Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canada Dog Friendly?

Wikiposts

Is Canada Dog Friendly?

Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:25 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Canada Dog Friendly?

Regarding the cost of travel, by far the cheapest option is to bring your dog as Excess Baggage, which some airlines allow, on some routes. We brought our 12 yr old collie to Calgary in October with Air Transat, at a cost of 65 GBP, plus the cost of the pet carrying box.

The only other costs were the rabies vaccine a couple of months before and a small entry fee ... about $25 or something ... at Calgary airport.

We did have a quote for about 900 GBP from Ladyhayes Pet Transport services prior to this.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gillian S
Thanks Sysclp. Can't believe a country wouldn't let my Tilly in - I've never owned a more affectionate dog. Rules will be Rules I guess
They even banned one of the Eukanuba Super Dogs from performing here because he is a Staffordshire Terrier and this is a dog that performs for kids all over North America!
http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Stor...0-002/page.asp
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:11 am
Belfast-Beverley-Calgary

Gillian S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sysclp
They even banned one of the Eukanuba Super Dogs from performing here because he is a Staffordshire Terrier and this is a dog that performs for kids all over North America!
http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Stor...0-002/page.asp
They must have their reasons but to me it's a bit like saying because I'm originally from Belfast, I must enjoy stoning buses - surely it's all in the way you're brought up and everyone / dog is different regardless of breed!
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

They must have their reasons but to me it's a bit like saying because I'm originally from Belfast, I must enjoy stoning buses - surely it's all in the way you're brought up and everyone / dog is different regardless of breed!
The banning of pit bulls and similar breeds in Ontario was a politcal reaction to the large number of dog attacks in the last year or so. I can't say I think it will help, but it got the politicians brownie points from a lot of voters. I think the current fad of breeding them to be ultra vicious because certain types thing that having a really mean dog is "cool" probably had more to do with the problem than anything else.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 2:29 am
Belfast-Beverley-Calgary

Gillian S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sysclp
The banning of pit bulls and similar breeds in Ontario was a politcal reaction to the large number of dog attacks in the last year or so. I can't say I think it will help, but it got the politicians brownie points from a lot of voters. I think the current fad of breeding them to be ultra vicious because certain types thing that having a really mean dog is "cool" probably had more to do with the problem than anything else.
Sounds to me like it should be the "ultra vicious breeders" that should be banned then.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Is Calgary dog friendly?
It certainly is! But - it is so nice to walk the streets and rarely see a stray/loose dog, and not have to navigate any poop!

Click HERE to see the City of Calgary by-laws regarding dogs.

There is a list of off-leash areas by neighbourhood (lots of them) on the above link - right hand side menu in PDF form.

If you choose to live outside of City limits, then the above doesn't apply. There are different municipalities depending on the area.