Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada - The Great , The Wonderful..

Canada - The Great , The Wonderful..

Old Oct 25th 2003, 6:04 pm
Cannuck

fireworkz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada - The Great , The Wonderful..

Hi all.

I like this Forum as it helped me earlier on to answer some queries long time ago..

I immigrated here a year ago.

I can say that if you all follow the right steps ... things will work out well for you.

I landed here , within the few weeks(after gaining SI) I landed into a Job, changed it to another and continued to grow.

Now Im a Mgr for the same Co.

I bought myself a house recently .. (No I dont have $250000 +) - good old fashioned mortgage, I own a car and am happily established here ...
Yup all within less than a year.

Unfortunately friends dont help much.. so you have to be a go getter and look out there as there are many good opportunities..

Canada is a good opportunity for those who want to make it abd are determined to succeed...

Many people (friends alike) used to tell me that how difficult life is here (not that it isnt- but it is difficult everywhere).. They all fed me so much negativity that I felt like I was moving from the "frying pan into the fire " so as to speak..
Dont listen to negativity .. be positive and believe me you will succeed..

Take Care
Best of luck to all you nice ppl out there ..
Brgds
Fireworkz
Old Oct 25th 2003, 11:10 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Canada - The Great , The Wonderful..

Originally posted by fireworkz
Hi all.

I like this Forum as it helped me earlier on to answer some queries long time ago..

I can say that if you all follow the right steps ... things will work out well for you.

I landed here , within the few weeks(after gaining SI) I landed into a Job, changed it to another and continued to grow.

I bought myself a house recently .. (No I dont have $250000 +) - good old fashioned mortgage, I own a car and am happily established here ...

Unfortunately friends dont help much.. so you have to be a go getter and look out there as there are many good opportunities..

Canada is a good opportunity for those who want to make it abd are determined to succeed...

Many people (friends alike) used to tell me that how difficult life is here (not that it isnt- but it is difficult everywhere).. They all fed me so much negativity that I felt like I was moving from the "frying pan into the fire " so as to speak..

Take Care
Brgds
Fireworkz

Great Stuff!! Thanks for tkaing the time to post this

Whereabouts you living now?

Clare
Old Oct 26th 2003, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Rochellec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canada - The Great , The Wonderful..

Hi Fireworkz

Yes, I agree - thanks for posting your thoughts.

It seems that we here so much negativity about Canada, that it makes us wonder if we will ever survive here.

However, people like you give people like me, hope, that if I am determined to make the best life I can for myself here - then I will.

I am from Brisbane, Australia and have been living in Vancouver for 18 months now. I originally came here to be with my partner, and I was on a one year work visa. I am now in the final stages of my Immigration Process.

There are lots of things I miss about my home, but if I keep focussing on the things I left behind and the things I don't have here, then I'm going to find it hard to get ahead. Postive, positive, positive......it's like a mantra lol.

Congrats on your success with your new life in Canada!

Originally posted by fireworkz
Hi all.

Take Care
Brgds
Fireworkz
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Like you Fireworkz I settled in quickly and within a year felt completely at home.
That was 40 years a go and no longer consider myself British. In those days we couldn't afford the regular return trip. My last visit to the UK was in 1982.
From what I read about petty crime in my old home town ( Borehamwood) it's not the place I remember. On my last visit I was appalled by the amount of street parking and what used to be loverly front gardens turned into parking.
Glad to be Canadian.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

crazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant futurecrazydaisy has a brilliant future
Default I agree..

..And at the end of the day if someone can remain positive then they can turn bad into good. Our family back home keep saying how lucky we are - we've spent 2 years in Switzerland, 3 in the States and now heading for Canada. The thing is we're not just 'lucky', we're bloomin' hard workers and persevere through most things until they turn out good and we try never to give up. Yes, emigrating is a huge change - not just a new job to get used to but new money, sometimes languages, new cultures and all that is added to being a distance away from your usual social group so it does get hard. But positive thinking keeps the momentum going and before you know it, you'll be right where you wanted to be!

Although I believe in postive thinking I also feel it good practise to be slightly wary. Things can go wrong - just keep plans flexible and don't expect perfection all the way. In other words, keep a firm balance and remain tough!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 8:23 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default I Love Canada..

I am in the process of immigrating to the States to be with my fiance..

but we are planning on moving back in a couple years....

not sure where we will go, if it will be Toronto again, where I have lived my whole life or if we will try some place new..

but its a big beautiful land with great people ....

I hope I enjoy where I am going, but I have a feeling that I will want to come home