Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada Expo's coming up

Canada Expo's coming up

Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice
Default Canada Expo's coming up

Hi

Does anyone know of any Canada Expos that are going to be in Scotland at all this year?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Expo's coming up

Emigrate have just done one in Glasgow, so they're likely to do different venues for their autumn shows although they haven't confirmed them yet. Can't think of anybody else that regularly does exhibitions there tbh, could you travel a bit i.e. to Manchester?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:46 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Here's how this will play out -

1) you get a response saying either yes, or no but they will be in xxxxxx
2) you'll say "thanks, is it worth making the trip?"
3) you get a resounding "NO" from everyone thats ever been to a recent one
4) you won't believe them and will want to cling to as much info about Canada as you can because it makes you feel closer to your impending move so you'll go anyway
5) the next person that asks of expos are worth it, you will be one of the many that comes on here and says "No, we went, got lots of pens and plastic bags, found out about currency exchange, bumped into Willis Brazalot that wanted 50 million dollars to help us emmigrate and learned how to ship a pet over!"
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

LOL @ Mandy - and totally accurate!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

samb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nicesamb29 is just really nice

Christmasoompa, thanks for your reply, I will have a look into that.

I am not actually needing a visa or anything like that, as I am waiting for my Proof of Citizenship to come through. It was just to have a nose and maybe speak to any recruiters that are there re any info they could provide with jobs etc over there. It sounds like I could be wasting my time though and am probably better doing internet research!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Have worked at many expo's and exhibitions over the past couple of years, and have only ever seen one recruiter there - who was only looking for healthcare professionals.

If that's all you're after, definitely don't bother! Read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki on here instead.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Great, thank you for your help - will just keep looking there!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:53 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet would be to look on Workopolis, Monster or Job Bank. You'll get way more of a feel for whats needed than you ever will at an Expo.

Plus you can sit at your pc with a coffee in the warm as opposed to trapsing around a crappy exhibition

(ps this is all heresay btw - I've never been to one but have seen so many threads from disappointed people on here, I wouldn't make the effort!)

Good luck
Old Mar 29th 2011, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Thank you very much, will look at those websites.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

MegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to allMegaJamie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mandymoochops View Post

4) you won't believe them and will want to cling to as much info about Canada as you can because it makes you feel closer to your impending move so you'll go anyway
5) the next person that asks of expos are worth it, you will be one of the many that comes on here and says "No, we went, got lots of pens and plastic bags, found out about currency exchange, bumped into Willis Brazalot that wanted 50 million dollars to help us emmigrate and learned how to ship a pet over!"
Went to HealthJobsAbroad and CanadaExpo weekend just gone in London, and I am pleased to say I followed your 5 step program and am now a healthy and independant want to be DIY Migrator, with a strong distrust for anything that looks helpful or too good to be true.

Hitting the london expo was easy for me, we hadnt been shopping in london for a while, we had the TUC march to possibly attend and friends to meet up with, so all that was wasted was the £15 entry fee, fortunately the train journey is 25 mins, and the tube journey to that side of town was about 45, so not much time lost either!

It was a HealthJobs/Canada/Australia/NZ thing there was many (useful, i'm sure) stalls for AUS and NZ, but 3 stalls for Canada in total, 2 migration laywers (1 who wanted to charge £25 for an assesment!!!) and another who will apparently be contacting me in a few weeks 'since i'm on the list'. The third was recruiting Doctors for saskatchewan province... no good to me, but they did give me their health jobs for Allied Health workers website, which i had been on the night before...

I learned absolutely nothing new, displaying a great amount of self-researched knowledge just made for rather stupid conversations: "I'm on the skilled worker list, I hit the points, what can you guys do for me I can't do myself" "Oh what profession are you in? oh yes thats on the list, and fill out this form and we'll see if you fit the points and we'll contact you..."

So just like me, you will probably follow Mandy's 5 steps, and have an amusing anecdote or 2 to share about what was otherwise a massive waste of time and money for you and your family, especially if you travel all the way to manchester.

The internet is a huge database of mostly useless stuff, but within it, and especially here, it looks like theres enough information and helpful people to put these sorts of expos into the lands of uselessness, and I think they've probably just given up, rent the smallest most out of the way hotel lobby they can find and hope to make a quick buck pulling the blissfully optimistic in, and churning out the untrusting pessimist I now am.

Enjoy you're expo!
Old Mar 29th 2011, 2:49 pm
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Beautifully put.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

hellcats is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Canada Expo's coming up

Originally Posted by mandymoochops View Post

That is so true, I actually drove 8 hours round trip to get to an Expo and it was a such a waste.