Wikiposts

Is Canada right for us?

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

neo1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Canada right for us?

We are looking to emigrate from the UK. Here is our current situation:

- Co-habiting Couple
- Male, 27, Senior ICT Technician (Qualified at Diploma Level, MCP, MCSA, ITIL)
- Female, 30, Nursery Nurse (Qualified at Diploma Level, also a qualified Holistic Therapist)
- Daughter, 19 months
- £17,000 savings
- Own a property which we are letting out
- Currently living in rented accommodation
- No family ties
- No debts, credit cards or CCJ's

We are both really keen on moving to Canada or Australia, having done some research, Australia seems a little bit expensive, but has a better climate.

We are looking for a fresh start & to provide our daughter with a better standard of life than the UK would offer.

I'd like to know what your thoughts would be on the following:

1. Would we be accepted into Canada?

2. Would we be able to find work in our fields?

3. Is the lifestyle lightyears ahead of the UK?

4. Would we be able to afford to have a decent standard of living?

We are very careful with money, we don't keep up with the Jones' & only live to our needs.

Thank you for reading
Old Apr 24th 2010, 12:41 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Canada right for us?

Originally Posted by neo1982
We are looking for a fresh start & to provide our daughter with a better standard of life than the UK would offer.

What is particularly wrong with your standard of life in the UK? Or what is the baseline that you would measure a new standard of life from?

Possibly. Study the WIKI and www.cic.gc.ca for more.

Childcare, yes I'd say but thats a minimum wage job generally. ICT tech? Thats computers right? Well you might be able to do but Canada has computer tech's by the dozen already.

That depends on what you are comparing it to but in general terms, NO, not if you have a reasonable lifestyle in the UK. It's not lightyears ahead, but it might be the same or better. Usually it involves a bigger house.

Define decent? What do you call your current standard of living?

We are very careful with money, we don't keep up with the Jones' & only live to our needs.

Thank you for reading
AX
Old Apr 24th 2010, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
It is very difficult to answer your questions, as people differ, as do what they like and their aspirations. Canada is vast and you would need to research all the provinces and do some visits to get a feel for the places yourself.

There is no corner cutting here I am afraid. As for the job situation...many have said that they have found it difficult to break into the same field, especially in IT.

The other main thing to consider is whether your job is on the list of needed occupations as published by CHC. Or.... you will need to approach employers and if you are lucky enough to get a job offer, that company would need to jump through some hoops in order to employ you.

Many would not want to bother unless your job was in a niche market and they could not find the skills in Canada.

Presumably you would be looking for Permanent Residence? There are also student visa routes and you would probably still be of an age for BUNAC, which is only for a year. Then there is temp Work permits, have a look at the Wiki on the blue bar at the top of the page.

What I would say to anyone who is considering a move abroad is: "Would you want to be sat in an old folks home in your dotage and wish you had given it a go?" If you go and don't like it...you come back. Yes it would have been an expensive exercise, but it is only money at the end of the day.
Hope this helps and Good luck, whatever you decide
lol
Stef

- Co-habiting Couple
- Female, 30, Nursery Nurse (Qualified at Diploma Level, also a qualified Holistic Therapist)
- Daughter, 19 months
- £17,000 savings
- No family ties

We are both really keen on moving to Canada or Australia, having done some research, Australia seems a little bit expensive, but has a better climate.

Thank you for reading
Old Apr 24th 2010, 12:51 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Australia seems a little bit expensive, but has a better climate.
Not if you want to have your daughter growing up with the opportunity to do snow sports.

Canada can be right for you- but there will be hardwork in finding the right part of Canada to move too. Then there will be a difficult few months settling in whilst you pin down work. The standard of living question often come's down to income and that can be a big problem for immigrants in a job market that is very much driven by who you know.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 1:36 am
Just Joined

neo1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't say there's anything in particular wrong with our standard of life, we are comfortable money wise, live in a nice 3 bed semi in a quite cul-de-sac & have average paid jobs.

We've just become frustrated with this country with regards to the laws & regulations, the UK tends to help people have nothing or people who have a lot, but anyone just scraping above nothing, gets no help.

Also, I believe the UK is far too over populated & being a member of the EU means our boarder controls will never be as good as Australia (for example). The prediction is for a population of 70 million by 2020, which would mean that 4-5 more cities would need to be built in the UK the size of Birmingham (relating my facts on a Panaroma program I saw recently). The UK just can't fit that many people in without the standard of living going down.

Just having a bigger house & not being so cramped is attractive enough to reason for us to move.

Looking at the comment from your post AX, I get the sense that our jobs wouldn't be that valued. I know too well that there are a lot of IT Technicians around, a lot it happens to be said have no qualifications & in a market like we are living in at the moment, they are the ones that would struggle to find work.

I check the list of jobs by the CHC about 6 months ago & the only wanted I.T. role was in Management, a path I will follow in the near future.

We've been looking at the South-East of Canada. I don't know if that would be the right part to move too?

A good standard of life for us would be, peaceful surroundings, close to beautiful scenary, good educational facilities & health care, nearby amenities & somewhere that has a relatively low crime rate & friendly people. Somewhere we could settle down as a family & help our children lead sucessfull healthy lifes.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 1:41 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

If you pass this, then yes.

Yes.

That depends on you, where you move, and what your interests are. There are probably more possiblities for a unique lifestyle here than in the UK.

That depends on you, where you move, and what your interests are.

Last edited by Bleepedy Bloops; Apr 24th 2010 at 1:43 am.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:31 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.

It's for pretty much for the same reasons you have quoted that we decided we wanted to leave the UK too. We have two children and wanted a better standard of living/future for them and I believe we have that here.

I can't comment on your job prospects etc - I really have no idea with regard to either of your fields.

Like someone else said, Canada is a vast country and, as such, varies so much from province to province with regard to standard of living, scenery, amenities etc etc. I can only really comment on the area that we live, which is just outside Calgary in Alberta. We have a good standard of living, better than what we had in the UK. Yes, we have a big house (far bigger than what we really need to be honest) for pretty much the same money that we sold our small three bed semi for in the UK. We find education and healthcare all good here. Everyone seems to be friendly and welcoming and we have met a lot of new friends, both Brits and Canadians. We find the pace of life generally a bit slower and more chilled which we like. We have easy access to both the city and the mountains.

I know you also mentioned climate. In this part of the country we get very hot summers. Yes, the winters can be cold but, personally, we don't find that a problem - you just dress accordingly. This past winter was rarely really cold and we didn't even have that much snow. I think I only had to shovel our driveway a handful of times throughout the whole winter. We rarely get rain and it's nearly always a sunny blue sky here. Because of the proximity to the mountains, we sometimes get chinook winds which can give you warm, almost summer like temperatures even in the winter time. Certainly this past winter, I think we had a fairer winter that the UK!

Like someone else said, in Canada, your daughter would have the opportunity to participate in winter sports too. My daughter has done skiing and skating with her school and loves it. OK, here in Alberta, we may not have the vast beaches of Austrailia but, in the summer, there's plenty of lovely lakes to swim in, some of which do in fact have beaches!

I agree, you will need to do lots of research (and recee trips!) to find an area (or country) that suits you. I guess a lot may depend on where you think you will have better prospects with regard to work too.

Anyway, good luck and all the best with whichever and wherever!

I wouldn't say there's anything in particular wrong with our standard of life, we are comfortable money wise, live in a nice 3 bed semi in a quite cul-de-sac & have average paid jobs.

We've just become frustrated with this country with regards to the laws & regulations, the UK tends to help people have nothing or people who have a lot, but anyone just scraping above nothing, gets no help.

Also, I believe the UK is far too over populated & being a member of the EU means our boarder controls will never be as good as Australia (for example). The prediction is for a population of 70 million by 2020, which would mean that 4-5 more cities would need to be built in the UK the size of Birmingham (relating my facts on a Panaroma program I saw recently). The UK just can't fit that many people in without the standard of living going down.

Just having a bigger house & not being so cramped is attractive enough to reason for us to move.

Looking at the comment from your post AX, I get the sense that our jobs wouldn't be that valued. I know too well that there are a lot of IT Technicians around, a lot it happens to be said have no qualifications & in a market like we are living in at the moment, they are the ones that would struggle to find work.

I check the list of jobs by the CHC about 6 months ago & the only wanted I.T. role was in Management, a path I will follow in the near future.

We've been looking at the South-East of Canada. I don't know if that would be the right part to move too?

A good standard of life for us would be, peaceful surroundings, close to beautiful scenary, good educational facilities & health care, nearby amenities & somewhere that has a relatively low crime rate & friendly people. Somewhere we could settle down as a family & help our children lead sucessfull healthy lifes.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:37 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

- Co-habiting Couple
- Daughter, 19 months
- £17,000 savings
- No family ties

Thank you for reading
If you have ask this question in a public forum, then you may want to question whether immigration is a good choice.

Australia has a different climate, whether it is better or not is subjective. Personally, a few days at a time in Australia was always enough for me.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 3:59 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with ax's first post. However....

i) You do seem to be making a big deal about immigration in your reasoning; I'm not going to question your motives because I don't really care - you definitely should though. We see 'for the kids' loads on here and, I for one, am quite cynical about that as a motivation for emigrating.

ii) Unless you have a lot of equity you are going to find the cost of housing expensive if only one of you has a job. In fact, in your position I wouldn't move without at least one decent income secured first. 17,000 doesn't buy that many dollars right now.

iii) Healthcare isn't 100% free. If it's not provided by your employer it's a significant cost.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:16 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
iii) Healthcare isn't 100% free. If it's not provided by your employer it's a significant cost.
I thought it differed by Province - hasn't Alberta abolished the premiums?
I'm thinking of BC so not really looked into it for Alberta, but thought so from a Dr I spoke to.

Anyway to the OP - worth googling the healthcare by province to understand what is covered / not & how the premiums work.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:18 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

- Co-habiting Couple
- Daughter, 19 months
- £17,000 savings
- No family ties

Thank you for reading
Thank you.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 10:34 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

- Co-habiting Couple
- Daughter, 19 months
- £17,000 savings
- No family ties

Thank you for reading
You may want to read this - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...74#post8505674

Other than question 1, nobody will be able to answer your other questions i'm afraid, other than yourself. That can take lots of research, time, and expense.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by el_richo
Other than question 1, nobody will be able to answer your other questions i'm afraid, other than yourself. That can take lots of research, time, and expense.
I couldn't agree more. Everybody has such questions and the only way you can answer the questions other than number 1, is to get out here... So here are 3 suggestions for you:

Suggestion 1 - do as much research as you can, sell up and move out. This is the highest risk but most convenient if you end up loving it out here.

Suggestion 2 - do basic research and get out here without diminishing your options in UK

Suggestion 3 - if you don't feel comfortable taking risks then stay put.

The only way you can answer your questions is by coming out here. There's a limit to how much your research will help you predict whether you'll like it.

Your first question is a really important one. Just a word of caution. Many expats came out as skilled workers. However it's a lengthy and expensive process. And after all of this some find they don't like it and don't stay long.

So my suggestion to you with all other things considered is to see if either of you would qualify for a work permit. Work permits are granted for a specific job with a specific employer, where there are no local people suitable. It is quite a bit of work for the employer, but it's relatively inexpensive, and will get you and your partner out here really quickly. WPs are immensely risky though, and very restrictive. But the good thing about them is that the person who is granted a work permit can request an open work permit for their partner. The partner is then free to work in many roles without pre-arranging employment. I believe childcare may require your partner to get a medical and quite possibly police checks.

One survival strategy would be to have the person who's earning potential is more limited to get the work permit. The other person's increased earning potential combined with the open work permit would minimize the risk and increase chance of financial survival.

I would suggest you combine the work permit route with suggestion 2 above. Sounds like you have a bit of a financial cushion, perfectly adequate for doing this kind of thing. Your challenge is finding a job whereby an employer is prepared to go through the work permit admin. That's tough without you being here, so perhaps consider having a holiday in Canada and seeing what interest there is in either of you.

You should also check out the BUNAC work visa. I'm not sure on the age requirements for this though.

Once you've made some decisions, use this and other resources as much as you can. But however much you do, you're always going to be taking a big risk. The question comes down to whether you're comfortable with this or not.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:08 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bali2010
I thought it differed by Province - hasn't Alberta abolished the premiums?
I'm thinking of BC so not really looked into it for Alberta, but thought so from a Dr I spoke to.

Anyway to the OP - worth googling the healthcare by province to understand what is covered / not & how the premiums work.
It's not so much the premiums but what you have to pay for. Prescriptions, physiotherapy, counselling, psychologists, anything other than a plaster of Paris cast for a #, crutches, birth control, hearing aids, eye tests...

I'm still laughing at the 'life style' being light years ahead.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Just as an addendum, the costs you cannot predict or plan for in Canada do tend to be much higher than in UK. You will need to consider this and maintain a large financial shock absorber. Depending on where you live, and the cards that life throws at you here, Canada can be absurdly expensive to have even a modest lifestyle. Most Canadians don't seem to have lavish lifestyles and unless you're really lucky you'll find struggling to make ends meet on a continual basis, part of life here. But sounds like your common sense and frugality may put you in a good position to survive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.