Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada vs USA?

Canada vs USA?

Old Aug 22nd 2014, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada vs USA?

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Why does Vancouver consistently rank high in the annual list of the world's most livable cities but San Diego doesn't?
No clue and you seem to just have some sort of hate for San Diego. Those list's are about as stupid as you can get, Vancouver is nowhere close to what I call a livable city unless of course your wealthy. Vancouver is one of the most over-rated city's on this planet, and I have yet to figure out what people see in it.

Vancouver has:

Extremely high cost of living which makes San Diego look affordable.

Low wages..

Horrible congestion on par with Los Angeles with a fraction of the population.

High rent, high housing costs to buy.

Public transit system that is not adequate and outdated and only getting worse and is not affordable any longer.

Large homeless population, and drug addiction issues.

Not hard to pick and choose the negatives when you want to. All city's have benefits and negatives, but San Diego isn't this crap hole your trying to make it out to be.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
No clue and you seem to just have some sort of hate for San Diego. Those list's are about as stupid as you can get, Vancouver is nowhere close to what I call a livable city unless of course your wealthy. Vancouver is one of the most over-rated city's on this planet, and I have yet to figure out what people see in it.

Vancouver has:

Extremely high cost of living which makes San Diego look affordable.

Low wages..

Horrible congestion on par with Los Angeles with a fraction of the population.

High rent, high housing costs to buy.

Public transit system that is not adequate and outdated and only getting worse and is not affordable any longer.

Large homeless population, and drug addiction issues.

Not hard to pick and choose the negatives when you want to. All city's have benefits and negatives, but San Diego isn't this crap hole your trying to make it out to be.
Don't be ridiculous. I don't hate San Diego. I'm not making it out to be a crap hole at all. You are obviously incapable of having a meaningful discussion so I'm done.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 12:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be ridiculous. I don't hate San Diego. I'm not making it out to be a crap hole at all. You are obviously incapable of having a meaningful discussion so I'm done.
Well that's the feeling I got from all your negative posts about the city.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Why does Vancouver consistently rank high in the annual list of the world's most livable cities but San Diego doesn't?
Those surveys are usually quite lopsided. I cannot think of another city - other than Vancouver - that has such ridiculously overpriced properties and low income levels. For wealthy people, yes it's great.

I think jsmith has proved he is entirely capable of constructive, meaningful conversation but perhaps you just can't accept the opposition.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 3:14 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I've never really figured this out?

Crap job opportunities
High real estate prices
More homeless people per square km than I've ever seen
The sheer rudeness of the place
A huge Gang culture = Gangcouver
A nightlife comparable to Guildford High Street

The only great thing I see with Vancouver is the proximity to good snowboarding and snowsports during the winter. I think I could live there for the winter and put up with the crap night life. Otherwise thats it.......

Those liveability indexes are questionable.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

xavio4980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Canada and USA are like twins. They are sharing the same economic environment but i have noticed two things:
-cars are more cheaper in USA
-Many services are exclusive to US country but it is easy to have them if you have some friends here or you can go US for two or three weeks.
But in overall i mostly prefer canada.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Shopping prices are much better in good ol' USA. I used to live there and miss that part, but not the rampant consumerism.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 6:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing I find interesting is that San Diego (despite many people claiming they'd love to live there) never ranks high in the lists of most livable cities. There are many reasons for that - some of which I mentioned earlier.
I can't say I've ever noticed more homelessness in San Diego than any other major city, they seem to do a good job of hiding it. I'd say in Calgary I see more homeless people. I'm never quite clued up on why so many people like Novocastrian say they would want to live there. I'm always bored senseless when I'm there and as soon as you try and go out to do something you get caught in a traffic jam. Admittedly my family might have something to do with it, "having stupid arguments over Christmas dinner" isn't on most people's lists, I realize.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 6:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Vancouver is one of the most over-rated city's on this planet, and I have yet to figure out what people see in it.
Well every year when the The Economist comes out with their stupid list we have this thread. Somebody there apparently likes it a lot. It's far from being awful but it definitely has major downsides. Maybe we should buy them a plane ticket and make them sit in rush hour traffic for a week. Turn on the radio, "Well everyone someone's blown a tire on the Lion's Gate Bridge so you know what that means..." Gridlock. "Well everyone, someone's broken down in the Massey tunnel so you know what that means..." Gridlock.

What was it that one wag said, I think it was Ian MacLean... how your life goes in Canada;

Grow up in the middle of nowhere, wish you lived somewhere else;
Move to Toronto and get a job;
Make some money and start to realize you really don't like Toronto that much;
Wish you lived in Vancouver, everyone says it's nicer there;
Finally move to Vancouver, find all the homeless people have beaten you to it.
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve_
Well every year when the The Economist comes out with their stupid list we have this thread. Somebody there apparently likes it a lot. It's far from being awful but it definitely has major downsides. Maybe we should buy them a plane ticket and make them sit in rush hour traffic for a week. Turn on the radio, "Well everyone someone's blown a tire on the Lion's Gate Bridge so you know what that means..." Gridlock. "Well everyone, someone's broken down in the Massey tunnel so you know what that means..." Gridlock.

What was it that one wag said, I think it was Ian MacLean... how your life goes in Canada;

Grow up in the middle of nowhere, wish you lived somewhere else;
Move to Toronto and get a job;
Make some money and start to realize you really don't like Toronto that much;
Wish you lived in Vancouver, everyone says it's nicer there;
Finally move to Vancouver, find all the homeless people have beaten you to it.
So true, so true.

While I didn't like Toronto region itself, too many people/traffic, I really didn't mind the area's just outside of Toronto where I lived. Whitby wasn't bad, and easy to get around on transit, but close enough to Toronto to easily get there.

Port Hope was a little too small, but a very pretty area for sure, and still reasonably close to Toronto, and quite a few people commuted from that region to Toronto on Via Rail. But its a bit small for my liking.

If I could do it over again in 2012, I would have stayed put in Whitby and stayed in Ontario.