Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canada crying out for chippy's

Is Canada crying out for chippy's

Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:19 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Canada crying out for chippy's

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I only ask as my OH is a journeyman drywaller here and was not required to do the Red Seal Exam and I thought it was the same for Carpenters/Plasterers etc
From what i previously read about the Red Seal is that each province has it's own regulating body/certificates, so me living in Winnipeg means i can go and get approval by some manitoba organisation but I could not the go to Saskatchewan and claim that I am a competant worker.

This is what the Red Seal does is it is a competantcy organisation which will provide a Manitoba worker with the proper documentation to be able to work all over Canada (I could be wrong as I haven't read anything for a few years now).

Now I notice that a lot of companies will only hire you based on the fact that you have Red Seal.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:23 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Refugee from Happyland
I know plenty of people who have got carpentry, building jobs with out Red Seal, but the market is changing, and I suspect trade qualifactions may come under more scrutiny. ?
Plumbers and Electricians do need the qualication
Who knows, BC is expected to be out of this mess faster than other Provinces, so things always change.
Your C&G and work place experience will count

http://www.red-seal.ca/english/index_e.shtml
I doubt that if the Canadians don't need the Red Seal that people coming in will need it either. Like my OH's boss says - things like that don't mean squat. 10 mins on the job and they can see whether you are what you say you are.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:24 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
From what i previously read about the Red Seal is that each province has it's own regulating body/certificates, so me living in Winnipeg means i can go and get approval by some manitoba organisation but I could not the go to Saskatchewan and claim that I am a competant worker.

This is what the Red Seal does is it is a competantcy organisation which will provide a Manitoba worker with the proper documentation to be able to work all over Canada (I could be wrong as I haven't read anything for a few years now).

Now I notice that a lot of companies will only hire you based on the fact that you have Red Seal.
I suppose it depends on what you do. My OH worked in BC and NS and had job offers in ON among others and none asked for Red Seal.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:28 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I suppose it depends on what you do. My OH worked in BC and NS and had job offers in ON among others and none asked for Red Seal.
It's like a lot of things...If you have experience but not certificates most people will still hear you out/hire you.

It's more for the younger generation i believe.

I would suggest that anyone now coming out of school wont be able to start a job without this stuff (unless they know the hiring body).
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:44 pm
Banned

DaveTheFixer is an unknown quantity at this point

can any of you point me in the direction of firms who might be looking for a carpenter with 20yrs exp Shopfitting/dry lining good all round hand really
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveTheFixer
can any of you point me in the direction of firms who might be looking for a carpenter with 20yrs exp Shopfitting/dry lining good all round hand really
www.jobbank.gc.ca
Old Feb 19th 2009, 4:04 pm

Where in Canada are you looking?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 4:58 pm
Banned

DaveTheFixer is an unknown quantity at this point

where ever the demand is

i plan to do some work before i bring my family over. I think i need to feel confident that the same thing isn't going to happen in Canada thats happening in the UK
Old Feb 19th 2009, 5:50 pm

where ever the demand is

i plan to do some work before i bring my family over. I think i need to feel confident that the same thing isn't going to happen in Canada thats happening in the UK
I would stick a pin in the map and get phoning some companies. Be warned though - some Provinces have unions for Carpenters, and they are the ones CIC will check with to see if there is a need for outside carpenters. As long as they say that they are desperate, then your LMO will be approved.

I know our Local Union of Carpenters for Halifax area are not approving LMO's at the moment.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

sand grownun is an unknown quantity at this point

When my husband moved here in 2006 he did not have to pass Red Seal Carpenter exam, his City & Guilds and Full Technical Certificate was quite sufficient, this was for Alberta, not sure about other provinces.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Refugee from Happyland is on a distinguished road

Things had been pretty easy in BC in regard to trades getting employment. Time was that a pulse and a hammer would get you working. I suspect in this downturn employers may be a bit more selective.
Renovation work and disaster remediation will always be a pretty strong sector due to the very poor building systems in Vancouver and the constant rain problems.
Dave the Fixer nobody knows what is going to happen in the Canadian construction industry. It has traditionally been quite a fluid work market across Canada with workers shifting with the need, but this time around every province seems to be getting clobbered so good luck.
Personally I would recommend getting more familiar with North American building systems and culture,
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Is Canada crying out for chippy's

lol! same here thought it was to do with chip shops.....Well if any of you are in the Richmond bc area then i suggest the fish and chip shop on steveson highway village, they even do a fish and chip buffet eat as much as you like or can, also if you are ever planning on visiting whistler make sure you stop off in squamish as the fish and chip shop wigan pier is amazing, the food is lovely and the owner is originally from wigan uk, both fish and chip shops remind you of the fish and chips in the uk......