Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canada Mutli -cultural???

Is Canada Mutli -cultural???

Old Dec 24th 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Canada Mutli -cultural???

Seems to me this whole business of (so called) racism is overblown. People are comfortable with their own kind. Perfectly natural. That is why one finds ghettos in big cities. And this doesn't apply exclusively to 'visible minorites' (oh how i hate that term). For example in Montreal and environs we still have an Italian neighbourhood, a Portuguese one, a Greek area.

We have areas populated largely by Sri Lankans, East Indians, those from Central America and people from the Carribean (Jamaican and Haitian).

Last edited by montreal mike; Dec 24th 2008 at 11:00 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You suggested that a person was being racist out of ignorance by using a term no longer considered appropriate. I don't think that's racism at all, it's the intent, not the manner of expression that counts.

I'm perplexed by this:
I have even come across those who are actually offended at being called blacks. They want to be labeled African - American/ Canadian. Go figure!
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
And yet Calgary is like Atlanta or Jackson, one of those places you cannot get a black person to go for work. Granted that says more about the perceptions of black computer people toward those cities than it does about the cities themselves but these reputations tend not to be entirely accidental.
Originally Posted by jackiewalters
First of all many thanks Tracey107 I just may take you up on the offer PM me if you get some time it would be nice to meet up with some one off the sight who is capable of answering my question without sarcasm!! this was much appreciated.

Steve P, as usual your answer is straight to the point and I am now clear on what lies ahead, and may I say I am still and always have been looking forward to my new life in Canada thanks again SteveP.

Almost Canadian trust me, my eyes were wide open it must have been an off day and they must have all been busy hiding from the opportunity to find a Job (dbd33 that was for you!!):thumbdown:

You know what? DBD33 by are people such as yourselves allowed to post such comments on the site? if you havent got something positive to say, please keep it to your self I am finding you very offensive :curse:
I read dbd33's post as saying that black people perceived some towns as racist and so they were reluctant to go there to work. Isn't that the same as you asking if Kelowna and Calgary are racist?

It looks like you read his post to mean that black people are lazy and won't work.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

It would be be nice if we heard from the lady so she can explain herself.

I still can't understand all the fuss over what dbd wrote.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I read dbd33's post as saying that black people perceived some towns as racist and so they were reluctant to go there to work. Isn't that the same as you asking if Kelowna and Calgary are racist?

It looks like you read his post to mean that black people are lazy and won't work.
I did mean that, ime, there are some towns Black computer people are reluctant to visit. But I don't know that this was the offensive post.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I am a black woman with children of mixed race, my husband is blond haired and blue eyed, we visited Canada and went to Lumby and Calgary and you know what? I did not see one person of colour once I stepped out of the airport!! now you may think me strange, but the one thing about the UK is its multi cultural society so you can imagine I thought it strange that I did not see any other people of colour no matter what culture. I think having children of mixed race we continue to bring them up in a mixed environment as they are used to that.

We are moving to Kelowna because my husband has a job there, please do not take offence for me asking as I have been searching and searching for a thread which would answer my question but no joy, I just do not want my kids to grow up in an environment where people will make an issue of the colour of their skin. It has never been an issue in the UK. I hear the Canada is a wonderful place to raise your children, and I just want to put the question out there and then forever hold my peace.

Many thanks

In my experience Canada is very multi-cultural in the major cities, but less-so in smaller towns and rural areas. My bf is Filipino Canadian, but I don't see him as bf material on the basis of his racial descent, he's just a great guy who's fun to be with.

I fail to see why race or skin colour should be an issue, it's more the person you are and the effort you make to fit in with the local community that really matters when you move here.

If anything, it tends to be the First Nations who suffer from racism in Canada.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TrishB
If anything, it tends to be the First Nations who suffer from racism in Canada.
Well they are an easy target aren't they? So easy to accuse them of being free loaders, chronic welfare cases and drunks. How easy it is to forget that it was all taken away from them or rather their ancestors.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Appropriate terms vary with location and time.

If someone is using an older term, who cares? its the intent that counts. Maybe they simply haven't managed to keep up with the new pc terms.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 8:12 am
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all

Yes I did think his statement way stating that he thought black people were lazy if this is not the case then my apologies and I will wear my glasses next time.

And Please!! not SARCASM, I am trying to figure out what lies ahead and one thing about this site is the constant SARCASM when you forget its peoples lives we are talking about and also I logged onto this site for your insight, experience, advice Not crap witt!!

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 25th 2008, 11:44 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I did think his statement way stating that he thought black people were lazy if this is not the case then my apologies and I will wear my glasses next time.

And Please!! not SARCASM, I am trying to figure out what lies ahead and one thing about this site is the constant SARCASM when you forget its peoples lives we are talking about and also I logged onto this site for your insight, experience, advice Not crap witt!!

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas to you Jackie

You will find insight etc here, unfortunately you also get crap. It's usually worth wading through the mire for the good stuff.

FWIW I don't find that Canadians are racist or discriminatory. They may say some stuff that sounds odd, but in practice they are mainly a decent people.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

dbd33, it was a typo.

There might not of been racist intent but you cant be serriously suggesting that its appropriate to use a politically incorrect term in an essay?
Old Dec 25th 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

JW .. I didn't detect any sarcasm on this thread although I am sure you will find sarcasm on others. Bid Deal!

The responses on this thread have, to date, been realistic, accurate, and to a certain extent reassuring. No one is taking your apprehension lightly. Stop worrying: Canadians are not KKK-inspired and there is no deep irrational hatred and despising of blacks or other 'visible minorities'.

Ironically it is the natives, of all people, who are often in for a rough ride.

My sincere advice, if you will take it, is to get on with your lives. Moving resettling is stressful enough. I am pretty sure your stay in Kelowna will prove uneventful.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 2:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Merry Christmas

This statement:

"And yet Calgary is like Atlanta or Jackson, one of those places you cannot get a black person to go for work." ?

If so it referred to black people our firm employs in Toronto, there are some places to which they are reluctant to travel on a work assignment.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 2:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by stubby42
dbd33, it was a typo.

There might not of been racist intent but you cant be serriously suggesting that its appropriate to use a politically incorrect term in an essay?
I don't know whether or not it's appropriate but I don't think it's racist. I think conflating the use of yesterday's phrases with actual racism trivializes the issue.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Political correctness like racism should be outlawed.

Now racism I can understand. Alas it is part of the human condition.

But political correctness? What's the excuse?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.