Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada - Would It Suit Us?

Canada - Would It Suit Us?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Bigstar14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Canada - Would It Suit Us?

"So Canada has none of the above scenarios? Or do class clashes still exist but are very constrained and barely noticeable?"

And as opposed to answering the question (as that is all I was looking for), board members immediately begin to troll themselves (eg. I'll get the popcorn out). This obviously makes me sound like a troll as well! This unfortunately IS what I was expecting, although hopping wouldn't happen.

To be fair I think you're taking the piss. Utopia (Shangri-La) probably doesn't exist. However if you manage to find it, come back to the forum and let us know.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada - Would It Suit Us?

Originally Posted by Bigstar14
" Utopia (Shangri-La) probably doesn't exist. However if you manage to find it, come back to the forum and let us know.
Have you looked at the North Shore of Nova Scotia?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:14 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Have you looked at the North Shore of Nova Scotia?
Sorry to disappoint old boy, that's Dystopia, not Utopia.

R.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EViS
Am I completely wrong in assuming this? It is ONLY based on what I have researched and has been said by members of these very own forums.
You are very wrong. If you live in a big city, anywhere in the world, you will have access to fashion. I even think that Toronto shopping by far surpasses London.

If you live in a small city, anywhere in the world, you will be hard pushed to find anything else than coveralls and wellies.

Maybe your research skills aren't as good as you think they are.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EViS
I absolutely love that. It's also something which would be great to get away from. I don't mind being honest (as you may have already noticed ) and saying that although I realise I shouldn't be doing it, I do have tendencies to look down upon what you've referred to as 'council estate rejects'. I guess this is mainly because most do not have any culture in them and have a hatred for the middle-class in the same manner that they are looked down upon...

So Canada has none of the above scenarios? Or do class clashes still exist but are very constrained and barely noticeable?

EDIT: No doubt I'll get another load of abuse for my above outlook again! As long as the question gets answered, I'll live with it .
No doubt you will.

The class society of UK is precisely why I hated living there. Being female executive I was still regarded as a secretary. You have to be a man, wealthy, drive expensive car and wear Boss/Armani suits to gain some respect. I ABSOLUTELY HATE PEOPLE LIKE THAT!!!

Allthough publicly UK claim to have abolished the class society it is very much there. Not to mention the racism. Just scratch the surface and you find an oozing boiling heap of ugly puss.

However, it cracks me up everytime I hear someone say "I want to leave UK due to the uncotrolled immigration" not realising that the person is going to become an immigrant him/her self. As much as I would hate to see such a person move to this wonderful place here, such a person would need to live a broad for a while and hopefully learn some humility. It is a good lesson to find out that maybe you will not be accepted in to your chosen career path, simply because you are an immigrant, and you end up driving taxi or subway trains despite having a university degree or even beeing a heart surgeon.

Honestly, what you are looking for you can find in UK. I really do not see why you would want to move as the type of people you look to associate with is all around you, even in the council estates.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by G77
What we really need is that guy from a few months ago to return - what was his name, AdrianinTO or something? Now that would make this thread really interesting
Geesh! Be careful what you wish for. You might not be able to wish it away.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

spanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the roughspanglish is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Nor have I. But I still think it'll suit their needs.
Well, I was born in Malaga and I don't think it will tick may boxes.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:34 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
What we really need is that guy from a few months ago to return - what was his name, AdrianinTO or something? Now that would make this thread really interesting
Who's going to send the e-mail?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=78440
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spanglish
Well, I was born in Malaga and I don't think it will tick may boxes.
And I spent years in Torremolinos and agree.

I think Marbella would be better suited. Or just any British Colony in Spain or France.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bigstar14
"So Canada has none of the above scenarios? Or do class clashes still exist but are very constrained and barely noticeable?"

And as opposed to answering the question (as that is all I was looking for), board members immediately begin to troll themselves (eg. I'll get the popcorn out). This obviously makes me sound like a troll as well! This unfortunately IS what I was expecting, although hopping wouldn't happen.
*Dips hand in popcorn bowl and stuff mouth*

Eeeew!! Did you have to get the candy popcorn? Got any plain salted ones?

To be fair I think you're taking the piss. Utopia (Shangri-La) probably doesn't exist. However if you manage to find it, come back to the forum and let us know.
I found it and it's called Toronto. Full of immigrants, different classes, loads of respect for people, friendly community, your background doesn't matter you will still be treated right, customer service.... Basically everything the OP isn't looking for.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:26 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
The class society of UK is precisely why I hated living there. Being female executive I was still regarded as a secretary.
Really love? That's nice. Be a dear and get us a Cuppa? Milk and one sugar. Thanks poppet.

God I hope she gets Irony..........
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Really love? That's nice. Be a dear and get us a Cuppa? Milk and one sugar. Thanks poppet.

God I hope she gets Irony..........

And if she doesn't ... really treading on dangerous ground now

Lynne
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
No doubt you will.

The class society of UK is precisely why I hated living there. Being female executive I was still regarded as a secretary. You have to be a man, wealthy, drive expensive car and wear Boss/Armani suits to gain some respect. I ABSOLUTELY HATE PEOPLE LIKE THAT!!!
I think the male/female thing isn't to do with class its just sexism. If I tell people I work in a hospital they assume I am a nurse. I have been working alongside a junior radiographer, but male, people assume that he is either a doctor or the boss. Nothing to do with class, or age, he could be a common little oik covered in pubescent spots but still be considered the boss, just because he's male.

We had a lecture from a young man recently. You would think he ran the company he worked for from the way he talked. Everyone was very impressed until ever cynical me commented that; a, He talked as if he ran the company when he in fact he is supervisor to 2 people, not the whole company. b, He used 6 slides to tell us about himself, wasting 10 minutes of my life. c He talked about the 2 people he supervised as if they were possessions, "my staff", "my girls" (that really annoys me). People took him at face value, he's a man so must be the boss. Hah

I didnt think that class existed here either but it does, it just manifests itself in different ways usually to do with money and or possessions, the car, the cottage.
<sits back and waits for responses>
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty

I didnt think that class existed here either but it does, it just manifests itself in different ways usually to do with money and or possessions, the car, the cottage.
<sits back and waits for responses>
Correct..but that class system also exists in the UK more or less too. I suspect its probably superceeded the traditional land ownership / posh school version of the class system there to a large extent.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 26th 2008 at 7:57 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 8:04 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Just read the title of the thread again and that says a lot too - Would Canada suit us????? If you contemplate a change its not whether the thing you want will suit you - rather you suit it.

To suggest that something as big as a country would suit an individuals purpose is quite arrogant methinks.

Its easy to change your own views and opinions regarding something, it is impossible to change a country full of others to suit you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.