Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada : good place for immigrants ?

Canada : good place for immigrants ?

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada : good place for immigrants ?

Originally Posted by MesserMoony
Doubt it, I live in central London and my University is in East London like he was saying and I have yet to find the situation as bad there as it is in London.
I'm not saying it's bad that people don't speak English, just that many don't. I like the multiculture.

Here's some information on languages, government services are available in all of these and then some:

http://www.toronto.ca/quality_of_life/diversity.htm
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gingernut
ooooh there is no need to get nasty as I said we are all entitled to our opinion and yes latetly there have been alot of reports of crimes committed by immigrants you can't blame me for that take that up with the british media!
I'm not getting nasty. I'm saying that you're wrong. I would, of course, attack your bigotry if we got beyond your errors of fact but we haven't got that far. You've repeatedly claimed that "there have been alot of reports of crimes committed by immigrants" (sic), I'm asking you to produce some.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
I trust you know that the behaviour to which you object in London is usual here and that, compared to London, relatively few people here speak English. If you don't like people who are different from yourself in England moving to Canada is going to make your situation worse, not better.

Ditto on East Coast, this continual bellyaching about immigrants is ridiculous for potential immigrants to gripe about as a valid reason to leave UK.
The situation here re: foriegners who cant speak English and have different values is the same out West as dbd33 mentioned.
There was even a tunnel found across US border which was a conduit for drugs and your illegals.
Again people here are continually going on about Chinese, East Indians blah de blah, not speaking English and their smelly food.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Hudman
and their smelly food.

I love their smelly food!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Chipotle will become famous soon enoughChipotle will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Canada : good place for immigrants ?

[QUOTE=dbd33]I trust you know that the behaviour to which you object in London is usual here }

Yes, I am aware that rudeness, disrespect and lack of civility are problems exemplified by some people in every country in the world.

[[QUOTE=dbd33 ...compared to London, relatively few people here speak English]

In some parts of London and some parts in North England, English isnt the only or main language either. However, the language barrier is only one of problems.

Originally Posted by dbd33 If you don't like people who are different from yourself in England moving to Canada is going to make your situation worse, not better.[/QUOTE

I am also part of the "different" set of people but ever since I moved to the UK I have made a big effort to adapt to the culture. I dont spit, I dont jump queues, in other words, I respect this country and the people around me. It is not about not liking those who are different, is about expecting at least respect and civility from all around because you treat them the same. Perhaps I have been lucky in that most of the Brits I know and usually come across/interact with are perfectly decent, hardworking people with good manners. Equally I know plenty of foreigners who are the same.

However, I have seen a recent and very big wave of newcomers who perfectly exemplify the horrid types of behaviour I described in my last post. Funnily enough, I have seen locals AND adopted Brits complain about the situation.

[moving to Canada is going to make your situation worse, not better.
My situation in the UK is very good thanks a lot. If we move to Canada it will be even better so cheers!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

gingernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not getting nasty. I'm saying that you're wrong. I would, of course, attack your bigotry if we got beyond your errors of fact but we haven't got that far. You've repeatedly claimed that "there have been alot of reports of crimes committed by immigrants" (sic), I'm asking you to produce some.

excuse me but I am by no means a bigot not by a long shot.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lost4words
Just passing through on this forum, I live in the UK, and we DO have troubles...

Facts: Immigration is out of control in the UK. 250,000 enter Britain each year - equal to a town the size of Peterborough about 3/4 of these do not go back. There may be 500,000 illegal immigrants in Britain today. Mass immigration increases company profits but reduces wages, why?, because big fat companies DO NOT want to pay a good wage they want to pay a LOW wage, so who will work and can AFFORD to live on the LOW wage?? Answer: The Immigrant, illegal ones espcially, why?, because they dont pay for council tax, because they are living 10 to a room in a house with many other rooms, they drain the housing, transport, schools and health care. Taxpayers must fork out for schools, health care, housing and transport and each year we pay more and more Tax, stealth tax is a popular choice now from the goverment.

In my opnion what needs to be done is ...end the government's 'open door' policy and admit only those needed because of their skills that ARE NEEDED at the time of entry, but not without looking first into our own unemployed and training them up!. They will be expected to speak English, pass health tests, have no criminal convictions and integrate into the British way of life - end of!!!

ASYLUM

THE FACTS: Britain is a soft touch for asylum-seekers. Over two-thirds of all applications for asylum are refused. Many asylum-seekers come here via people-traffickers, and arrive from another safe country. They cost us £2 billion a year in Legal Aid, detention centres, advisory centres and extra housing and health costs............

Someone said on here we are a small island, yes that is so true, but its not about people wanting just space, what a stupid thing to say, its about quality of life, without the need to wait for over 2 years for an operation, not having to fight to get your child into a school thats near to you!, not having to fight to get housing, not having to pay tax upon tax just to pay for all the over crowding and pressure put onto our public services etc etc

Enough said I think
Yup! Even the government admits to needing to reform immigration rules - they wouldn't do that if there wasn't a problem. If the illegal immigrant can't get a job in UK (or whatever country they decide is desirable) then they will resort to crime to get money/food/clothes etc and so on and then you get the troubles that we have mentioned. I personally think the England has changed dramatically in the last 5 years and not for the best. I seem to remember something in the paper about 18 months ago about a lawyer trying to get the Koran incorporated into English law, so people under that religion could be tried by the rules of the Koran instead of UK law....................But I am digressing - If a person is in any country illegally, and they have been told they are not allowed to stay and are told to leave by a certain date and then they don't leave, they are breaking the law and should be deported. I go back to the program I mentioned bfore 'Undefended Borders' in one show they deported a late teen - he came to Canada with his parents from Scotland when he was a toddler he had PR. He repeatedly broke the law and was deported and now has to reapply to come back to Canada to be with his family. Any how I shall join you in a
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Balzac will become famous soon enoughBalzac will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gingernut
excuse me but I am by no means a bigot not by a long shot.
Sorry, but you really do sound ignorant.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I seem to remember something in the paper about 18 months ago about a lawyer trying to get the Koran incorporated into English law, so people under that religion could be tried by the rules of the Koran instead of UK law....................
Reference please.

If, as I suspect, it relates to adjudication of civil disputes, the use of Sharia or Talmudic law is accepted practise in Canada and, indeed, in the US. Nothing new there.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:49 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Yup! Even the government admits to needing to reform immigration rules - they wouldn't do that if there wasn't a problem. If the illegal immigrant can't get a job in UK (or whatever country they decide is desirable) then they will resort to crime to get money/food/clothes etc and so on and then you get the troubles that we have mentioned. I personally think the England has changed dramatically in the last 5 years and not for the best. I seem to remember something in the paper about 18 months ago about a lawyer trying to get the Koran incorporated into English law, so people under that religion could be tried by the rules of the Koran instead of UK law....................But I am digressing - If a person is in any country illegally, and they have been told they are not allowed to stay and are told to leave by a certain date and then they don't leave, they are breaking the law and should be deported. I go back to the program I mentioned bfore 'Undefended Borders' in one show they deported a late teen - he came to Canada with his parents from Scotland when he was a toddler he had PR. He repeatedly broke the law and was deported and now has to reapply to come back to Canada to be with his family. Any how I shall join you in a

Is this the show to which you refer :

http://www.whitepinepictures.com/border.htm ?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:35 am
Just Joined

balaq8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Read this also and find Canada : good place for immigrants ?

http://www.*********.com/
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 1066
I understand what you are saying, and a lot of it is undoubtedly true.

The other side of the illegal immigrant scene is the creation of ghettos.

As a major generalisation, Indians employ Indians, Portugese employ Portugese, etc. Many of these people cannot legally own transport, so they tend to live close to work, which creates localised ethnic neighbourhoods.

As more businesses open, more illegals work there, and the localised neighbourhoods become ghettos. It's not rocket science...it happens. Downtown areas all over the world suffer from this.

It will probably never stop, and as you say, if it did stop, a lot of people would be in a lot of trouble, work-wise.

It doesn't make it any less annoying having to wait 2 to 5 years to get in legally, though.
Somebody has opened a can of worms with this one. Birds of a feather flock together. In the Uk most illegals come to notice via the police stopping them for driving without any form of documentation and then everything just snowballs from there. Driving illegally, working illegally, access to NHS illegally, schools.the list goes on and on. I think its a bit narrow mind to turn a blind eye to to the situation just because they're working. Illegals have a huge impact on the economy, which seems to go un-noticed. It was reported last week that in the UK it could take up to 18 years to remove all the failed asylum seekers, that's without anymore been added to the list but the report failed to mention the illegal workers who aren't in the system yet. How does this compere to Canada?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Griff
How does this compere to Canada?
It's a bit difficult to get numbers for undocumented workers because they're, well, undocumented. However, this sector of the economy is huge in Toronto. The federal government has had a small crackdown over the past week and deported a few workers, various heads of home building companies have been on the TV and in the papers complaining that even a small crackdown is damaging to their industries and home construction will be delayed. I would not be surprised if more construction workers are here without documents than with. There are other industries, such as hospitality, farming and retail, which employ large numbers of undocumented workers so, overall, undocumented workers are extremely important to the economy of Ontario.

Here's an estimate of 200,000 workers in 2003 :

http://apmp.berkeley.edu/index.php?o...sk=view&id=208

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 24th 2006 at 12:45 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:23 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

My experience in the UK is that it is often the country bumpkins, who never see any immigrants (illegal or otherwise) that seem the most concerned and most frightened of these "foriegners". It was only a few years ago I met a Devon lady in her early 50's who told me her daughter moved out of London "cause of all them blacks" adding that "they look at you funny".

Many of the more insular British have failed to understand that a lot of the "illegal" immigrants they do see in the streets are actually legal - i.e. they are second (plus) generation people from commonwealth-country decent who are actually British (i.e. Indian, African, Caribean) or they are Polish, Latvian, Portugese etc who are all permitted to live and work in the UK just as UK citizens are allowed to flock to the shores of southern Spain. Obviously those immigrants who come from "white" countries are perfectly acceptable as they are "just like us".

The biased reporting by those bastions of little-Britishness - the Daily Mail (etc), have many of the bumpkins (including many of my own family from deepest Sussex) believing that there are hordes of illegal immigrants (who are cleary all criminals of the worst type) scrounging off the state and mugging little old ladies every minute of the day. As above, when challenged for actual data showing the greater propensity of immigrants to be criminals, they fold like the wet-paper-bag-bigots they are.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:10 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Many of the more insular British have failed to understand that a lot of the "illegal" immigrants they do see in the streets are actually legal - i.e. they are second (plus) generation people from commonwealth-country decent who are actually British ....
I always have to smile to myself whenever I speak to a black/brown/yellow/whatever person over here, and they answer in a heavy cockney/scouse/manc/brummie etc accent.

Dontcha just luvvit...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.