Canada Recce Trip Advice

Canada Recce Trip Advice

Old Sep 13th 2022, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

RichMitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Canada Recce Trip Advice

Hey All,

Just reaching out for some advice on a recce trip please

I am planning a recce trip travelling from Ireland to Canada around Easter time in 2023 along with my wife and 3 young kids.

None of us have ever been to Canada but we'd like to do a bit of exploring & get a bit of a feel for the place/see if we'd like to move there etc.

Open to opinions on this but we were thinking that we want to avoid jumping on and off lots of flights (for the sake of sanity with the kids!).

Ireland currently only has one direct flight from Dublin to Toronto so at the moment we think that's a good option.

So I was just really looking for some tips on where to stay, how to get about and stuff like that if possible please.

I think ideally in the future we'd like to live in a town or semi-rural location in Canada (providing I can get work that is and Visas sorted etc)

Thanks so much in advance for your time and help - we really appreciate it
Old Sep 13th 2022, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Recce Trip Advice

Originally Posted by RichMitch
Hey All,

Just reaching out for some advice on a recce trip please

I am planning a recce trip travelling from Ireland to Canada around Easter time in 2023 along with my wife and 3 young kids.

None of us have ever been to Canada but we'd like to do a bit of exploring & get a bit of a feel for the place/see if we'd like to move there etc.

Open to opinions on this but we were thinking that we want to avoid jumping on and off lots of flights (for the sake of sanity with the kids!).

Ireland currently only has one direct flight from Dublin to Toronto so at the moment we think that's a good option.

So I was just really looking for some tips on where to stay, how to get about and stuff like that if possible please.

I think ideally in the future we'd like to live in a town or semi-rural location in Canada (providing I can get work that is and Visas sorted etc)

Thanks so much in advance for your time and help - we really appreciate it
Really need to know how long you have for your trip and what sort of work do you do. The latter because it may limit your possible locations.

Anyway, semi-rural is how I live. 10 acres, septic system, long enough driveway to need a snowblower attached to the tractor. Some domestic animals. If that's the manner of the thing you'd want then I'd get a place to stay about as far out as Orangeville. You could drive into Toronto to see things, as you would when living that far out and you'd see that, although people do commute, they're mad. You could drive to Niagara for the day. That's a bit of a haul but get used to it, everything is.

I know you don't want to spend a lot of time flying around but you should probably see Nova Scotia, it's a nice place in a mellow way, there's more money in Ontario but less scenery. You could drive there (two full days with small children) so as to get an idea of Quebec and NB. You may also want to look at Vancouver, arguably it's scenic though I would say that the buildings are horrible enough to wipe out the attraction of the ocean and mountains and the constant drag of the homeless clinging to your legs is a bother. It's as expensive as Dublin but I note that you're rich so that may not trouble you.

The rest of Canada, the big flat bit in the middle, well, you'd go there if that's where the work was, otherwise probably not.

Last edited by dbd33; Sep 13th 2022 at 12:17 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2022, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Really need to know how long you have for your trip and what sort of work do you do. The latter because it may limit your possible locations.

Anyway, semi-rural is how I live. 10 acres, septic system, long enough driveway to need a snowblower attached to the tractor. Some domestic animals. If that's the manner of the thing you'd want then I'd get a place to stay about as far out as Orangeville. You could drive into Toronto to see things, as you would when living that far out and you'd see that, although people do commute, they're mad. You could drive to Niagara for the day. That's a bit of a haul but get used to it, everything is.

I know you don't want to spend a lot of time flying around but you should probably see Nova Scotia, it's a nice place in a mellow way, there's more money in Ontario but less scenery. You could drive there (two full days with small children) so as to get an idea of Quebec and NB. You may also want to look at Vancouver, arguably it's scenic though I would say that the buildings are horrible enough to wipe out the attraction of the ocean and mountains and the constant drag of the homeless clinging to your legs is a bother. It's as expensive as Dublin but I note that you're rich so that may not trouble you.

The rest of Canada, the big flat bit in the middle, well, you'd go there if that's where the work was, otherwise probably not.
Thank you so much for this advice, really appreciate it all. The plan is to go over to Canada for at least 10 days hopefully, ideally 2 weeks if we can. My background is in IT Support although in recent years I have branched out into the data world - databases, analysis and report building.

Sorry - I should mention we're most definitely not rich No idea why I went that pseudonym, but I'm considering changing it because it gives the wrong impression!

The other aspect of the recce trip would be just for us to try keep it as low cost as we possibly can (within reason!).

Thanks again
Old Sep 13th 2022, 12:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for this advice, really appreciate it all. The plan is to go over to Canada for at least 10 days hopefully, ideally 2 weeks if we can. My background is in IT Support although in recent years I have branched out into the data world - databases, analysis and report building.

Sorry - I should mention we're most definitely not rich No idea why I went that pseudonym, but I'm considering changing it because it gives the wrong impression!

The other aspect of the recce trip would be just for us to try keep it as low cost as we possibly can (within reason!).

Thanks again
No problem. I am, this morning, dealing with the construction of a Power BI dashboard to front end an Azure data repository which we developed a few weeks ago to hold the output from a proprietary calculation engine licensed to run in the cloud. There is a great deal of dicking around with tokens and URLs in order to get data from the engine, to the local server and then back up to the repository. Maybe you know something about this stuff.

If so, then the GTA is the primary location for work in Canada. There are also 100% remote positions where the firm could be anywhere but for choice of employers and therefore escape routes, this is the place. If I were you I would look for a hybrid position, permanent or contract (that's another discussion) around the GTA, always considering the location of the rival employer, just in case. If that's the course under consideration and there's 10/14 days, I'd rent somewhere on the fringe (I suggest Orangeville or Guelph as they're near here, I expect there are similar places to the east). Rent an apartment, go on day trips, go to real estate open houses, shop and boggle at the price of cheese. Consider that, as an employee, you might make 90 grand and lose a third of it in deductions. Could you live? Could you live better than where you are? What if it was winter and you had to fund a minivan and five sets of snow suits?

Old Sep 13th 2022, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t want to be too much of a downer but I think you’d struggle to see a lot in 10 days, bearing in mind the after effect of travelling, having three young children to consider and wanting to minimize costs. A neighbour, who also has a home in Newfoundland, mentioned this latter point recently in talking about friends visiting them on a tight budget - it costs to get there and then is frustrating to not have money to do things once you’re there, so you’re not able to make the most of it.
Added to that is the argument of whether you see ‘real life’ as a visitor and the reality is very different.
It also costs a lot to go through the visa process etc and if you’re committed, perhaps the money is better spent there. Don’t get me wrong - I fully understand your reasons for wanting to visit but I do wonder exactly how worthwhile it would be.
Many people, my family included, moved over without having the chance to look and decide first before we committed. The people I know that struggled most with the move were largely those who had a very full and active network of friends and family ‘back home’. It takes a long time to build up those links and if you’re dependent on them, it can be a big pressure when they’re no longer there. Our advantage was that we’d moved a number of times within the UK so didn’t have strong connections in any one place - yours may be that your children are young enough to accept such a move and adapt easily if you were to move.

Having said all that, I think you and your family would enjoy a holiday in Toronto - I think it’s a nice city to visit with lots of diversity. Easter can be a tricky time weather wise - it’s fairly early in April next year so could still be cold and snowy. If you’re on Facebook, have a look at Brits in Toronto - there was a good article recently about places to visit in the city. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

Good luck!
Old Sep 13th 2022, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

No problem. I am, this morning, dealing with the construction of a Power BI dashboard to front end an Azure data repository which we developed a few weeks ago to hold the output from a proprietary calculation engine licensed to run in the cloud. There is a great deal of dicking around with tokens and URLs in order to get data from the engine, to the local server and then back up to the repository. Maybe you know something about this stuff.

If so, then the GTA is the primary location for work in Canada. There are also 100% remote positions where the firm could be anywhere but for choice of employers and therefore escape routes, this is the place. If I were you I would look for a hybrid position, permanent or contract (that's another discussion) around the GTA, always considering the location of the rival employer, just in case. If that's the course under consideration and there's 10/14 days, I'd rent somewhere on the fringe (I suggest Orangeville or Guelph as they're near here, I expect there are similar places to the east). Rent an apartment, go on day trips, go to real estate open houses, shop and boggle at the price of cheese. Consider that, as an employee, you might make 90 grand and lose a third of it in deductions. Could you live? Could you live better than where you are? What if it was winter and you had to fund a minivan and five sets of snow suits?
Thank you very much again, this is sage advice and I deeply appreciate it all. At the moment I create dashboards in Power BI, use proprietary software to gain insights into constantly changing fluid levels and pressures, and create reports for management.

I must confess I have little experience with Azure. In previous roles I've held I've used Unix and SQL to dig into data and make sense of it. Toying with the idea of trying to learn Python but just not sure if it would be applicable to my current job!

Thank you, we will most definitely look at Orangeville and Guelph for places to stay. We don't want to stay in Toronto itself because neither of us are city people

I'm guessing 90grand isn't that great an amount to live off for a family of 5 in Canada?!

That's really why we want to head over for a recce, just to see firstly if we like it and if so, would it be feasible/realistic to set our sights on living there.

I had previously looked at Nova Scotia and New Brunswick but apparently there is precious little housing available there for newcomers.

Old Sep 13th 2022, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
I don’t want to be too much of a downer but I think you’d struggle to see a lot in 10 days, bearing in mind the after effect of travelling, having three young children to consider and wanting to minimize costs. A neighbour, who also has a home in Newfoundland, mentioned this latter point recently in talking about friends visiting them on a tight budget - it costs to get there and then is frustrating to not have money to do things once you’re there, so you’re not able to make the most of it.
Added to that is the argument of whether you see ‘real life’ as a visitor and the reality is very different.
It also costs a lot to go through the visa process etc and if you’re committed, perhaps the money is better spent there. Don’t get me wrong - I fully understand your reasons for wanting to visit but I do wonder exactly how worthwhile it would be.
Many people, my family included, moved over without having the chance to look and decide first before we committed. The people I know that struggled most with the move were largely those who had a very full and active network of friends and family ‘back home’. It takes a long time to build up those links and if you’re dependent on them, it can be a big pressure when they’re no longer there. Our advantage was that we’d moved a number of times within the UK so didn’t have strong connections in any one place - yours may be that your children are young enough to accept such a move and adapt easily if you were to move.

Having said all that, I think you and your family would enjoy a holiday in Toronto - I think it’s a nice city to visit with lots of diversity. Easter can be a tricky time weather wise - it’s fairly early in April next year so could still be cold and snowy. If you’re on Facebook, have a look at Brits in Toronto - there was a good article recently about places to visit in the city. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

Good luck!
Hi, thanks very much for this, much much appreciated. Yes please, if you could send the link to the article that would be wonderful thanks.

I hear you about the price of visas etc although I think we both feel that it would be prudent to visit Canada first to get a feel for the place (well - as much of a feel as two weeks can give us!)

I was also thinking that heading over might also allow for me to get a chat with local people, try establish some good contacts and maybe even scope out the job market if time allows.

If we are to emigrate to Canada, I think it would all depend on me getting a job offer because we are a bit older and wouldn't have enough points to get in under the immigration points system.
Old Sep 13th 2022, 1:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Thank you very much again, this is sage advice and I deeply appreciate it all. At the moment I create dashboards in Power BI, use proprietary software to gain insights into constantly changing fluid levels and pressures, and create reports for management.

I must confess I have little experience with Azure. In previous roles I've held I've used Unix and SQL to dig into data and make sense of it. Toying with the idea of trying to learn Python but just not sure if it would be applicable to my current job!

Thank you, we will most definitely look at Orangeville and Guelph for places to stay. We don't want to stay in Toronto itself because neither of us are city people

I'm guessing 90grand isn't that great an amount to live off for a family of 5 in Canada?!

That's really why we want to head over for a recce, just to see firstly if we like it and if so, would it be feasible/realistic to set our sights on living there.

I had previously looked at Nova Scotia and New Brunswick but apparently there is precious little housing available there for newcomers.
Azure is not a leap for a SQL person, I wouldn't worry about that. Python is quite widely used in analytics here and any added skill is a valuable skill on a resume.

I don't think a family of five can live on the salary of one employee data analyst/developer though. It might be possible as a contractor but it[ is usual for families here to have two income streams. YMMV, of course, depends how you live and what salary you find you can actually achieve.
Old Sep 13th 2022, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Azure is not a leap for a SQL person, I wouldn't worry about that. Python is quite widely used in analytics here and any added skill is a valuable skill on a resume.

I don't think a family of five can live on the salary of one employee data analyst/developer though. It might be possible as a contractor but it[ is usual for families here to have two income streams. YMMV, of course, depends how you live and what salary you find you can actually achieve.
Thanks for this info, yes we have a lot of thinking to do about jobs/finances if we were to make the move over. I'm not sure about how the cost of living in Ireland compares with the cost of living in Canada.

A big factor would be housing. We don't think we'd fancy living in a condo. We were thinking that if we made the move across, we'd initially seek to rent a 3/4 bedroom home somewhere.
Old Sep 13th 2022, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

We were thinking that if we made the move across, we'd initially seek to rent a 3/4 bedroom home somewhere.
I hope you've got deep pockets, you'd be looking at around $2,500-$3,500 rent per month even in a semi rural spot.
Everything over here is crazy expensive now.
I can't honestly say I would envy someone starting out now, especially with three young kids as well, but good luck.

Old Sep 13th 2022, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DMajor
I hope you've got deep pockets, you'd be looking at around $2,500-$3,500 rent per month even in a semi rural spot.
Everything over here is crazy expensive now.
I can't honestly say I would envy someone starting out now, especially with three young kids as well, but good luck.
Hey, thanks very much for the info. My pockets are pretty shallow! So, maybe we ought to re-think the 3/4 bed home rental idea for now anyways

Wow, costs going up in Canada - sounds like the UK and Ireland right now too - the Government is really struggling to get to grips with inflation over here.

Old Sep 13th 2022, 9:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, thanks very much for the info. My pockets are pretty shallow! So, maybe we ought to re-think the 3/4 bed home rental idea for now anyways

Wow, costs going up in Canada - sounds like the UK and Ireland right now too - the Government is really struggling to get to grips with inflation over here.
In general, Canada is subject to the same economic pressures as elsewhere. So if the cost of living in Ireland is making you think of moving somewhere cheaper, Canada isn't going to be a solution. All things being equal I suspect you'll find it as expensive or more expensive than Ireland. Plus you have the costs of moving over in the first place.
Old Sep 14th 2022, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In general, Canada is subject to the same economic pressures as elsewhere. So if the cost of living in Ireland is making you think of moving somewhere cheaper, Canada isn't going to be a solution. All things being equal I suspect you'll find it as expensive or more expensive than Ireland. Plus you have the costs of moving over in the first place.
Thanks for this info. We're not planning on moving to Canada for economic reasons.

We definitely wouldn't move if we felt it wasn't sustainable/financially feasible etc.

Is the Canadian Government or businesses doing anything to try help people with cost of living pressures at all?
Old Sep 14th 2022, 12:57 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this info. We're not planning on moving to Canada for economic reasons.

We definitely wouldn't move if we felt it wasn't sustainable/financially feasible etc.

Is the Canadian Government or businesses doing anything to try help people with cost of living pressures at all?
Most of that stuff is down to provincial governments and Ontario's is abysmal.
What do you hope to get from moving to Canada? What changes, improvements are you expecting compared to life in Ireland?

As for vacation accommodation I think your best bet is a cheap end hotel such as Motel 6 or Super 8. You can often negotiate a cheaper rate for a long term stay.
Old Sep 14th 2022, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bats
Most of that stuff is down to provincial governments and Ontario's is abysmal.
What do you hope to get from moving to Canada? What changes, improvements are you expecting compared to life in Ireland?

As for vacation accommodation I think your best bet is a cheap end hotel such as Motel 6 or Super 8. You can often negotiate a cheaper rate for a long term stay.
Thanks very much for this information. I've never heard of Motel 6 or Super 8 so that is really useful thanks!

Well - without getting too personal, as a family we've had a few troubling experiences down the years, particularly within the last decade.

So I guess ultimately the biggest thing we want is a complete change, somewhere to start afresh, try put some sour memories and ordeals behind us

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.