Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada just like the US?

Canada just like the US?

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 11:08 am
Banned

Matematik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada just like the US?

Canada is often sold as a safer, more liberal and more peaceful version of the US, but when you actually look into it, I find this questionable.

It seems in comparison to the UK, gun violence is rife in Canada and the percentage of people who own guns is far higher than in the UK, because Canadian gun laws are far more like US gun laws than British gun laws.

Likewise Canadian police are often portrayed as being civilised, restrained and far more like the British bobby than the US cop, but this seems to be untrue as well.

The average Canadian cop is just like the average American cop, armed to the teeth and not afraid to shoot first, ask questions later. Policing in Canada is nothing like policing in the UK. Canada just loves the push the image of the Canadian mountie as their style of policing, but that's just utter bullshit. Most of their police are like US police.

On the whole, Canada seems to be a significantly more violent society than the UK, and for the most part the social atmosphere seems to be almost a carbon copy of the US.

Last edited by Matematik; Jun 3rd 2012 at 11:12 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 11:40 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canada just like the US?

Originally Posted by Matematik
Canada is often sold as a safer, more liberal and more peaceful version of the US, but when you actually look into it, I find this questionable.

It seems in comparison to the UK, gun violence is rife in Canada and the percentage of people who own guns is far higher than in the UK, because Canadian gun laws are far more like US gun laws than British gun laws.

Likewise Canadian police are often portrayed as being civilised, restrained and far more like the British bobby than the US cop, but this seems to be untrue as well.

The average Canadian cop is just like the average American cop, armed to the teeth and not afraid to shoot first, ask questions later. Policing in Canada is nothing like policing in the UK. Canada just loves the push the image of the Canadian mountie as their style of policing, but that's just utter bullshit. Most of their police are like US police.

On the whole, Canada seems to be a significantly more violent society than the UK, and for the most part the social atmosphere seems to be almost a carbon copy of the US.
Hi,
In the last 12hrs or so, you've posted in the Cyprus forum, the Spain forum, the china/Hong Kong forum...now, welcome to the Canada forum!

I'm wondering if your opinions are based on personal knowledge of Canada, the US etc or is it what you've "just looked into"?

Are you someone who's emigrated somewhere? Or is trying to and just doesnt know which continent to go for?
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 11:49 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

My friend in the US had a cop pull her over, and make her lean over her bonnet with her hands in full view while he shouted at her because she was breaking the speed limit, even though she had two small children in her car. Shes American and says this is normal.

I have seen RCMP pull someone over, get out (yes with their gun holstered) walk over and chat with the driver who was still in his car. It appeared very civilised.

I have seen UK police sit in their police cars whilst they are pelted with stones by violent youths. My hubby was a UK police officer and his only method of restraint if chatting to them didnt work was CS gas, he then had to complete 20 forms to justify its use.

My point here is that the policing is different in all three countries.

Last edited by Howefamily; Jun 3rd 2012 at 11:51 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 12:09 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

I would say violent crime, particularly with guns, is getting more common in Canada as well as the UK.
Cops in Canada are generally OK, but there are still many real arrogant ones - particularly the young women cops. Probably similar in the UK.
If you want to see what a pain in the butt cops can be, try living in Germany as a foreigner. Those cops really think they own everything and everybody.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 12:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 12:57 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

ah yes of course, why didnt I realise?!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point

Travel to the worst areas in both countries and you'll quickly learn that American crime is compounded by higher population, lack of social services, and a much higher volume of police presence.

To start, don't live in fear and for those that do live in fear they should move to a small out of city community in any of these countries if you wish to reduce your risk of being a victim of crime.

Despite yesterday's shooting in downtown Toronto, gun violence is not rife in Canada by comparison to the US. Check your statistics, or simply watch Bowling for Colombine for a quick comparison.

I don't envy the position of police officers in any country, the challenges they face on a day to day basis and then attempt going home to their homes and families with a sense of normalcy is almost impossible. So what if they are a little rough around the edges, I don't want a super sensitive sissy protecting me from the 'real' criminals.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 2:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

To say nothing of raising the issue of whether Canada is really like America and then generally comparing Canada with the UK.

It seems in comparison to the UK
Likewise Canadian police are often portrayed as being civilised, restrained and far more like the British bobby
Policing in Canada is nothing like policing in the UK.
On the whole, Canada seems to be a significantly more violent society than the UK
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 2:08 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Originally Posted by pdarwin
... but there are still many real arrogant ones - particularly the young women cops. Probably similar in the UK.
Ha ha, you haven't met me or my pals yet!

Anyway, these are all reactions that the OP Keyboard Warrior wanted. Well done OP.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
+1
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

well for what it's worth, I have a lot of experience with the OPP and the Sûreté (even got drunk with them) and they all seem pretty tame.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

But trolls are fun.

Anyway, considering how huge bother the US and Canada are compared to the UK, larger populations and not to mention how different one part of one country is to another, it's just a daft comparison.

Nova Scotia probably is like parts of Maine, but it would be nothing like California, neither would the state of Nebraska be much like Vancouver.

Standard of trolling must get better. I'd rate this as a F- at best.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:48 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
well for what it's worth, I have a lot of experience with the OPP and the Sûreté (even got drunk with them) and they all seem pretty tame.
I have some experience with speeding tickets, I suppose I've got 50 in the US and a few hundred in Canada, I've never been asked to spread on the hood but once, in Utah, the cop asked to see my supercharger.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have some experience with speeding tickets, I suppose I've got 50 in the US and a few hundred in Canada, I've never been asked to spread on the hood but once, in Utah, the cop asked to see my supercharger.
I guess his anticipation was unfounded....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.