Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada's most dangerous cities

Wikiposts

Canada's most dangerous cities

Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of
Default Canada's most dangerous cities

To those who are still choosing where to move.

The West home to Canada's most dangerous cities, Maclean's says
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Wes...708/story.html

Canada's most dangerous cities Ranking
http://www2.macleans.ca/crime-chart/
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada's most dangerous cities

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. It has to be said that there are good and bad parts of every city, so this should be taken in context. Don't be scared to pop into a local Police office and ask about the area you are interested in....they know which are the better areas to live in within their city.
Stef

Originally Posted by davidsk
To those who are still choosing where to move.

The West home to Canada's most dangerous cities, Maclean's says
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Wes...708/story.html

Canada's most dangerous cities Ranking
http://www2.macleans.ca/crime-chart/
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really think of anything less useful to a potential immigrant.

People who want to go to Vancouver want to go to Vancouver, they do it despite the job market and would do it if the crime levels were those of Fort Wayne IN. People who don't move to Regina or Winnipeg or Saskatoon or Edmonton, don't do so because they're brutally ugly places in the middle of the steppes, the natives killing each other doesn't deter them and harmony wouldn't encourage them.

I suppose someone might choose between Guelph and Kitchener based on the relative crime levels but am surrounded by people who live in one or the other and don't know which is worse so I suppose it's not such a difference that people talk about it.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Always got me thinking why they called it the Wild West as opposed to the
Wild East, South or North. Now we know.
Obviously some smart ass will refer to the Wild West as being in the USA and not Canada but eh who cares

Let the fun begin
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to note that the Vancouver Sun seems to suggest that the police that are responsible for Prince George are incompetent. Why hasn't Mr. Legebokoff been charged with the 4 murders the police allege he has committed
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:30 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I can't really think of anything less useful to a potential immigrant.

People who want to go to Vancouver want to go to Vancouver, they do it despite the job market and would do it if the crime levels were those of Fort Wayne IN. People who don't move to Regina or Winnipeg or Saskatoon or Edmonton, don't do so because they're brutally ugly places in the middle of the steppes, the natives killing each other doesn't deter them and harmony wouldn't encourage them.

I suppose someone might choose between Guelph and Kitchener based on the relative crime levels but am surrounded by people who live in one or the other and don't know which is worse so I suppose it's not such a difference that people talk about it.
Any town or city has its good bits and bad bits. Gatineau isn't a small place and does pretty well on the rankings. If one nuked the lower end of Greber Blvd and a couple of streets in the Hull sector (please, God) there would be almost no violent crime here.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:37 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I see Belleville made it as #11

There are rough parts, but Id say the statistics really dont match up with the reality of living here in the most part. I suspect a few high profile homicides here have pushed it up the chart, but the reality is that in the preceeding 13 years there was nothing to report. Rus Williams was probably responsible single handed for half the murders and many of the reported sexual assualts and B&Es, and it seems unlikely he will be out again any time soon.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 15th 2011 at 2:40 am.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:46 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

There are rough parts, but Id say the statistics really dont match up with the reality of living here in the most part. I suspect a few high profile homicides here have pushed it up the chart, but the reality is that in the preceeding 13 years there was nothing to report. Rus Williams was probably responsible single handed for half the murders and many of the reported sexual assualts and B&Es, and it seems unlikely he will be out again any time soon.
I live in Caledon at #100

But given the money that lives here, I'm sure we have billions in tax fraud, insider dealings, and copius amounts of white collar crime, just all clean and above board and not recorded, caught, and well they play golf with the commisoner and mayor
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:47 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Belleville a military town? One would tend to expect a certain amount of violent crime. I'd imagine the suicide rate to be quite high, too.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I live in Caledon at #100

But given the money that lives here, I'm sure we have billions in tax fraud, insider dealings, and copius amounts of white collar crime, just all clean and above board and not recorded, caught, and well they play golf with the commisoner and mayor
Are you the local chav?
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:03 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Isn't Belleville a military town? One would tend to expect a certain amount of violent crime. I'd imagine the suicide rate to be quite high, too.
Not sure if they are including Trenton or not but TBH no one who can afford it stays near the base in Trenton, it smells cos of the paper mill. I figure most of the non "grow op" people moving into the $250k new sub division houses in Belleville are probably military, so yes, Belleville does suffer the typical problems that tend to be found in garrison towns. Roll on JTF2 moving in, thats bound to help right
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:15 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Great. That will be another 30 minutes of news time wasted on navel gazing this evening.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

My wife has completed the university part of her Midwifery assimilation program and will now be assigned to a hospital in Ontario to complete her first year registration. After 12 months she can apply to any hospital in Ontario but she's pulled Belleville out of the hat so Belleville it is for the next 12 months. We've rented a place in East Belleville so we've got to roll up our sleeves and get on with it. I hear bin tag theft is rife around here
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:53 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
My wife has completed the university part of her Midwifery assimilation program and will now be assigned to a hospital in Ontario to complete her first year registration. After 12 months she can apply to any hospital in Ontario but she's pulled Belleville out of the hat so Belleville it is for the next 12 months. We've rented a place in East Belleville so we've got to roll up our sleeves and get on with it. I hear bin tag theft is rife around here
East Hill is OK, well, most of it... Really, Belleville is OK.

I could use some bin tags...
Old Dec 15th 2011, 4:08 am
Slob

Not sure if they are including Trenton or not but TBH no one who can afford it stays near the base in Trenton, it smells cos of the paper mill. I figure most of the non "grow op" people moving into the $250k new sub division houses in Belleville are probably military, so yes, Belleville does suffer the typical problems that tend to be found in garrison towns. Roll on JTF2 moving in, thats bound to help right
I'm not sure what difference JTF2 will make. The ones I've met have been perfectly normal, friendly, family-oriented guys. I've only met them off-duty, obviously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.