Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada border services agency?

Canada border services agency?

Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:08 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada border services agency?

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
hello all.
im a uk police officer and canadian PR and im moving back to canada as soon as my house sells. im part way through the calgary police application. however ive decided i just want to be back in canada ASAP so im going back and staying even tho i havnt got the job yet.

so im was thinking of applying for the CBSA to fill in time between me arriving and hopefully eventually starting with the calgary police.
does anyone on here work for them? whats it like? i quite fancy working at calgary airport. and seems like a good job that i could enjoy for as long as it takes for me to get in the police there. maybe even longer.

ta
scott (on cara's log in)
No chance unless you are a citizen. They run open competitions for the CBSA jobs and most posts require citizenship and a [Canadian] degree plus relevant experience, just to get through the sift. These are coveted jobs - not a whole lot to do, relatively good pay and security plus benefts. The entry exam is OK if you are reasonably well educated - O/A level maths, English and good recall. Nepotism is rife as well, so don't hold your breath.

Last edited by dingbat; Jun 15th 2007 at 4:14 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 5:58 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
My ex, as Souvenir knows, is a Swiss francophone. In NB she speaks to the francophones in English as it's easier than trying to fathom their French.
Strange. An ex of mine is Acadian and when he and I were hitching through Quebec, Quebecers who picked us up commented that my ex's French was very good, for a German.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:09 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
hello all.
im a uk police officer and canadian PR and im moving back to canada as soon as my house sells. im part way through the calgary police application. however ive decided i just want to be back in canada ASAP so im going back and staying even tho i havnt got the job yet.

so im was thinking of applying for the CBSA to fill in time between me arriving and hopefully eventually starting with the calgary police.
does anyone on here work for them? whats it like? i quite fancy working at calgary airport. and seems like a good job that i could enjoy for as long as it takes for me to get in the police there. maybe even longer.

ta
scott (on cara's log in)

Rather than CBSA have you thought to the prision service. If it is only short term, you could probably suck it up and you have the advantage of getting to know the local criminals.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:14 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Rather than CBSA have you thought to the prision service. If it is only short term, you could probably suck it up and you have the advantage of getting to know the local criminals.
Also a federal employer, so likely to face much the same problems re citizenship?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:52 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Also a federal employer, so likely to face much the same problems re citizenship?

Sorry to argue, but my friend had no problem getting a job and had only been in the country 6 months! The prision service in Calgary is Provincial run, so may be that was why he got in.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Sorry to argue, but my friend had no problem getting a job and had only been in the country 6 months! The prision service in Calgary is Provincial run, so may be that was why he got in.
and second to that they must employ some people in the CBSA even if not citizens. as they have to be open and representive of the whole of canada. so i cant see how they would be so dismissive of non citizens. also it seems they are desperate for lots of new employees. so if im more than qualified im sure its worth a shot.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:13 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

I guess it depends on the local employment market conditions. Workers of all kind are in short supply in alberta, so if there are no citizens who want to work on a government payscale, then PRs will be next on the list.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
I guess it depends on the local employment market conditions. Workers of all kind are in short supply in alberta, so if there are no citizens who want to work on a government payscale, then PRs will be next on the list.
yeh i can see a few thinking that cos the pay isnt great for the CBSA. id get $25k more with the police there.

im going to give it a shot.