Reload this Page >

Is Canada crying out for chippy's

Is Canada crying out for chippy's

Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:19 am
Banned

DaveTheFixer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Canada crying out for chippy's

hi

Which part of Canada is currently crying out for time served carpenters. Im desprate to get over but dont want to end up in a place where demand is Zero
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:45 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Canada crying out for chippy's

I thought this was going to be about chip shops.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:59 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm soooo disappointed that this wasn't a chip shop entrepreneur wanting to run a chippy over here!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:05 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
I'm soooo disappointed that this wasn't a chip shop entrepreneur wanting to run a chippy over here!
Same here - I thought it was Harry Ramsden posting under a false name
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Gotta say, I thought so too!! Hollands meat pie's, gawd I miss them !!!

To answer the OP, I know we are always crying out for carpentry in the Annapolis County, Nova Scotia, but that is quite rural! I'm sure people who live elsewhere will be able to tell you about their neck of the woods ...
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveTheFixer
hi

Which part of Canada is currently crying out for time served carpenters. Im desprate to get over but dont want to end up in a place where demand is Zero

With the $10,000 tax write off for retrofitting/renovating homes there's lots of business for home renovators.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Refugee from Happyland is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DaveTheFixer
hi

I would think its unlikely anywhere is crying out for carpenters. You need to get Journeyman status under the Red Seal, as despite your training you may have to poove yourself as skilled. (Wherever you go)
The renovation market in Vancouver is pretty strong still, however who knows whats install as the market may get flooded, especially with Olympic projects coming to an end.
Being an all rounder will definatly help in renomarket.
I would do your home work on Canadian construction, and the general way they go about things here.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:35 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
me too
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:37 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
Gotta say, I thought so too!! Hollands meat pie's, gawd I miss them !!!

To answer the OP, I know we are always crying out for carpentry in the Annapolis County, Nova Scotia, but that is quite rural! I'm sure people who live elsewhere will be able to tell you about their neck of the woods ...
There used to be a chippy in Burnaby, BC (not sure if it is still there). I could n't believe it when I went in and they had hollands puddings. It was a brit couple, from Blackpool i think.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:41 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Refugee from Happyland
I would think its unlikely anywhere is crying out for carpenters. You need to get Journeyman status under the Red Seal, as despite your training you may have to poove yourself as skilled. (Wherever you go)
The renovation market in Vancouver is pretty strong still, however who knows whats install as the market may get flooded, especially with Olympic projects coming to an end.
Being an all rounder will definatly help in renomarket.
I would do your home work on Canadian construction, and the general way they go about things here.
Do you have to do the Red Seal when your a Carpenter then?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Do you have to do the Red Seal when your a Carpenter then?
I believe so, you can challenge experience with documented service.
Exams are generally based on building codes. An excellent book is available from CMHC " Canadian Wood Frame House Construction" You can order on line.
Learning a bit about Canadian work site culture would also help, as the worksite code is not as aggressive as the UK. There is also a greater use (from when I was in construction in UK) mechanical tools.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Refugee from Happyland
I believe so, you can challenge experience with documented service.
Exams are generally based on building codes. An excellent book is available from CMHC " Canadian Wood Frame House Construction" You can order on line.
Learning a bit about Canadian work site culture would also help, as the worksite code is not as aggressive as the UK. There is also a greater use (from when I was in construction in UK) mechanical tools.
I only ask as my OH is a journeyman drywaller here and was not required to do the Red Seal Exam and I thought it was the same for Carpenters/Plasterers etc
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:00 am
Banned

what is the redseal?
Do my City&guilds+Craft cert count towards getting it
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I only ask as my OH is a journeyman drywaller here and was not required to do the Red Seal Exam and I thought it was the same for Carpenters/Plasterers etc
I know plenty of people who have got carpentry, building jobs with out Red Seal, but the market is changing, and I suspect trade qualifactions may come under more scrutiny. ?
Plumbers and Electricians do need the qualication
Who knows, BC is expected to be out of this mess faster than other Provinces, so things always change.
Your C&G and work place experience will count

http://www.red-seal.ca/english/index_e.shtml
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:11 am
Banned

cheers for the link Happy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.