Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada move- advice please

Canada move- advice please

Old Sep 17th 2013, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Amaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud of
Default Canada move- advice please

Dear group,

Hello.

I and my family (wife, 2 children- 10 and 7 y old boys) are planning to move to Calgary.

We are originally from India. We both are doctors. I am a family physician and my wife is in last few months of her family physician training.

We are British nationals now. We also have Canadian PR. Recently we visited Toronto (to complete the permanent residency process) and enjoyed the visit.

What we like in the UK-

British weather (yes!)- the sound of raindrop on window pane is priceless.

Polite people.

A pint in Pub.

Order in daily life.

Police don’t carry guns.

Why we want to move to Canada-

Brother in LA (probably we’ll move a bit close to him or he might decide to move to Calgary)

Summers are longer

Changes in family medicine practice in the UK and NHS are making it difficult to continue to work.

Better pay or may I say- better buying ability with CAD than with GBP.

?Better quality of life

What worries me re the move

Harsh winter months

?rising cost of living (I did read the pros and cons re Calgary)

Lack of state run pension (like NHS pension which is possibly one of the best in the world) and annual leave etc.

Can anyone help guide or share their own experience, please?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:18 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada move- advice please

Originally Posted by Amaresh

Harsh winter months

definitely

you should be Ok with medical doctor salary

Lack of state run pension (like NHS pension which is possibly one of the best in the world) and annual leave etc.

this should not be an issue for you?
you are aware of the info in this first link?

http://www.albertacanada.com/practicingMedicine_w.pdf

as of 2013 in a newspaper report

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/02...n_2624758.html

"Alberta Premier Alison Redford's government has set its sights squarely on Alberta's doctors, saying over the last few weeks that MDs here are paid higher than their national counterparts, which is something that may have to change under the province's new 'economic reality.'

"We know that doctors earn between 20 and 29 per cent more in Alberta than they do across the country," said Redford.

“If you compare our profession to other professions or plumbers or electricians or teachers, or whatever, it's quite consistent across,” the Alberta Medical Association's Dr. Michael Giuffre told CTV Calgary, which reported the average wage for Alberta doctors is $357,000 a year compared to the Canadian average of $307,000.

Last edited by not2old; Sep 17th 2013 at 6:20 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Dear group,

Hello.

I and my family (wife, 2 children- 10 and 7 y old boys) are planning to move to Calgary.

We are originally from India. We both are doctors. I am a family physician and my wife is in last few months of her family physician training.

We are British nationals now. We also have Canadian PR. Recently we visited Toronto (to complete the permanent residency process) and enjoyed the visit.

What we like in the UK-

Polite people.

A pint in Pub.

Order in daily life.

Police don’t carry guns.

Why we want to move to Canada-

Brother in LA (probably we’ll move a bit close to him or he might decide to move to Calgary)

Summers are longer

Changes in family medicine practice in the UK and NHS are making it difficult to continue to work.

Better pay or may I say- better buying ability with CAD than with GBP.

?Better quality of life

Harsh winter months

Can anyone help guide or share their own experience, please?
the other factor to consider would be recognition of your qualifications to be able to continue to be doctors in canada. Search the threads and you will find the authorities that will need to be contacted. Lot of doctors on this forum have experienced difficulties
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

What we like in the UK-

There is not much rain in Calgary. Have you thought about BC? You will certainly get to hear the sound of a raindrop on a widow pane. It is a bit closer to LA, and we need more family physicians here.

(Apologies to Albertans for trying to pinch a potential doctor.)

Last edited by JonboyE; Sep 17th 2013 at 6:55 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Amaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud ofAmaresh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by not2old
you are aware of the info in this first link?

http://www.albertacanada.com/practicingMedicine_w.pdf

as of 2013 in a newspaper report

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/02...n_2624758.html

"Alberta Premier Alison Redford's government has set its sights squarely on Alberta's doctors, saying over the last few weeks that MDs here are paid higher than their national counterparts, which is something that may have to change under the province's new 'economic reality.'

"We know that doctors earn between 20 and 29 per cent more in Alberta than they do across the country," said Redford.

“If you compare our profession to other professions or plumbers or electricians or teachers, or whatever, it's quite consistent across,” the Alberta Medical Association's Dr. Michael Giuffre told CTV Calgary, which reported the average wage for Alberta doctors is $357,000 a year compared to the Canadian average of $307,000.
Hi Not2old. Thanks for replying. Demand and supply always dictate the pay. I guess you are a doctor. Are you a family physician? How do you think healthcare is changing in Canada?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chanceUK
the other factor to consider would be recognition of your qualifications to be able to continue to be doctors in canada. Search the threads and you will find the authorities that will need to be contacted. Lot of doctors on this forum have experienced difficulties
Dear ChanceUK.

Thanks for replying. Fortunately UK training and degree/diploma are recognised in Canada.

I have now Canadian equivalent certificate and I am a go as far as practicing as a family physician is concerned.

I, also fortunately, have been offered a job in a chain of Clinics in Calgary.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:47 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't find the winters overly harsh in Calgary as you've got the chinooks that regularly come in and raise the temperature. Plus its a dry cold so not like here where it feels like it seeps into your very bones! Yes, it can get bloody cold (-25 etc) but it never seems to be too long until a brief respite to keep you going
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is not much rain in Calgary. Have you thought about BC? You will certainly get to hear the sound of a raindrop on a widow pane. It is a bit closer to LA, and we need more family physicians here.

(Apologues to Albertans for trying to pinch a potential doctor.)
Hi JonboyE,

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately, as of now, I am not eligible to practice in BC as I don't have 2 months training experience in Obstetrics/gynaecology!

Hopefully, I'll get a licence to work in BC once I get full licence in AB. Mostly international physicians start with a provisional/conditional licence to practice in Canada.

My brother used to live in Seattle (he is an engineer and works in aviation industry). He can come back to Seattle. So, it'll be a dream come true if I can move to BC.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Dear ChanceUK.

Thanks for replying. Fortunately UK training and degree/diploma are recognised in Canada.

I have now Canadian equivalent certificate and I am a go as far as practicing as a family physician is concerned.

I, also fortunately, have been offered a job in a chain of Clinics in Calgary.
thats great!

i cant offer advice on calgary but i'm enjoying life in Ontario. Not sure that the cost of living is any cheaper than the UK though I earn considerably more in Canada (vet) which makes a big difference to my quality of life (along with other factors)
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC
I didn't find the winters overly harsh in Calgary as you've got the chinooks that regularly come in and raise the temperature. Plus its a dry cold so not like here where it feels like it seeps into your very bones! Yes, it can get bloody cold (-25 etc) but it never seems to be too long until a brief respite to keep you going
That's encouraging. Thanks, AnneMarie.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chanceUK
thats great!

i cant offer advice on calgary but i'm enjoying life in Ontario. Not sure that the cost of living is any cheaper than the UK though I earn considerably more in Canada (vet) which makes a big difference to my quality of life (along with other factors)
We came back a week ago after visiting Toronto and surrounding cities. We thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

I understand what you are saying.

Thanks.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:37 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Not2old. How do you think healthcare is changing in Canada?
I do not have an opinion on that.

curious - 'from your understanding speaking with those in the profession - is Canada where you want to be in 5-years or is this a stepping stone for your next move to BC or the states'?

With your conditional license by now you'll have a good idea of your first position, what you'll be doing the hours that you need to put in before a full license is granted to you & of course he first year earnings?
Old Sep 18th 2013, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by not2old
I do not have an opinion on that.

curious - 'from your understanding speaking with those in the profession - is Canada where you want to be in 5-years or is this a stepping stone for your next move to BC or the states'?

With your conditional license by now you'll have a good idea of your first position, what you'll be doing the hours that you need to put in before a full license is granted to you & of course he first year earnings?
I have sent you a pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 7:26 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is not much rain in Calgary.
This year was the exception to that! LOL We had more than our fair share of rain!
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheThornes
This year was the exception to that! LOL We had more than our fair share of rain!
I know. I am trying to stay away from Bow/Elbow riverside areas