Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada Vs Australia : Better for PR?

Canada Vs Australia : Better for PR?

Old Jul 15th 2002, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

soum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada Vs Australia : Better for PR?

Hi there:

I was wondering if any of you have contemplated PR for both Australia and Canada. If you have an have done some research on it or been to Canada can you share some knowledge here pls.

I am currently in Sydney so know a fair bit of Australia but i have never visited Canada and don't know much about it - just the odd good parts that are in the internet site.

Which is a better country to live in - in terms of better career opportunites, standard of life, tax ( Australia has very high tax rates )

Any comments would be really appreaciated.

Thanx
Soum
Old Jul 15th 2002, 12:20 pm
The Wizzard

Default Re: Canada Vs Australia : Better for PR?

seriously i think it would be difficult to decide on paper, you need to visit Canada
and see which you would prefer to live in. Things like taxes, jobs, houses etc
probably arent all that different. They both have their british heritage but in
different ways. Australia has all your sun so forth and is good if you like that
kinda thing, personaly i couldnt be doing with all the animals out to get you hehe.
You should really fid which you like yoruself though because you are gonna live tehre
and spend a lot of time and money getting there and so forth. I think that its a more
common UK dilemma, where lots of people migrating look to those ex colonies with the
ties like Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa where there are still
things that feel familiar yet its got that new world attitudes of being a bit less
constrictive than the UK. look at why you want to move.

"soum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there:
    >
    > I was wondering if any of you have contemplated PR for both Australia and Canada.
    > If you have an have done some research on it or been to Canada can you share some
    > knowledge here pls.
    >
    > I am currently in Sydney so know a fair bit of Australia but i have never visited
    > Canada and don't know much about it - just the odd good parts that are in the
    > internet site.
    >
    > Which is a better country to live in - in terms of better career opportunites,
    > standard of life, tax ( Australia has very high tax rates )
    >
    > Any comments would be really appreaciated.
    >
    > Thanx Soum
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 19th 2002, 2:21 pm
Jaj

Some differences:

1. Climate in Canada is very different to Australia (although big differences within
each country too). Australia basically warmer, especially in winter.

2. Canada is closer to the US, has NAFTA, more integrated economically with US etc.
Cost of some consumer goods lower for this reason. Canada is also a lot closer to
Europe (in terms of ease of getting there) than Australia.

3. Canada has a French language element, although outside Quebec, NB and maybe
Ottawa you won't encounter it much at a day to day level.

4. Canada's population and economy are 50% bigger than Australia's.

5. UK qualifications and work experience probably more recognised in Australia, US
quals/experience more recognised in Canada

6. Three years for citizenship in Canada, 2 in Australia.

7. Not sure how Canadian taxes compare to Australia's on average, there is
probably more difference between the Canadian provinces than the different
Australian states.

Jeremy

>On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:54:04 +0000 (UTC), "The Wizzard"
    ><[email protected]> wrote: seriously i think it would be difficult to
    >decide on paper, you need to visit Canada and see which you would prefer to live in.
    >Things like taxes, jobs, houses etc probably arent all that different. They both
    >have their british heritage but in different ways. Australia has all your sun so
    >forth and is good if you like that kinda thing, personaly i couldnt be doing with
    >all the animals out to get you hehe. You should really fid which you like yoruself
    >though because you are gonna live tehre and spend a lot of time and money getting
    >there and so forth. I think that its a more common UK dilemma, where lots of people
    >migrating look to those ex colonies with the ties like Canada, Australia, New
    >Zealand and South Africa where there are still things that feel familiar yet its got
    >that new world attitudes of being a bit less constrictive than the UK. look at why
    >you want to move.
    >
    >
    >"soum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Hi there:
    >>
    >> I was wondering if any of you have contemplated PR for both Australia and Canada.
    >> If you have an have done some research on it or been to Canada can you share some
    >> knowledge here pls.
    >>
    >> I am currently in Sydney so know a fair bit of Australia but i have never visited
    >> Canada and don't know much about it - just the odd good parts that are in the
    >> internet site.
    >>
    >> Which is a better country to live in - in terms of better career opportunites,
    >> standard of life, tax ( Australia has very high tax rates )
    >>
    >> Any comments would be really appreaciated.
    >>
    >> Thanx Soum
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> --
    >

Old Jul 25th 2002, 9:20 pm
Rich D

I was born and raised in Canada, contemplated a move to Australia and now live in
the US. I know a couple of people that moved to Canada from Australia, according to
them the culture is relatively similar but different enough. Much like a previous
poster said, Canada is more influenced by the US and Australia more by the UK. I
believe that Canada is cheaper than Australia including taxes. It is certainly
colder on average and very cold in the winter in most parts, but nothing beats a
Canadian summer. That is still what I miss the most. Highs are typically in upper
20s (celsius) and the days are long. Everybody spends their summers outdoors on
patios and on the lakes. Ths sun stays up until 11pm so after work every day it
feels like a weekend.

The people are wonderful. They are fun-loving, non-aggressive, welcoming, respectful,
etc. Crime and pollution are generally very low. I am speaking of Western Canada
here, which is where I grew up and I think is the best part of Canada. The Rocky
Mountains are awe inspiring. The winters are nice too for a couple of months because
you get the change of seasons and the white Christmas and it is fun to do winter
sports for awhile, but Jan, Feb, and most of March are plain Hell. Plan to do indoor
activities. So, there is about 8 or so months of glory.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have! Good luck.

Old Jul 26th 2002, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Najeeb Ahmed is an unknown quantity at this point

I visited both Canada and Australia for a month time did a thorough research and definitely I would prefer Australia than Canada because of the following factors:

- Weather: Australian weather is not extreme as compared to Canada. A moderate weather stays throughout the year. One could go to beaches, mountains throughout the year. West coast e.g. Brisbane etc is really sexy in term of weather, beaches, discos etc.

- Job Opportunities: Australia is much better in term of job prospects and growth. People need to wait maximum 3 months to get a job as aussies are pretty aggressive in hiring whereas Canadian are pretty conservative in it and it normally takes around 6 months to strike up with a job offer.

- I hope I won't be sounding bias but I found Aussie more courteous and helpful than Canadian.

I further suggest that people from Asia/Far East/Middle East/Africa and East of Europe should prefer to move to Australia because of the obvious advantage of proximity or nearness to their native countries.

Hope this would help.
Cheers and bests,
Naj
Old Jul 26th 2002, 11:20 pm
Chris

Hey man, where are you coming from? I am from Romania, that's Eastern Europe, a
flight Toronto-Bucharest and return costs C$700 (winter time), Sydney-Bucharest and
return , same winter time, costs US$1,000. What you are saying about proximity to
Australia is valid for you people in Middle-East or Asia, but do not include here
Europeans. And about the weather in Toronto, that's Southern Ontario, it's similar,
if not identical, with the one in Central and Eastern Europe. I have lived 27 years
in Romania and 10 in Toronto, so I know what I am saying. But you forgot to include
some extract of the Steve Irwin's Crocodile Hunter!!! In case you do not mind waking
up in the morning with some reptiles in your bathroom, well Australia is the right
place for you. Chris

"Najeeb Ahmed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I visited both Canada and Australia for a month time did a thorough research and
    > definitely I would prefer Australia than Canada because of the following factors:
    >
    > - Weather: Australian weather is not extreme as compared to Canada. A moderate
    > weather stays throughout the year. One could go to beaches, mountains throughout
    > the year. West coast e.g. Brisbane etc is really sexy in term of weather,
    > beaches, discos etc.
    >
    > - Job Opportunities: Australia is much better in term of job prospects and growth.
    > People need to wait maximum 3 months to get a job as aussies are pretty
    > aggressive in hiring whereas Canadian are pretty conservative in it and it
    > normally takes around 6 months to strike up with a job offer.
    >
    > - I hope I won't be sounding bias but I found Aussie more courteous and helpful
    > than Canadian.
    >
    > I further suggest that people from Asia/Far East/Middle East/Africa and East of
    > Europe should prefer to move to Australia because of the obvious advantage of
    > proximity or nearness to their native countries.
    >
    > Hope this would help. Cheers and bests, Naj
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 27th 2002, 7:19 am
Jaj

>On 26 Jul 2002 13:20:15 GMT, Najeeb Ahmed <[email protected]> wrote:

>I visited both Canada and Australia for a month time did a thorough research and
    >definitely I would prefer Australia than Canada because of the following factors:
    >
    >- Weather: Australian weather is not extreme as compared to Canada. A moderate
    > weather stays throughout the year.

While Australia does not get the same winter cold as Canada (except in the Snowy
Mountains), Australian summer heatwaves (where the temperature rises to the 40C mark
and above) are more frequent than in Canada's major cities.

> One could go to beaches, mountains throughout the year.

South of the Tropic the beaches aren't quite so inviting in winter. You're right
about spring, summer and autumn though (except spring on the south coast).

As for the mountains, generally it's true except there is still danger of extreme
weather in the wintertime and bushfires in the summer.

>West coast e.g. Brisbane etc is really sexy in term of weather, beaches, discos etc.

I suggest you check your map once again - Brisbane is on the east coast.

>
    >- Job Opportunities: Australia is much better in term of job prospects and growth.
    > People need to wait maximum 3 months to get a job as aussies are pretty aggressive
    > in hiring whereas Canadian are pretty conservative in it and it normally takes
    > around 6 months to strike up with a job offer.

Much depends on the individual in these circumstances. Depending on your background,
qualifications, personality or experience, you may well find one country or the other
better for finding a job.

>
    >- I hope I won't be sounding bias but I found Aussie more courteous and helpful than
    > Canadian.
    >
    >I further suggest that people from Asia/Far East/Middle East/Africa and East of
    >Europe should prefer to move to Australia because of the obvious advantage of
    >proximity or nearness to their native countries.

Only SE Asia is clearly more proximate to Australia than the rest of the area you
mention. Plus, it's often a lot easier (and less costly, due to greater competition)
to get a flight to North America than to Australia.

Jeremy

Old Jul 28th 2002, 5:20 am
Zorro

Hi Ahmed

I am surprised that you say Aussies are friendlier than Canadians. I thought they are
more racist. Don't you think? I've visited Australia but not Canada. Can you tell me
more about your experiences in Canada?

Which parts of Canada and Australia did you go?

I think one big advantage of living Canada is its proximity to USA which, despite the
recession, is still the biggest economy in the world. If the US economy recovers,
Canadians can always cross over to work in USA, right?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

William "Najeeb Ahmed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I visited both Canada and Australia for a month time did a thorough research and
    > definitely I would prefer Australia than Canada because of the following factors:
    >
    > - Weather: Australian weather is not extreme as compared to Canada. A moderate
    > weather stays throughout the year. One could go to beaches, mountains throughout
    > the year. West coast e.g. Brisbane etc is really sexy in term of weather,
    > beaches, discos etc.
    >
    > - Job Opportunities: Australia is much better in term of job prospects and growth.
    > People need to wait maximum 3 months to get a job as aussies are pretty
    > aggressive in hiring whereas Canadian are pretty conservative in it and it
    > normally takes around 6 months to strike up with a job offer.
    >
    > - I hope I won't be sounding bias but I found Aussie more courteous and helpful
    > than Canadian.
    >
    > I further suggest that people from Asia/Far East/Middle East/Africa and East of
    > Europe should prefer to move to Australia because of the obvious advantage of
    > proximity or nearness to their native countries.
    >
    > Hope this would help. Cheers and bests, Naj
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 28th 2002, 6:20 am
Andrew Miller

Canadians cannot just simply cross the border to work in the US - we are required to
have proper work permits as everyone else. It may be easier to get one under NAFTA,
but that's all and we still need it. Canadian permanent residents cannot even use
NAFTA options when asking for work visa in US, as NAFTA applies only to citizens.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
millercicanada.com (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"zorro" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Ahmed
    >
    > I am surprised that you say Aussies are friendlier than Canadians. I thought they
    > are more racist. Don't you think? I've visited Australia but not Canada. Can you
    > tell me more about your experiences in Canada?
    >
    > Which parts of Canada and Australia did you go?
    >
    > I think one big advantage of living Canada is its proximity to USA which, despite
    > the recession, is still the biggest economy in the world. If the US economy
    > recovers, Canadians can always cross over to work in USA, right?
    >
    > Hope to hear from you soon.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > William