Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Annual Travel Insurance

Annual Travel Insurance

Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Annual Travel Insurance

Anyone know of any companies in Alberta who offer reasonably priced annual travel insurance policies?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:11 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Annual Travel Insurance

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Anyone know of any companies in Alberta who offer reasonably priced annual travel insurance policies?
I've never bought travel insurance for myself but my parents, who are currently visiting, like to have it. They were declined by the insurers in the UK due to age, decay and pre-existing conditions, so I hunted some out for them here. I used a firm called Knox Insurance Brokers who are in North Bay. Their account was handled by a Dan Pucher. I found the firm through the inter-webby-google thing, reasoning that physically proximity is no advantage in an insurer. I was happy with the service and will invite Pucher/Knox to quote for any other insurance needs as they arise.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:41 am
Cowtown

Try the AMA.

Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

never bought travel insurance or even looked into it.....what exactly are you insuring?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by psb182
never bought travel insurance or even looked into it.....what exactly are you insuring?
If you live in Canada and are travelling out of the country you should get it as your provincial health coverage will only cover costs based on their normal prices in Canada. Obviously this could be devastating to your finances if you get hospitalized in the US since costs are way higher there. Travel insurance will cover the rest of the cost, usually for a max trip length of 2 to 4 weeks so if you are in an accident you don't have to worry about how to cover the several thousand dollars in medical costs you can rack up in no time. Many credit cards either include this as a membership benefit or offer it at a cheap cost, like $50/year. My husband's health insurance through his work includes it but prior to that we always bought an annual policy since we travel to the US a lot.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
well if you have to cancel the trip for whatever reason, get delayed....get kidnapped

anyway, i used www.worldwideinsure.com which were pretty good, UK based, but they had a one way travel policy which is what I needed, but they have plenty of policies and are easy to update and change your policy if you need to.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sysclp
If you live in Canada and are travelling out of the country you should get it as your provincial health coverage will only cover costs based on their normal prices in Canada. Obviously this could be devastating to your finances if you get hospitalized in the US since costs are way higher there. Travel insurance will cover the rest of the cost, usually for a max trip length of 2 to 4 weeks so if you are in an accident you don't have to worry about how to cover the several thousand dollars in medical costs you can rack up in no time. Many credit cards either include this as a membership benefit or offer it at a cheap cost, like $50/year. My husband's health insurance through his work includes it but prior to that we always bought an annual policy since we travel to the US a lot.

that makes sense then as I live in the US and my $1000 per month health insurance premiums already cover me.........I guess if I get sick anywhere else it wouldn't wipe out my whole life savings
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
well if you have to cancel the trip for whatever reason, get delayed....get kidnapped

anyway, i used www.worldwideinsure.com which were pretty good, UK based, but they had a one way travel policy which is what I needed, but they have plenty of policies and are easy to update and change your policy if you need to.
That is another kind of travel insurance where you buy it in case you have an emergency and have to cancel your trip the insurances pays you the money back. That is a one time purchase you make when you book a trip. Annual travel insurance is health insurance as above.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That is another kind of travel insurance where you buy it in case you have an emergency and have to cancel your trip the insurances pays you the money back. That is a one time purchase you make when you book a trip. Annual travel insurance is health insurance as above.
it covers health as well...
Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
it covers health as well...
The one time we booked through an agency and it was offered it only covered the trip cancellation and not health. Might depend on the travel agency.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

If you live in Canada and travel out of PROVINCE you may need to purchase extra cover, too. Your provincial may not cover as much, or anything in other provinces! And as someone has said - watch the difference between 'travel' and 'health' insurance - often two very different things.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 11:02 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Calgal
If you live in Canada and travel out of PROVINCE you may need to purchase extra cover, too. Your provincial may not cover as much, or anything in other provinces! And as someone has said - watch the difference between 'travel' and 'health' insurance - often two very different things.
Take a look at what the Provincal Automobile Associations offer: Alberta
http://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg/SI...e-Coverage.htm

PMM