Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada Child Tax Benefit

Canada Child Tax Benefit

Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada Child Tax Benefit

Quick question for those "in the know"

Hubby is currently unemployed so I thought I would see whether we were eligible for child benefit on our current income...

If I put in our annual income based on what we are getting now we would get quite a bit but they ask for last years tax return which would make us ineligible...
Anyone have any idea whether they take in to account a change of circumstances or even if your income has dropped dramatically will they still base it on last years tax return?

thanks
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

gemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to beholdgemmab1979 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Canada Child Tax Benefit

Hi there

I don't know the answer but could I trouble you to ask for the web address of the calculator? I know in uk if there has been a drop in earnings since previous year then they take an estimate for current year into account, hope it's the same for you here
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemmab1979
Hi there

I don't know the answer but could I trouble you to ask for the web address of the calculator? I know in uk if there has been a drop in earnings since previous year then they take an estimate for current year into account, hope it's the same for you here
I hope so...

Here's the link: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/icbc/s...e?taxYear=2012
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

According to Service Canada:
The amount of the Canada Child Tax Benefit is calculated according to the information provided on the Income Tax and Benefit Returns, but can be adjusted during the year in cases of a change to family size or marital status.
No mention of reduction in income though.

It may be worth giving them a call.

The link to the calculator is here:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/clclt...lcltr-eng.html
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
According to Service Canada:
The amount of the Canada Child Tax Benefit is calculated according to the information provided on the Income Tax and Benefit Returns, but can be adjusted during the year in cases of a change to family size or marital status.
No mention of reduction in income though.

It may be worth giving them a call.

The link to the calculator is here:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/clclt...lcltr-eng.html
Thanks. I only thought about it this evening as we have never claimed but right now every little helps!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Thanks. I only thought about it this evening as we have never claimed but right now every little helps!
Absolutely - you should claim it even if you were earning in excess. There is also the NS child benefit - http://novascotia.ca/coms/families/ChildBenefit.html - and the NS affordable living tax credit - http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/50...e.html#ns_altc and GST/HST tax credit - http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc....html#P82_4262

Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It is based on your previous years income. It cannot be based on current years income as that can be variable during the year. If it was and they paid you too much, you would have to give some back at the end of the year, which would cause a problem for many.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aviator
It is based on your previous years income. It cannot be based on current years income as that can be variable during the year. If it was and they paid you too much, you would have to give some back at the end of the year, which would cause a problem for many.
Really? So if one year you earn $150,000 and the next year $20,000 you wouldn't be eligible? Wow, that's harsh... It's not quite so extreme as that but it would be nice that they could help whilst we are down rather than waiting until we're back up again
So in theory, if we had been earning $150,00 until Dec 31st and then only $20,000 all through 2014 we would be eligible based on $20,000 in 2015 even if our income had risen dramatically? Hmm, doesn't seem very logical really... I understand the need to administer it but...
Old Apr 1st 2014, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, Federal child tax benefits can't be recalculated because of an income change until the next tax return BUT, I would definitely call CRA to confirm this. I know they can & do adjust mid-year for other reasons.

However, I do know that my province (Qc) does & will adjust benefits, if there is a significant (IIRC, they were willing to recalculate on proof of 10% drop in income) change in income mid year (between tax returns). Maybe NS might do too? Call them.

Good luck, crossing my fingers for you.

SB
Old Apr 1st 2014, 1:59 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Really? So if one year you earn $150,000 and the next year $20,000 you wouldn't be eligible? Wow, that's harsh... It's not quite so extreme as that but it would be nice that they could help whilst we are down rather than waiting until we're back up again
So in theory, if we had been earning $150,00 until Dec 31st and then only $20,000 all through 2014 we would be eligible based on $20,000 in 2015 even if our income had risen dramatically? Hmm, doesn't seem very logical really... I understand the need to administer it but...
I see the stupidity, but in a nutshell, yes. You can claim for 2014 on your 2015 return .
Old Apr 1st 2014, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shirtback
As far as I know, Federal child tax benefits can't be recalculated because of an income change until the next tax return BUT, I would definitely call CRA to confirm this. I know they can & do adjust mid-year for other reasons.

However, I do know that my province (Qc) does & will adjust benefits, if there is a significant (IIRC, they were willing to recalculate on proof of 10% drop in income) change in income mid year (between tax returns). Maybe NS might do too? Call them.

Good luck, crossing my fingers for you.

SB
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I see the stupidity, but in a nutshell, yes. You can claim for 2014 on your 2015 return .
Thank you chaps!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 2:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

However if the following year you earn back up to $150k, you are getting CTB for the year you earned $20k, a lot more than the $150k earner would get.
Many people, if overpaid in one year, would suffer more hardship if they had to repay the following year or would not repay.

You can claim for this year when you file you 2014 taxes. This is why social assistance is in place, for those that have sudden unexpected hardship.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:01 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly this. I was in a somewhat similar situation a couple of years ago. Exceedingly low overall annual income, not much in the way of tax credits etc, having to really watch every last penny. Following year, was back in employment but the bank account was topped up regularly with Federal payments that by then weren't nearly as critical as they would have been the previous year. Still, they helped to pay down the by-then-worryingly-large line of credit a bit...
Old Apr 1st 2014, 5:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, doesn't seem very logical really... I understand the need to administer it but...
What about this for logic.

My mother in law qualified for GIS and, thus, the Seniors Drug Program.

She cashed in some sort of fund that had been paying her an income and paid off a loan.

Canada Revenue classed that as income - not entirely unexpected, but then the GIS was withdrawn as the previous year's "income" was too high.

Because GIS was withdrawn, she no qualified for the Seniors Prescription Program.

So in the year she was missing the pension income AND the GIS and, therefore, living below GIS levels she lost her drug coverage.

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What about this for logic.

My mother in law qualified for GIS and, thus, the Seniors Drug Program.

She cashed in some sort of fund that had been paying her an income and paid off a loan.

Canada Revenue classed that as income - not entirely unexpected, but then the GIS was withdrawn as the previous year's "income" was too high.

Because GIS was withdrawn, she no qualified for the Seniors Prescription Program.

So in the year she was missing the pension income AND the GIS and, therefore, living below GIS levels she lost her drug coverage.

ludicrous!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.