Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada to join the European Union!?!

Canada to join the European Union!?!

Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:28 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada to join the European Union!?!

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
As more people flood from those in the poorly paid eastern european countries (as a comparitive) into the western european countries beit legally or illlegally SNIP
Actually it is legal for people in the 10 new European states to work anywhere they want to in the UK. This led to a huge influx of them into the UK when they joined. After a couple of weeks most went back home as they were unable to find work.

Its disingenous to say that all the ills of the UK and other countries are caused by immigration. Governments do not set wages, nor Corporations, rather it is the market. Those skills which are valued are highly paid for, and those that are not valued are not.

With regards to lower pay for Canadian immigrants, I think there are lots of factors that come into play, rather than employers just trying to rip off their employees....
Old Sep 8th 2004, 3:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love Canada to be part of the EU.

would make crossing the border a piece of piss.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
As a former employer myself, I don't think it's a racist issue at all. Employers here want to contact a previous employer about the applicant's work record and they don't want to have to phone someone in Pakistan or China to do so. They want to talk to someone from a culture they are familiar with. Of course an employee with Canadian experience will have an advantage. It's unreasonable to think that they shouldn't have some advantage.
I'm just not in a position to comment about getting work in Canada because I'm still not there, but after the 17th of this month I will be and I'm so looking forward to relating my own experiences of how it all works out. However I've got to say that when my wife came over here from Canada to live in 2000 and started to look for employment, firstly she found it a really easy and open experience and secondly both of the employers she's had in the time that she's been here sought references from her previous Canadian employers. There was also no mention of previous "UK" experience being required though.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:56 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by MikeUK
It takes time and that’s what I believe Canadian experience is about..
I knew a guy from Edmonton who came to Calgary and couldn't get a job because he "wasn't known".

A lot of people come through Calgary every year, some stick around, some move on. I think employers often just want to know that you'll stick around for a while. It's been a while since anybody asked me if I'm here for good, so I guess I blend in.

If you haven't lived through a couple of southern Alberta winters, nobody takes you very seriously. Your first "spring" in Calgary can be very depressing if you've come from the UK - March=snow, April=snow, May=snow, June=maybe more snow.

Albertans really don't seem to accept people until they've proven that they can survive in Alberta - by the time you have, you'll know some people and have some proven work experience too.

Last week it was summer, this week its fall, next week it might snow and it could be +20C or -20C and sunny the week after that - I don't care any more as long as it stops raining, maybe that makes me an Albertan now??

Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:16 pm
squarepants

That was the OP's intentions, it seems Whilst we are at it, we might as well let canada join the Asian union, if there is such a thing

Originally Posted by Manc
I'd love Canada to be part of the EU.

would make crossing the border a piece of piss.

Old Sep 9th 2004, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by squarepants
To the original poster, I can't believe you will post something like this here, I mean the thought of it How the hell can canada join the EU, when they are not in Europe? That is like saying the UK is signing the north american trade treaty

This is the biggest boll**ks have ever read on a forum. I'll hate to think you actually believe this, or may be you do, and you think it will help get you here quickly if you are not already here, can't even be bothered to check your location.

Canada is part of the commonwealth, and that's all there is to it !

Jeez....what is going to be next, Canada joining the AU ( African Union )
I am glad that it stirred up so many emotions for you little boy! (Can't even bother to check whether you are a little boy or a little girl)

If you had tried to read the original article you would have noticed that joining the European Union would not be such a hard thing to do theoreticaly with the rapid advances in technology and aviation.

After all it might take you a lot less time to get from Montreal to Paris than from Lisbon to Vilnus, so there you have it.

I was excited to see these ideas in the first place on a personal level. It would be great for me to be able to move and work freely in Europe if I decide to. From the title of the forum, I forgot that most of you have this advantage, and couldn't make it there in the first place. That's cool, I am not judging any of you for being quitters or losers. However, I am a little younger than most of you in here, and have a lot more energy to take on Europe.

Oh yeah, the commonwealth thing - who gives a f#$k?
Old Sep 9th 2004, 1:36 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So what you seem to be saying is that you would really rather be heading to Europe than coming to Canada.

So why not go to Europe then , or are you not tallented enough, or dont have the qualifications to emigrate to a european nation. All you need to do is persuade any employer in the whole of Europe that they should get you a work permit, and if you are so bloody fantastic that you can come on here and insult and judge everyone else, that shouldnt be so hard should it?

You seem to think that somehow those who choose to come to Canada are losers in some way, well I guess that makes you a loser either way doesnt it, Cant make it in the States, Cant even make it into Europe, and you seem intent on pisssing everyone in Canada off before you land.

I though I would give you a second chance, but I see I shouldnt have bothered.

TTFN

I
Old Sep 9th 2004, 3:10 am
prodigyking2

Originally Posted by iaink
So what you seem to be saying is that you would really rather be heading to Europe than coming to Canada.

So why not go to Europe then , or are you not tallented enough, or dont have the qualifications to emigrate to a european nation. All you need to do is persuade any employer in the whole of Europe that they should get you a work permit, and if you are so bloody fantastic that you can come on here and insult and judge everyone else, that shouldnt be so hard should it?

You seem to think that somehow those who choose to come to Canada are losers in some way, well I guess that makes you a loser either way doesnt it, Cant make it in the States, Cant even make it into Europe, and you seem intent on pisssing everyone in Canada off before you land.

I though I would give you a second chance, but I see I shouldnt have bothered.

TTFN

I
So who died around here and put you in charge anyways?

Why don't you go and remove my ban now. This is a little childish, in a country where freedom of speech is the greatest national asset.

I believe that everybody can speak for themseleves, and you don't need to intervene by banning people, just beacause you don't like what they say. Squarepants took a jab at me, and I just swang back a little bit.

We are all adults and responsible of what we say. Chill out and get off the God-mode.

Old Sep 9th 2004, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

oh dear...I hope this isn't going to be a rerun of the mickj saga.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 3:27 am
prodigyking2

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
oh dear...I hope this isn't going to be a rerun of the mickj saga.
Oh yeah. What was the mickj saga like? Did one of the moderators get pissed off and started banning people for no reason?

What makes me even angrier, is that this guy is treating the forum as his own personal backyard. I contributed 180 posts in here and endless hours, and I am not going to let somebody on an ego trip to lock me out of it.

Old Sep 9th 2004, 3:52 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prodigyking2
So who died around here and put you in charge anyways?
No one, I had nothing to do with your ban. I didnt like what you posted, right from the racist crap you posted on day one, and I said so. (perhaps Ray the moderator here was offended by that, who knows.) Dont like it? Get used to it, most canadian wont stand for your attitudes and will tell you so.

You need to learn that with freedom of speech comes the responsibility to act and speak with respect for others, Do you really think you can come to a forum of people who have moved or are trying to move to Canada and call us all losers. It doesnt work that way. Canada has numerous laws protecting freedom of speech, but also about incitement of this and hatefull that, so you had better watch out

You are no great loss to this forum, gees 180 posts, mick/squarepants can manage that in a week!

You certainly are a little younger than most here, maybe its time you grew up.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 9th 2004 at 4:05 am.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

prodigy king - since i had sent you an email just yesteday warning you to moderate your behaviour - I would have thought you would have realised I banned you. You're on a 1 month ban right now, stop S**t disturbing and you'll come back - else your ban will be permanent.