Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada new start vs UK family and friends

Canada new start vs UK family and friends

Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:37 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada new start vs UK family and friends

If anyone else wants to share their philosophical musings with the larger universe, fine. But, if you want to be of assistance to the original poster, it may be useful to read this other thread that she started.
x
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rasputin
I don't know how old your child is, but I can give a bit of an insight into what it's like growing up in a family split over both sides of the pond. I don't think you should put too much emphasise on the distance. If you want your family to be close knit and tight, they will be. I'll give you an example, I have family in Canada that I speak to on an almost daily basis, I have family in the same city as me that I wouldn't even recognise if I saw them in the street, and have spent less time with than my family in Canada, even though technicaly they are more imediate family than my Canadian branch. On the other hand, When my aunt first went over to Canada in the 50's/60's she severed all ties, it was 40 years before she got back in touch. (this causes me a huge problem as my parents are certain that I'm going do that-but thats another story all together) I'm rambling a little bit here, but i've spent a bit of time in both countries, I have family members in Canada that I am incredibly close to and family members hear I don't know to look at. Personally I don't belive distance is too much of an issue. Except of course when there is a family emergency, but then 30 miles can seem just as far as 3,000, and after the emergency is over, you have your own life to live and get back to.
Nothing is forever (including the oppertunity to go to Canada), You don't have to stay there, after all. I hope your able to take something out of all that. Just like life, family is what you make of it.
my sentiments exactly, we have the same with our family, half in Hull half in Brampton Ontario!, you are the 3rd person from Hull on this thread are we like rats leaving a sinking ship!!!!!, lol,
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:44 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rasputin
I don't know how old your child is, but I can give a bit of an insight into what it's like growing up in a family split over both sides of the pond. I don't think you should put too much emphasise on the distance. If you want your family to be close knit and tight, they will be. I'll give you an example, I have family in Canada that I speak to on an almost daily basis, I have family in the same city as me that I wouldn't even recognise if I saw them in the street, and have spent less time with than my family in Canada, even though technicaly they are more imediate family than my Canadian branch. On the other hand, When my aunt first went over to Canada in the 50's/60's she severed all ties, it was 40 years before she got back in touch. (this causes me a huge problem as my parents are certain that I'm going do that-but thats another story all together) I'm rambling a little bit here, but i've spent a bit of time in both countries, I have family members in Canada that I am incredibly close to and family members hear I don't know to look at. Personally I don't belive distance is too much of an issue. Except of course when there is a family emergency, but then 30 miles can seem just as far as 3,000, and after the emergency is over, you have your own life to live and get back to.
Nothing is forever (including the oppertunity to go to Canada), You don't have to stay there, after all. I hope your able to take something out of all that. Just like life, family is what you make of it.
We moved to Canada three times. The third time was the best. Been here for almost 3 years (although been coming here since 1987). I feel Canadian, but the accent gives it away. Home sickness will happen but, for me anyway, you get over it fairly fast. My kids love this place, more friends than in the UK and they play outside a lot more than back 'home', it is a lot saferplace and the weather is much better (although this summer is crap so far). Everyone is different but give it a try - if it doesn't work you can go back (we did twice) and it is allowed! No disgrace.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

When we were discussing whether to go to Canada or not, my OH kept saying that it was such a huge decision. I disagreed with him saying that it will cost time and money, but ultimately, if we didn't like it, we could always go back to the UK.
Nothing has to be forever

Nivlad said:
Everyone is different but give it a try - if it doesn't work you can go back (we did twice) and it is allowed! No disgrace.

I totally agree.

We like it here -can't complain!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

HullCityFan is an unknown quantity at this point

Walker. I won't be emmigrating anytime soon because i've been told by various emmigration companies that i'm not elligible.

Will have to make do with living in this crime infested hell hole for the time being. Best of luck to you and hope everything works out.

Wish it was me.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HullCityFan
Walker. I won't be emmigrating anytime soon because i've been told by various emmigration companies that i'm not elligible.

Will have to make do with living in this crime infested hell hole for the time being. Best of luck to you and hope everything works out.

Wish it was me.
have you looked on the various provinces lists of occupations under pressure, they do vary and include jobs that i was suprised about!, is it that you are too old Ha Ha,! or is it just a points thing?