Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canada heaven or hell? Why most immigrants return?

Is Canada heaven or hell? Why most immigrants return?

Old Mar 2nd 2003, 2:32 am
Cougar

Unhappy No second thought

Do not ever think about coming. Canada is a weird, cold blooded place withought a soul of its own. There is no history, little places of interest or value. Climate is worse than what you would expect from coast to coast.

All that makes people come here is the shrewed promotion of Canada by its governement. Once arrived, immigrants have nothing left to do but cope with it and struggle to survive.

All interpersonal relations seem to be based on money. Everything spells "money". You can't event have a holiday withought falling victim to leaches sucking your blood dry.

All infrastructure is a true Monopoli design with Tim Hortons, Zellers, Wal Mart, Sears and some more evenly sprowled in a flat dull monotonous landscape.

The number of obese people is disturbing and is a result of humid climate, bad food and an unwholesome lifestyle.

Roads are conjested with cars. A real urban concrete desert inhabitted by industrial aborigines. One of the most commonly used words are "****" and "****ing" that are prevelent even on the TV channels when the commercials end.

Do you need more to make up your mind?

Then please be advised that during the first year getting a job like the one you have will be 99% impossible unless you have it prearranged when still in the UK.

Most likely you will end up as a shipper/receiver in a Toronto warehouse making CAD 10 / hour. This is not going to be permanent so you will have several weeks in and several out. The agency (Tips, Quantum, ProTemps or whatever) will play you as a big silly carp that just took corn on a No9 hook.

You will live in the industrila jungle paying $450/month for a miserable room infested by cockroaches. You will share the bathroom and kitchen with mexican indians or south american natives.

You will have no rest ever.

Old Mar 10th 2003, 3:58 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No second thought

Originally posted by Cougar
Do not ever think about coming. Canada is a weird, cold blooded place withought a soul of its own. There is no history, little places of interest or value. Climate is worse than what you would expect from coast to coast.

All that makes people come here is the shrewed promotion of Canada by its governement. Once arrived, immigrants have nothing left to do but cope with it and struggle to survive.

All interpersonal relations seem to be based on money. Everything spells "money". You can't event have a holiday withought falling victim to leaches sucking your blood dry.

All infrastructure is a true Monopoli design with Tim Hortons, Zellers, Wal Mart, Sears and some more evenly sprowled in a flat dull monotonous landscape.

The number of obese people is disturbing and is a result of humid climate, bad food and an unwholesome lifestyle.

Roads are conjested with cars. A real urban concrete desert inhabitted by industrial aborigines. One of the most commonly used words are "****" and "****ing" that are prevelent even on the TV channels when the commercials end.

Then please be advised that during the first year getting a job like the one you have will be 99% impossible unless you have it prearranged when still in the UK.

Most likely you will end up as a shipper/receiver in a Toronto warehouse making CAD 10 / hour. This is not going to be permanent so you will have several weeks in and several out. The agency (Tips, Quantum, ProTemps or whatever) will play you as a big silly carp that just took corn on a No9 hook.

You will live in the industrila jungle paying $450/month for a miserable room infested by cockroaches. You will share the bathroom and kitchen with mexican indians or south american natives.

And on that cheery note......
Old Mar 10th 2003, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light
Cool So Far

Hi All

OK no messing, some of you know me already, I immigrated to Edmonton, Alberta landing on the 20th January this year.
I will keep updating my experiences.

My fiance had secured a job as a machinist November 2001 which luckily they kept open for him, we are renting an appatment for $839 a month, this includes everything except electricity which costs $18 a month and the phone bill, there is a new fridge freezer, dishwasher & cooker supplied,our food bills are working out on average of $150 per week and that is eating lavishly.
Our second hand Pontiac cost $2400, insurance is about $2700 for the first year and that is for both of us(I am 35, he is 31).

Most of the people are warm & friendly, there is a slight accent problem at times(we are Scottish)but if you talk slower this is OK.

Electrical goods are cheaper than the UK, house prices are cheaper, gas is cheaper, dvd hire is cheaper, clothing is cheaper, pets are cheaper, new cars are cheaper(2nd hand ones aren't), eating out is cheap and portions are bigger and better.

It is cold, when it is -15 up this is OK, but when its in the -30's you do feel it but as long as you dress properly and dont breathe too deeply its OK!
Climate is very dry, you must use moisturiser, yes even the blokes!
Not long to the summer!

Driving is OK once you're used to it, some of the back roads are slippy but if you go slow this isn't a problem.

OK, now to the jobs, from what I have seen there are hundreds of jobs ranging from KFC to company directors.
I am finding the sme problem as many newcomers, I have applied via internet, posting and faxing and am learning this to be a 'waste of time', I think you really have to go and 'find' jobs, I am going to bite the bullet & head for Sears, call me a defeatast but I really need to find something soon before I crack up!, its hard to get a job 'similar' to what you may be doing back home, the Canadian experience bit is a bugger but after speaking to some locals they say after a while things will be better but you have to be seen as making the effort and the more people you know the more chance you have of finding something which may not be advertised.

Do not let people put you off(like Cougar)Canada is a lovely country and I am glad I came, no-one said things would be easy and remember you only live once.

Have a nice day
Pammy
Old Mar 10th 2003, 10:39 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default are you migration material or a miserable whiner?

couger
i'd like to know what planet you were on previously...on earth the recommended advice is "take a pill"

alternatively get hard or go home !
Old Mar 11th 2003, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Now I understand why have "Limeys" have the reputatation as "Whiners" / or Whingers).

I am originally from Lancashire, 30 years ago, and have found Canada to be so diverse that you really have to be a "Misfit" not to find a degree of happines.

There is so much diversity in geography, climate, people and lifestyle that you can't really go wrong.

-If you like the Maritime lifestyle try Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, British Columbia.

-If you like Agriculture then try Alberta, Manitoba., Ontario

-If you like commerce and industry the try Toronto. Montreal and other provincial capitals

-If you like the Big City Life then try Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City (especially if you like the French influence.)

Other benefits are that, wherever you go there's so much space, that you're not in a crowded environment which I found in my last visit to the UK in 99 (which I found to be a claustrophobic experience)

The climate, depends on where you live, but I personally like the distinctiveness of the seasons.

The point is, from my experience, that if you can't find a satisfactory environment then don't blame your environment - look to yourself.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

"Do not ever think about coming. Canada is a weird, cold blooded place withought a soul of its own."

COMPARED TO WHERE?

There is no history, little places of interest or value. Climate is worse than what you would expect from coast to coast.

AN IGNORANT, INSULTING AND UNINFORMED STATEMENT FROM AN IGNORANT, RUDE AND UNIFORMED WHINER.

MOST OF US DID STRUGGLE - AT FIRST. IT'S ONLY LOSERS LIKE YOU THAT STRUGGLE FOR EVER (AND WHEREVER).

HOW DID YOU AFFORD A HOLIDAY SINCE YOU WERE SO HARD DONE BY?

SPROWLED? YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT INFRASTRUCTURE IS DO YOU? IT'S CERTAINLY NOT TIM HORTONS. NOT UNLESS YOU REGARD DOUGHNUTS AS BEING ON PAR WITH TELECOMMUNICATIONS, THE ROAD SYSTEM, WATER AND SEWER, ELECTRICAL GRIDS OR THE RAILWAYS.

(COME TO THINK OF IT, TIM HORTONS IS PRETTY IMPORTANT. YOU MIGHT SAY IT'S PART OF THE LAW ENFORCEMENT INFRASTRUCTURE.)

IN CALGARY IT'S SO DRY THAT WE DON'T HAVE ANY FAT PEOPLE. THEY'RE ALL THIN AND WRINKLY FROM THE CLIMATE. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Roads are conjested with cars.

CONJESTED? AS COMPARED TO WHERE? ENGLAND? CAIRO? KARACHI? ISLAMABAD? AM I GETTING CLOSE?

A real urban concrete desert inhabitted by industrial aborigines.

BIT OF A MIXED METAPHOR THERE ME OLD DUCK.

One of the most commonly used words are "****" and "****ing"

AGAIN, COMPARED TO WHERE? SURELY YOU'RE NOT USING THE UK AS AN EXAMPLE.

...that are prevelent even on the TV channels when the Commercials end.

THAT MAKES NO SENSE WHAT SO EVER.

OH PLEASE!

SO THEN PRE-ARRANGE IT.

I'LL BET THEY SAW YOU COMING.

You will live in the industrila jungle paying $450/month for a miserable room infested by cockroaches.

JUST WHERE IS INDUSTRILA. IS THAT NEAR MISSISSAUGA?

You will share the bathroom and kitchen with mexican indians or south american natives.

TUT TUT, HOW RACIST. THE MAIN DIFFERANCE BETWEEN YOU AND CENTRAL OR SOUTH AMERICANS IS THAT THEY ARE USUALLY EAGER TO MAKE A GO OF IT.

EVER READ AESOP'S FABLES? REMEMBER THE ONE ABOUT THE FOX AND THE GRAPES? COULDN'T REACH THEM SO HE WALKED AWAY MUMBLING THAT THEY WERE PROBABLY SOUR ANYWAY.

TODAY WE CALL YOUR ATTITUDE "SOUR GRAPES."

I'VE HAVE ENOUGH. AS THEY SAY IN THE SOUTHERN STATES, Y'ALL AIN'T FROM AROUND HERE ARE YUH?

Last edited by TimEh?; Mar 11th 2003 at 2:09 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2003, 12:24 am
Cougar

Default Yes, so what?

Tim,

I agree my attitude at the time was a bit too extreme, so the "sour grapes" is a good term, and I know the tale. Unfortunately that is not the case. I have reached the grapes!

So I made statements about:

1. climate - I do not see you can disprove it
2. TV - again I witness harsh obscene language, horror, graphic pictures on most channels or purely tasteless programs ALL THE TIME EVERY DAY.
3. obesity - that's a fact - statements for wrinkled people reinforce item #1
4. cars - How many countries have you been to? I can tell you that what I see has nothing to do with Ireland, most of UK and many parts of Europe. In Ireland there are many people who walk to work. How do you see somebody walking in Canada?
5. Because of the sprawl, vastness, huge concrete covered areas and dependance on cars, there's always that feeling of coldness
6 Monopoli infrastructure - noone can dispute that! so obvious!
7. Agencies like ProTemps, Quantum, Tips.........do they exist?
8. Cockroches....do they exist?
9. South Americans......are ALL of them used to taking a bath and cleaning the bath tub after that?
10 I have nothing more to say

Still I am sorry for hurting someone's feelings and having to express this opinion.

Old Mar 12th 2003, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Yes, so what?

Tim,

I agree my attitude at the time was a bit too extreme, so the "sour grapes" is a good term, and I know the tale. Unfortunately that is not the case. I have reached the grapes!

So I made statements about:
1. climate - I do not see you can disprove it

Prove what? Was the Canadian climate a suprise to you when you came here? The climate in Canada is very variable. You make it sound like a frozen wasteland. Yes, there is Winter, and a bit too much of it in some areas, but it is not all the same "from coast to coast" as you stated. Victoria is not the same as Winnipeg when it comes to climate. Calgary is not even the same as Edmonton (to the North). We get Chinooks (warm winds) in the winter to give us a bit of a break - they don't.

2. TV - again I witness harsh obscene language, horror, graphic pictures on most channels or purely tasteless programs ALL THE TIME EVERY DAY.

Personally, I don't like gratuitous use of bad language, but please tell me in which free country it's any different.

3. obesity - that's a fact...

O'K., I'll give you that one but it's on the increase in the UK as well.

4. cars - How many countries have you been to?

Err... Canada, US (every Western State), Mexico, Belize, Cuba, UK, Eire, France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Holland and Belgium.

"I can tell you that what I see has nothing to do with Ireland, most of UK and many parts of Europe."

Surely you jest. You feel that roads in the UK are not congested (referencing your original remark)?

"In Ireland there are many people who walk to work. How do you see somebody walking in Canada?"

I see people cycling to work even when its -30 degrees. Canada is a large country in case you haven't noticed and things are spread out. Calgary has 'only' 900,000 people but the size of the city is enormous (maybe 25 to 30 miles across at the extremes).

5. Because of the sprawl, vastness, huge concrete covered areas and dependance on cars, there's always that feeling of coldness.

I don't follow....

6 Monopoli infrastructure - noone can dispute that! so obvious!

I'd dispute it if I understood your point. You are again confusing infrastructure with something else.

8. Cockroches....do they exist?

Where don't they?

9. South Americans......are ALL of them used to taking a bath and cleaning the bath tub after that?

Bit specific ain't it?
Old Mar 12th 2003, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

comingtooz is an unknown quantity at this point

Better you stay in UK, your friends returned becuase they couldn't be trying hard enough. If you have the will and determination you can make a good living in any of these countries. It bugs me to know immigrants are always complaining about jobs, if you want a job you will get it if you leave no stone unturned. Life is not about money, it is about family, friends, and living a simple life.:lecture: