Reload this Page >

Canada with small children, schools etc. french/billingual areas

Canada with small children, schools etc. french/billingual areas

Old Sep 21st 2015, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Landj2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada with small children, schools etc. french/billingual areas

Hi,

I'd like some information on the french speaking and billingual areas of Canada please.

We are thinking of relocating from France with 2 small children (7&4), although we are all British.

We're looking more in the french and billingual areas as we all speak french, however, we're not ruling other places out completely.

Where are good places for children, good schools etc? Any places to avoid? Any information would be much appreciated at the moment !

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 9:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada with small children, schools etc. french/billingual areas

I think the first step would be to figure out where you'd get a visa to move to - as I'm sure you're aware, Quebec and the rest of Canada have two completely separate visa eligibility processes and criteria, so I think you'd first need to establish if you would be eligible under Federal rules, or Quebec, or both.

You'll also need to figure out if you need a job offer to get a visa (most people do), because if so, you might just need to go wherever you can find work, and not have much of a choice in your location. What do you both do?
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Landj2011
Hi,

I'd like some information on the french speaking and billingual areas of Canada please.
If you want to live and work in French then you're limited to Qc and parts of NB. There are some francophone areas of ON and MB but they're poor and so unlikely destinations. A francophone daughter of mine managed to work in French in BC but I doubt there's a second person who's been able to do that.

If you're willing to work in English but live, and have the children educated, in French then the GTA works (perhaps other places too but I've no direct experience). Several of my children's school teachers in Toronto spoke French but no English, that must be socially limiting but it's possible.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 4:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Where you are in France and the reason for the move might help with answers.

Are you wanting 'big city' or something else?
Old Sep 21st 2015, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Where you are in France and the reason for the move might help with answers.

Are you wanting 'big city' or something else?

The OP should also be aware, if they are looking at Quebec, children of immigrants are required to go to French school (children of TWPs aren't).

With a bit more information I might have some more thoughts on immigrating to Quebec to share .