Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada or UK more expensive for....

Canada or UK more expensive for....

Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:57 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada or UK more expensive for....

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Hiya, I'm new here.

I have a job to go to in St John's Newfie (for Downhome magazine)
Firstly, welcome to BE. Another Newfoundland BE poster? My unique status is rapidly diminishing. Secondly, 'Newfie' is a term used to describe the people from Newfoundland rather than the place. It is variously offensive or in-offensive depending upon your point of view. (Recently debated at length in the local paper). I'd use with care until you become more comfortable with people here.

Some things are more expensive here. For example groceries, especially fresh fruit and veg. It's a function of the logistics cost of getting here and limited competition. House prices are low compared to other areas in Canada but are increasing - forecast 12% next year, due to a general sense of optimism about future offshore oil projects, a new refinery, etc etc. Car Insurance is very expensive. Again limited competition. Do bring your no-claims history from UK. (Assuming it's good).

Main issue here can be salary vs the mainland. In general (oil industry excepted) salary is lower than elsewhere although there is upwards pressure due to lack of skilled people. So you get to move where things cost more but you earn less! (housing excepted.) For me, the other benefits of living here (Mrs AX being a Newfie) outweigh that but it's worth considering if you have no actual ties to the place.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

Cheers,
AX
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Secondly, 'Newfie' is a term used to describe the people from Newfoundland rather than the place. It is variously offensive or in-offensive depending upon your point of view. (Recently debated at length in the local paper). I'd use with care until you become more comfortable with people here.
AX
Thanks for the clarification that should stop me from putting my foot in it if I ever get a chance to visit Newfoundland

Last edited by Elaine B.; Oct 24th 2007 at 2:03 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 24th 2007, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Firstly, welcome to BE. Another Newfoundland BE poster? My unique status is rapidly diminishing. Secondly, 'Newfie' is a term used to describe the people from Newfoundland rather than the place. It is variously offensive or in-offensive depending upon your point of view. (Recently debated at length in the local paper). I'd use with care until you become more comfortable with people here.

Some things are more expensive here. For example groceries, especially fresh fruit and veg. It's a function of the logistics cost of getting here and limited competition. House prices are low compared to other areas in Canada but are increasing - forecast 12% next year, due to a general sense of optimism about future offshore oil projects, a new refinery, etc etc. Car Insurance is very expensive. Again limited competition. Do bring your no-claims history from UK. (Assuming it's good).

Main issue here can be salary vs the mainland. In general (oil industry excepted) salary is lower than elsewhere although there is upwards pressure due to lack of skilled people. So you get to move where things cost more but you earn less! (housing excepted.) For me, the other benefits of living here (Mrs AX being a Newfie) outweigh that but it's worth considering if you have no actual ties to the place.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

Cheers,
AX
Oops.....thanks for that, it's a process of learning for me all this!

Well, that's great, i will certainly get notification of no claims from the UK.

me and the wife came to Newfoundland in August for the long weekend, it's stunning, we are so excited.

Thanks fo the reply (and sorry if anyone got offended)
C
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

John_Wilson is an unknown quantity at this point

Bananas cost $0.57 lb at the grocery store here in BC

That's about £0.29 lb
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_Wilson

That's about £0.29 lb
Brilliant, my little monkeys eat about three bunches a week.

What about apples and honey dew-melon?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:33 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Dairy and Bread are way cheaper in English supermarkets - and goodness I miss supermarket wine (Wine is pricey in BC, but spirits seemed a bit of a bargain when we first arrived)

However, I expect the dairy subsidies in UK will stop soon, and after the floods produce prices are going up

But as XPat says - really all this info is nice to know but somewhat immaterial until you know where you will be living and what you will be earning.

Mind you some things were never in the budget in England (e.g. ski equipment and passes)
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Dairy and Bread are way cheaper in English supermarkets - and goodness I miss supermarket wine (Wine is pricey in BC, but spirits seemed a bit of a bargain when we first arrived)

However, I expect the dairy subsidies in UK will stop soon, and after the floods produce prices are going up

But as XPat says - really all this info is nice to know but somewhat immaterial until you know where you will be living and what you will be earning.

Mind you some things were never in the budget in England (e.g. ski equipment and passes)

Milk has gone up 5p per pint in the last month!
No doubt butter and cheese will follow soon.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:44 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

When we first arrived we were quite careful about checking the prices of everything in the supermarket. Avoiding things that seemed expensive, and shopping elsewhere if we could get them cheaper. Now, we've just stopped looking and just buy what we want. Life is too short for such trivial concerns.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
When we first arrived we were quite careful about checking the prices of everything in the supermarket. Avoiding things that seemed expensive, and shopping elsewhere if we could get them cheaper. Now, we've just stopped looking and just buy what we want. Life is too short for such trivial concerns.
So very true
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manghams
Brilliant, my little monkeys eat about three bunches a week.

What about apples and honey dew-melon?
Mcintosh, Ambrosia or Jonagold apples - 87c per pound

Empire apples $3.88 per 5 pound bag

Organic Delicious apples - 99c per pound

Not sure of melon prices

Giant Red Globe Grapes - $1.48 per pound

Lots of organic fruit and veggies are also available.

Jo
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:32 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Although I'm not daft enough to blow my money on "organic" food. Inorganic is fine for me.

http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarch...jun/cheltenham
Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Although I'm not daft enough to blow my money on "organic" food. Inorganic is fine for me.

I don't buy organic either - but I know several people who do
Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Inorganic food? Hmmm, let's list them.

Salt.

Important for sure, but perhaps a tad insufficient?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_Wilson

That's about £0.29 lb

I vote we all go to the Australia forum and rub that in their faces They are always complaining about the price of bananas (and lettuce )
Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:28 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

I don't buy organic here unless it is on sale, which isn't often. Far too expensive. On a recent visit to UK we found far more choice of organic and only a little more than non-organic instead of the dollars more over here.

Thanks for prices on electric, car ins. really useful to know, just in case we decide to go back part-time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.