Reload this Page >

Canada over OZ

Canada over OZ

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Canada over OZ

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yep - and In Canada they live constantly under -20 degress , the sun never comes out and all they do is play ice hockey on fozen lakes, Oh, and the grizzly bears and Polar bears are hiding around every corner

Give me desert over igloos.
Did I tell you the story about the polar bears coming into our backyard in the spring in manitoba looking for food. They became so tame, we had them eating out of our hands, and one of them became our pet......
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mohogony
More people die from bee and wasp stings in the UK each year then people die in OZ from snake bites every year. Only around 2 people a year die from snake bites in OZ and mostly because they picked up or tried to kill the snake,.Regarding spiders no one had died from a spider bite in OZ in 30 years.
Yes OZ has animals that can kill people but so Canada. The USA has rattle snakes, venomous spiders, mountain lions, bears and sharks that kill people all the time.
All the time - is canada really still considered the wild wild west.....
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Oz was never in the running for me, I like more temperate climes and the mountain scenery - New Zealand was seriously considered but accessibility (distance and cost) and a much smaller employment market were not in it's favor at the time.

Many more Brits choose to immigrate to OZ over Canada, if Canada was a better country to live in then would'nt more Brits immigrate there then OZ?
'Better': undoubtedly Australia is the better choice for a lot of people; Canada is the better choice for another, different, lot of people. There are lots of factors that influence numbers headed to different countries.

In Australia's case I'd venture that those factors include a) the higher visibility of Australian culture in the UK and the representation of Australian lifestyle in the media, b) better marketing and c) the relative merits /costs of that country's emigration process compared to other destinations.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers
They live in Hobart, and yes...they have spiders, the kids think it's amusing to send me pictures
I lived in Hobart for quite a few years, only encountered the usual small spiders I saw in North America (dandy long legs and such) though I lived in the city and around Sandy bay. I'm not sure how far away from the city your family lived.

So you can go for years (and I did) without encountering a single (large) spider. Might not be the case in NSW or QLD though. I saw quite a few big ones there.

Last edited by cdnexpat; Feb 22nd 2009 at 10:32 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:28 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Oz was never in the running for me, I like more temperate climes and the mountain scenery - New Zealand was seriously considered but accessibility (distance and cost) and a much smaller employment market were not in it's favor at the time.

'Better': undoubtedly Australia is the better choice for a lot of people; Canada is the better choice for another, different, lot of people. There are lots of factors that influence numbers headed to different countries.

In Australia's case I'd venture that those factors include a) the higher visibility of Australian culture in the UK and the representation of Australian lifestyle in the media, b) better marketing and c) the relative merits /costs of that country's emigration process compared to other destinations.
I think also its a lot easier to get recognition for UK credentials. Canada is a bit backwards in that regard.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dboy
True. You should n't feel the need to defend oz. Each to his own. I imagine oz is a great place to call home. My brother lived there for a year and loved it. A little too far removed from the rest of the world for me. I had an idea that i might try it some time back, but i would have been losing too much. Had i been younger and not as established I may have given it a go. Vancouver has been a great fit for me.

This thread was never intended to put down OZ but more to demonstrate that making a decision to move somewhere is more involved than how sunny a place is. But each to his own. Canada is not perfect either.

I've found as you get older being closer to the UK becomes more of an issue as your folks get older etc. I left 20 years ago and did n;t care until the last few years really. I've had so many relatives die in the last couple of years and nieces/nephews born it makes you realize what's important. Life stages play into your decision as well.
I do have to agree though Australia is far from the Western world.

To say it's far from everything isn't true (unless you define North America/Europe as everything), there are some really cheap flights to Hawaii and Asia. But distance to UK/North America is pretty big.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

I think also its a lot easier to get recognition for UK credentials. Canada is a bit backwards in that regard.
I don't think it's backwards - they can easily recognise your qualifications. Canada is just more protectionistic.

A lot of paperwork/hoops is involved especially in some professions to get recognised in Canada.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:37 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc

Nail, head.

Lots of Kiwis emigrate to Oz too, but that's largely to do with how accessible it is imo. If they could be automatic PR's the moment they arrived in Canada, a lot would move here too. And it's not too far from 'ome. It's quite a process to get here so I'm sure that puts a lot of people off. Which is fair enough.

Anyway. I still have a soft spot for Oz. I didn't HATE it, it just really wasn't for me. Knowing what I know now I'd say there are definitely places that are right for you and places that aren't and it's not always 'you' not getting it or whatever, sometimes a place is just wrong.

Inspite of the culture shock of Canada I knew very quickly that I loved it.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
I do have to agree though Australia is far from the Western world.

To say it's far from everything isn't true (unless you define North America/Europe as everything), there are some really cheap flights to Hawaii and Asia. But distance to UK/North America is pretty big.
Yep, i meant Europe/North America. Been to Asia and Indonesia - not likely to go again - been there done that.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:52 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Living here, I def. feel NZ & OZ are more isolated and there is less choice in terms of close (5 hours flight) destinations. I mean, it's around 9 hours flight to Hong Kong from melbourne. That's not a short flight. Where can you get in 5 hours? Oh...parts of Australia. Fiji, maybe. NZ. Your options are pretty limited.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Living here, I def. feel NZ & OZ are more isolated and there is less choice in terms of close (5 hours flight) destinations. I mean, it's around 9 hours flight to Hong Kong from melbourne. That's not a short flight. Where can you get in 5 hours? Oh...parts of Australia. Fiji, maybe. NZ. Your options are pretty limited.
Although that's true (distance) you also have an extra 2-4 weeks of vacation in Oz which makes up for the extra flying time.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

DESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really nice

Although we never been to both countries (apart from Toronto airport) before and had also tried to applied to OZ beginning of last year but need to abandon as we thought it was way too far, we don't want too humid and hot that is why we choose Vancouver BC as more temperate I guess and pay in Canada is better as compared to have been offered in OZ.

Hopefully not long from now BC bound.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
Although that's true (distance) you also have an extra 2-4 weeks of vacation in Oz which makes up for the extra flying time.
I have to admit that the limited hols in Canada was a shock at first. Its taken me 10 years to get to 5 weeks. Although overtime is paid at double time and can be taken as time off in lieu of pay. Not sure about other employers though. Also i work a four day week (10 hours shifts) so if I take 4 days hols i end up with 11 days off in total. So its certainly manageable.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DESERTFOX
Although we never been to both countries (apart from Toronto airport) before and had also tried to applied to OZ beginning of last year but need to abandon as we thought it was way too far, we don't want too humid and hot that is why we choose Vancouver BC as more temperate I guess and pay in Canada is better as compared to have been offered in OZ.

Hopefully not long from now BC bound.
Pay is variable based on your profession.

In general though having worked the ladder in both countries, Oz's pay is usually higher.

Also the work required in Oz for an equivalent amount of pay is usually less. I tend to find that North American's work much harder. But again this is variable depending on your profession.

Last edited by cdnexpat; Feb 22nd 2009 at 11:15 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

I have to admit that the limited hols in Canada was a shock at first. Its taken me 10 years to get to 5 weeks. Although overtime is paid at double time and can be taken as time off in lieu of pay. Not sure about other employers though. Also i work a four day week (10 hours shifts) so if I take 4 days hols i end up with 11 days off in total. So its certainly manageable.
I think you're quite lucky to get 5 weeks off. I've had friends who've just gotten 3 weeks after 8 years.

I literally had to book an appointment with them just to get time on a weekend to spend with them. North American's definitely work pretty hard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.