Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada is Growing...

Canada is Growing...

Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Canada is Growing...

Interesting report on cbc news:

"Immigrants key to growth

International migration is the main reason for the country's population growth, accounting for two-thirds of the annual increase, said the report.

In the 12-month period, 254,400 immigrants entered Canada — 9,800 more than the previous year. It's the highest number of immigrants to come to Canada since 2001/2002, says Statistics Canada.

More than half of those — 133,100 — chose to make Ontario home.

With 43,900 immigrants, British Columbia was the second most popular choice, surpassing Quebec for the first time in five years. Quebec was third with 42,000 immigrants."
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:34 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is Growing...

I'm surprised you didn't comment on this section in that report:

"In Alberta, the population increased to 3.38 million from 3.28 million in the 12-month period — three times the national average growth rate.

Measured as a ratio to the population of the province, Alberta's increase of roughly 100,000 outpaced the growth in any other province.

"This was due to its booming economy and its highest-ever level of migration from other parts of Canada," said the report. "
Old Sep 28th 2006, 11:03 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Measured as a ratio to the population of the province, Alberta's increase of roughly 100,000 outpaced the growth in any other province.

"
thats a lot of mullets.

i hope there will not be a shortage of ammo now, or deer, moose, elk for that matter.

does that mean there will be litter on the streets now.
possibly also 100,000 dogs, shit everywhere, maybe even some white jobbies.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 1:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
thats a lot of mullets.

i hope there will not be a shortage of ammo now, or deer, moose, elk for that matter.

I don't understand why any of the above might be true. What point are you trying to make?
Old Sep 28th 2006, 10:05 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why any of the above might be true. What point are you trying to make?
I'm as confused as Mo' on this one!
Old Sep 29th 2006, 12:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Let me see if I can work this out.

Originally Posted by rae
thats a lot of mullets.
I believe this to be a reference to the preferred haircut in Alberta, "redneck wonderland" as the Canadians call it.

Originally Posted by rae
More people taking up Albertan pastimes would use up more bullets. If they shot well they'd kill off all the wildlife.

Originally Posted by rae
People from England are messy and own lots of dogs which are messier. Immigration from the UK (perhaps also from Paris) would result in lots of dog excrement on the streets.

White Dog Shit is an iconic feature of English reminiscence, to hear old timers talk the English streets were once paved with wds.
Old Sep 29th 2006, 3:31 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
White Dog Shit is an iconic feature of English reminiscence, to hear old timers talk the English streets were once paved with wds.
Specifically it was known as Milky White Dog Shit, urban myth prevailed that it was caused by a certain kind of additive to dog food hence the resultant colour of pooch mess.

I guess I miss MWDS, at least dog turds stood out on the grass during most seasons, and could easily be turfed off the make-do soccer pitch - for some curious reason MWDS also dried up to a crisp and was easy to flick off the grass with a stick, unlike it's more natural, sticker, sloppier brown counterpart.

Jumpers for goalposts, and all that malarkey. Thankfully I have not had problems with pooch mess since moving to Canada; the streets may not be paved with gold, but nor are they paved with sticky pet effluent.

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Sep 29th 2006 at 3:44 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:52 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

i wasn't, just being sarcastic as this is the prevail of the immigrant, to get away from this kind of stuff, don't worry i'm wallowing in self pity as knocked back until may when should be across by now so trying to be mockingly clever and clearly not.