British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canada's 'missing province' (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadas-missing-province-638086/)

bsmith Oct 29th 2009 10:28 am

Canada's 'missing province'

"Canada's 'missing province' grows as ex-pats opt out.

More Canadians than ever before have moved out of the country, according to a new report that says 2.8 million live permanently overseas.

The trend is being fuelled by naturalized Canadians who are three times more likely to leave the country than people born here. Over a 30-year period, the study estimates that at least 27 per cent of these immigrants who obtain Canadian citizenship would move away."

continue here - the globe and mail

dboy Oct 29th 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Canada's 'missing province'

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 8054156)

More Canadians than ever before have moved out of the country, according to a new report that says 2.8 million live permanently overseas.

The trend is being fuelled by naturalized Canadians who are three times more likely to leave the country than people born here. Over a 30-year period, the study estimates that at least 27 per cent of these immigrants who obtain Canadian citizenship would move away."

I should imagine its much the same anywhere, especially the UK.

brizzle Oct 29th 2009 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8054609)

Possibly, but there are some very interesting comments on the website (reportedly from Canadian born people now living overseas). Here's one:

"Hello Pupazzo, your experience is similiar to mine. The longer I was away from Canada getting international experience, and picking-up foreign languages, the less interest any employers in Canada at hiring me.

Now I have passed that fork in the road. I will return to Canada, but only as self-employed and semi-retired. I have given up the idea that I can force a square peg back into a round hole.

Not to be patronizing, but many managers are very provincial. They do not have international experience or speak second or third languages, and, hey, they're management, so it must not be very important."

Sounds very familiar doesn't it????

Alan2005 Oct 29th 2009 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8054609)

Every nationality has it's diaspora. I'd say it was fairly normal - though international experience does seem to be a negative in north america generally (this is anecdotal)

iaink Oct 29th 2009 8:39 pm

Hmm, People that have already left one country turn out to be less bothered about leaving Canada than people who haven't...

...It's hardly a surprise, is it? People come here for job opportunities, or for the adventure, decide citizenship is good to have (Plan B etc), and then later on a new opportunity comes up, or they decide not to stay here in retirement cos its too damned cold or whatever and up sticks again. Its not rocket surgery.

Is it a slow news day or something?

MikeUK Oct 29th 2009 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8055404)
...It's hardly a surprise, is it? People come here for job opportunities, or for the adventure, decide citizenship is good to have (Plan B etc), and then later on a new opportunity comes up, or they decide not to stay here in retirement cos its too damned cold or whatever and up sticks again. Its not rocket surgery.

Is it a slow news day or something?

Realy slow...

most of the candians I know don't properly retire here but snow bird down south

So anybody with the option to go elsewhere , why the surprise ???

Oink Oct 29th 2009 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8055309)
Every nationality has it's diaspora. I'd say it was fairly normal - though international experience does seem to be a negative in north america generally (this is anecdotal)

They say travel broads the mind, except with North Americans, where it just broadens the arse.

bsmith Oct 29th 2009 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8055404)

...do rocket surgeons tend to stay here, or do they go where the work is?

Novocastrian Oct 29th 2009 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 8055579)
...do rocket surgeons tend to stay here, or do they go where the work is?

I believe they do. Brain scientists move very smartly though.

Alan2005 Oct 29th 2009 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 8055597)
I believe they do. Brain scientists move very smartly though.

austinallegro Oct 29th 2009 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 8054156)

This is as old as history itself. Immigrants have been going home ever since people started emigrating. Most immigrants like where they come from but move for economic reasons. Most countries in the world are quite nice as long as you don't have to work there. They move, make money, retire, go home.

I know a bunch of Hong Kong'ers who went back after 1997 because they figured it was easier to make money in HK than Canada. I've also know Indians who went home again after discovering that working in a Toronto call-centre isn't a way to live life. There have even been Somalis who go home. Home is where the heart is.

Novocastrian Oct 29th 2009 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by austinallegro (Post 8055623)
This is as old as history itself. Immigrants have been going home ever since people started emigrating. Most immigrants like where they come from but move for economic reasons. Most countries in the world are quite nice as long as you don't have to work there. They move, make money, retire, go home.

I know a bunch of Hong Kong'ers who went back after 1997 because they figured it was easier to make money in HK than Canada. I've also know Indians who went home again after discovering that working in a Toronto call-centre isn't a way to live life. There have even been Somalis who go home. Home is where the heart is.

How profound. Did you read that somewhere?

wheatsheaf Oct 29th 2009 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by austinallegro (Post 8055623)

Is Canada registered as a 3, 4 or 5 star hotel?

Novocastrian Oct 29th 2009 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf (Post 8055713)
Is Canada registered as a 3, 4 or 5 star hotel?

Like so much else, it's a provincial matter.

wheatsheaf Oct 29th 2009 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 8055719)
Like so much else, it's a provincial matter.

ah yes. So many peepees....OPP, CPP, DPP....................