Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada in recession?

Canada in recession?

Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada in recession?

My neighbor owns a car dealership,,he,s having his best ever year
His theory is that the MB economy is less volatile as that of ON. and other parts of Canada
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:20 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
His theory is that the MB economy is less volatile as that of ON. and other parts of Canada
I'd agree with that, Manitoba has small booms and subsequent smaller busts, and is probably one of the best positioned provinces to whether the storm. Alberta and Ontario rely heavily on Oil and manufacturing respectively, which have been hit hard.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrb143
I'd agree with that, Manitoba has small booms and subsequent smaller busts, and is probably one of the best positioned provinces to whether the storm. Alberta and Ontario rely heavily on Oil and manufacturing respectively, which have been hit hard.
And coz i,m so wise i chose to live here,rather than those other oily places
Old Dec 10th 2008, 3:29 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deck
Im in england first ive heard canada is in the s... slowed down a bit yes but recession i dont think so.
Oh, OK. You'd know then.

R.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

stan794 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am due out in March on TWP to work in construction, would this be a foolish move at moment now this has been announced?

cheers
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:21 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stan794
I am due out in March on TWP to work in construction, would this be a foolish move at moment now this has been announced?

cheers
Depends if you have a job lined up, how secure it is, where it is, what sector of construction it is......

The announcement doesn't change anything in day to day terms.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:22 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
It depends where

Some economic effects creep across Canada at the speed of molasses, some more outlying parts could take an extra few months before its felt, along with that it’ll probably take and extra few months to recover
If the US pull back some jobs some places will take years to recover
Maybe if you have some raw material that stay’s in high demand during the recession then that area may benefit but most commodities and industry will be impacted
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

stan794 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its in Vancouver, I have a job offer with a Plastering company.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 5:27 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers
Sorry to bang on again but I did a thread last week on Coming to Alberta - the gist of which was to proceed with extreme caution at the moment if you are coming, especially to Calgary, on a TWP. Judging by some of the comments on here it may apply to many other provinces too - indeed all of Canada. If you are single then it's probably not such a big deal but for people with families I would really strongly recommend a second thought. The other problem can be how long the TWP is for one/two years as the may not be renewed again - even if you employer wants to keep you - the powers that be can refuse to renew - it almost happened to us when we first arrived. If it is felt that Canadians are seeking jobs they will not keep temporary workers.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It'll be interesting to see what happens if Harper clings to power. The rest of the western world is pursuing Keynesian policies of economic stimulation which he rejects in favour of Reaganomics. One might expect that to lead disaster for Canada; surely Stephen Harper can't be right while the rest of the world is wrong? A stimulus package in the US might spill over the border but not if comes with protectionist measures such as repatriating American jobs. We may expect poverty but, at least, it'll be academically interesting poverty.

German ridicule for UK policies.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7776462.stm

Looks like the Germans don't think much of the British Keynesian solution so Harper may not be out of step that much.

(I don't quite follow some of the figures at the end of the BBC article. Surely the German figures are millions not billions?)
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf

Looks like the Germans don't think much of the British Keynesian solution so Harper may not be out of step that much.

(I don't quite follow some of the figures at the end of the BBC article. Surely the German figures are millions not billions?)
Ich denke dass Herr Steinbruck mit einem Gabelzunge spricht.

(ouch, that doesn't sound at all right in German)
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ich denke dass Herr Steinbruck mit einem Gabelzunge spricht.

(ouch, that doesn't sound at all right in German)
try-- Herr Steinbruck spricht mit gespaltene zunge
Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:03 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I thought you lived in Kamloops?
Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:15 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf

heck lets all borrow and spend that will get us out of trouble. I will borrow money to build an extension on my garage and put in a wireless network out as far as the shed. I will also resurface the drive and replace all the windows.... see it is only sensible infrastructure spending surely that is not wrong ?

I am not saying spending spree stimuli is a bad thing but many of the frenzy spending that the world is embarking on is like "one up man ship" who can brag about the biggest bail out package! Heck everyone seems to trying to out do each other to win the bleakest outlook description award.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 6:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple80
Yes, it's official here, working in a shop I have noticed that it has gone quiet even with Christmas coming up, people are using debit instead of credit cards.

The general populace appears to be worried and every day more job losses are announced.

Roll on 2009.....

Charlie

I work retail and see the same thing, lots of cash and debit, few credit cards, some days no credit cards.

Our sales are down quite a lot vs last year people just don't seem to be buying and you would never guess Christmas was in 2 weeks.

I am getting laid off on the 27th so count me in the unemployment in January.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.