legalisation is, of course, the practical answer and Canada will eventually follow the US down that path. The US, alas, has a long way to go.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 2:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is the hard core drug users are the biggest reason for crime in these areas, so since nothing is done the crime just gets worse.

These are not pot heads who keep to themselves, the hardcore addicts will do just about anything to get money for their drugs.

Plus they leave open used needles all over in parks, school's etc.

Jail may not be the answer but sometging needs to be done to curb the drug use and crime as in areas like Chilliwack it's simply out of control.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

No reason to follow the US way and jail everyone for drug use, but Canada needs to add a lot more money into resources to help addicts and get people off the streets and find solutions to the situation instead of ignoring it.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 3:42 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I cant imagine so. There is drug use and there is drug use- Marijuana is somewhat different to Crack I would say. Having said that I cannot stand any kind of drug use, be it marijuana, crack, meth or any other chemical that people use "recreationally". Drugs are as rampantly common in all provinces, certainly not predominantly in BC sadly but obviously you know that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.