Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada versus England

Canada versus England

Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Tony_n_Sares is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Canada versus England

I don't know about the folks on this website and what peoples individual circumstances are but I assume that most people are either newly moved to Canada or thinking of going.

My family are all working towards an eventual move to Canada - Vancouver and are hoping that teachers are in need in this area. We are trepadacious about the move especially for the children but have not heard any nightmare stories as yet.

We don't expect a bed of roses but can we assume that the people are friendly and the culture shock isn't too huge I wonder?

This is the first time on this website although I have visited and read through details previously. Hope a thread can start with some advice. Especially in light of the expo and what that could reveal for those thinking of going over in the near future.

Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:49 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada versus England

Welcome.

I suggest you read the Wiki articles for an overview of immigration to and life in Canada. Especially the one about teaching in Canada. It might make you even more trepidacious still.

AX
Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:52 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome!

As for the match IMO no contest, it's a whitewash like comparing Chelsea Vs Droylsden or the Red Wings Vs Brampton Battalion! Apart from a few inconsequential things the only major plus for the UK is if your born there then family and friends are there but then new friends can be made and family will always be family no matter where you chose to live your life.

Now Canada Vs Auz or NZ is a bit fairer match up me thinks
Old Jun 11th 2008, 2:24 am
Just Joined

Canadian Star is an unknown quantity at this point

Get out here mate soon as you can, you'll never regret it !
Old Jun 11th 2008, 5:49 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mikey B
Welcome!

As for the match IMO no contest, it's a whitewash like comparing Chelsea Vs Droylsden or the Red Wings Vs Brampton Battalion! Apart from a few inconsequential things the only major plus for the UK is if your born there then family and friends are there but then new friends can be made and family will always be family no matter where you chose to live your life.

Now Canada Vs Auz or NZ is a bit fairer match up me thinks
What if you view Canada as Droylsden or Brampton Battalion. Not that I am a fan of the smurfs.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 11:12 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the site

I see that you are looking at going to the expo so that is your starting place. Like it has been mentioned have a look at the wiki full of info there.

There is also a great housing weblink for Canada www.mls.ca this will give you an idea of housing costs. I used www.xe.com/ucc as a currency converter as well when I first started looking.

Newspapers are another good tool I have found some links for you:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/index.html

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/index.html

Try to be a bit more specific with your posts though, more info or you might get a response that you might not appreciate.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Cassie 10000; Jun 11th 2008 at 11:12 am. Reason: added
Old Jun 12th 2008, 1:01 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gingnut
What if you view Canada as Droylsden or Brampton Battalion. Not that I am a fan of the smurfs.
If anyone seriously views Canada as those then I, every Brit and Canadian I have ever met (especially the ones who have travelled to the UK) must be living on a different planet or on drugs or both!

If anyone seriously thinks that then I offer them a month of my time to show them what many things this country has to offer but in one word....opportunity!

Mikey
AKA Ambassador for Canada
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Good luck Tony and Sares,

You mentioned people friendly and culture shock not too great... I would say generally people are friendly but no more so than in th UK. Culture shock will be more than you expect, depending on area of course.

What are you most 'trepadacious' about? moving with kids will most likely be the easiest way of settling in and meeting new friends.
This is a geat place to get all kinds of info. good luck with your plans...
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

simeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tony_n_Sares
I don't know about the folks on this website and what peoples individual circumstances are but I assume that most people are either newly moved to Canada or thinking of going.

My family are all working towards an eventual move to Canada - Vancouver and are hoping that teachers are in need in this area. We are trepadacious about the move especially for the children but have not heard any nightmare stories as yet.

We don't expect a bed of roses but can we assume that the people are friendly and the culture shock isn't too huge I wonder?

This is the first time on this website although I have visited and read through details previously. Hope a thread can start with some advice. Especially in light of the expo and what that could reveal for those thinking of going over in the near future.

hi
and welcome
my 4 kids adapted easily, they `re treated like rock stars.
On the whole we love it, but i think this rule applies to teachers qualifications as it does nurses. my wife was a midwife in the U.K, but it counts as nothing here. She has to go to school again ($16,000) and pass the exams. I`,m not sure if this is true, but there is supposed to be a neuro-surgeon, a father at my kids school, driving a taxi .
good luck sim
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough

Tony_n_Sares,

Sorry to be bad news, but my wife is a teacher and she won't be teaching in Canada. Recognition of qualifications is one thing, the other thing is I am led to belive is that Canada seems to be oversupplied with teachers, and it can take up to five years to get a regular class room teaching position with a lot of supply work before that all over the place.

My wife & I will be moving over to Toronto (all being well) in August.

Sorry,

Mr B.

Last edited by Mr and Mrs B.; Jun 16th 2008 at 8:45 am.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 12:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs B.
Tony_n_Sares,

Sorry to be bad news, but my wife is a teacher and she won't be teaching in Canada. Recognition of qualifications is one thing, the other thing is I am led to belive is that Canada seems to be oversupplied with teachers, and it can take up to five years to get a regular class room teaching position with a lot of supply work before that all over the place.

My wife & I will be moving over to Toronto (all being well) in August.

Sorry,

Mr B.
That's the nub of it....Canada is oversupplied with teachers as it is so it's not so much getting UK qualifications recognised but getting a job. It is possible but it will take sometime. How do you pay the bills in the meantime? To my mind it only works if one partner is able to work in another job that pays enough to support the couple/family. If you are both teachers then I'm afraid you're probably out of luck.

AX
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:10 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
If you are both teachers then I'm afraid you're probably out of luck.
There's always Home Depot.

R.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

sarky marky has a spectacular aura aboutsarky marky has a spectacular aura aboutsarky marky has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rich_007
There's always Home Depot.

R.
hi all, whats "home depot"? is it like B&Q or Homebase in uk? If so my Mrs will be happy, she works for Homebase and is hoping to stay in the same industry when we get out there, assuming that they let her work and she still wants too after 6-9 month off work!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 2:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarky marky
hi all, whats "home depot"? is it like B&Q or Homebase in uk?
Yes. See also Loews and Rona.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 8:50 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simeongb
hi
and welcome
my 4 kids adapted easily, they `re treated like rock stars.
On the whole we love it, but i think this rule applies to teachers qualifications as it does nurses. my wife was a midwife in the U.K, but it counts as nothing here. She has to go to school again ($16,000) and pass the exams. I`,m not sure if this is true, but there is supposed to be a neuro-surgeon, a father at my kids school, driving a taxi .
good luck sim
Hiya

Im a nurse - General trained, qualifiactions have been accepted by CRNBC no problems and have been approved for Temp registration pending my exam. Even as a midwife, your wife should have done her general training first? Ive been qualified 13 years and from what I know midwifery was always an added 18 months training on top of general training? Just wondering whythey wouldnt accept her quals - sorry to hijack the thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.