Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada is a big place! Where to go?

Canada is a big place! Where to go?

Old Sep 30th 2015, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Emilyrj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada is a big place! Where to go?

Hi everyone,Initially my husband and I were planning to go to Nova Scotia because we thought we needed the PNP to get in to Canada.However it looks like we have enough points to get and ITA without a job offer or a PNP - hooray!! Anyway this now basically opens up the whole of Canada now and we would appreciate if anyone can recommend some places to live that fit our criteria because I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start!1) We love the outdoors (including wate rsports, snowboarding, road biking and hiking) - so we want to do all of this stuff2) I love the sea (I may consider a big lake but living in the middle of Canada doesn't appeal) 3) We are looking for somewhere with cheapish housing (ie not Vancouver) - this is because I am looking to start a business over there and so will be living off savings for a while. 4) My husband is a web designer and looking to go freelance so we aren't too worried about moving to a place for jobs.So the lovely people of this forum, any ideas? Or was Halifax in NS a pretty good place for this??Thanks

Last edited by Emilyrj; Sep 30th 2015 at 8:15 am. Reason: Changes the layout
Old Sep 30th 2015, 9:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada is a big place! Where to go?

Other regions not in Vancouver but still in BC might meet your wants. Vancouver Island has some places with reasonable prices, and most of what you want, but skiing hasn't been good over there, but Whistler is only a couple hours away plus a ferry ride.

No idea what cheapish for housing means to you, Squamish while a smaller town meets most of your outdoor sports requirements or within an hour drive such as skiing. Compared to Vancouver housing is cheaper, but still in the 400,00 and up range with 400,000 being likely an older house in need of TLC, 600,000 and up can net a nice house.

Townhouses can be found brand new in the 300,000 to 400,000 range, older ones cheaper.

I am sure Nova Scotia is cheaper overall, but the weather isn't as nice, but not all care about the weather.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Emilyrj is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea why my post above ended up being horribly laid out - it keeps changing itself (argh) sorry.Thanks for the advice - Vancouver island sounds interesting. Because we love the outdoors so much we don't want to live in the city - with an hours drive of one yes but not in it.I have seen some pics of Vancouver island and it looks really beautiful!
Old Sep 30th 2015, 1:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emilyrj
I have no idea why my post above ended up being horribly laid out - it keeps changing itself (argh)
Check out post 14 for possible solution
Old Sep 30th 2015, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

As JS mentioned, defining what "cheap-ish" means to *you* will help us help you.

How important would (regular-ish) trips (reasonable-ish flight times/costs) back to the UK (assuming that's where you would be moving from) be? That might narrow down which side of the continent to look at?

Are you willing to drive *everywhere* or is public transport a factor?

How far are you willing to drive for the kind of activities you mention, or do you want them on your doorstep, more-or-less?

Have you already visited Canada? If so where, when & for how long?
Old Sep 30th 2015, 2:03 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,Initially my husband and I were planning to go to Nova Scotia because we thought we needed the PNP to get in to Canada.However it looks like we have enough points to get and ITA without a job offer or a PNP - hooray!! Anyway this now basically opens up the whole of Canada now and we would appreciate if anyone can recommend some places to live that fit our criteria because I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start!1) We love the outdoors (including wate rsports, snowboarding, road biking and hiking) - so we want to do all of this stuff2) I love the sea (I may consider a big lake but living in the middle of Canada doesn't appeal) 3) We are looking for somewhere with cheapish housing (ie not Vancouver) - this is because I am looking to start a business over there and so will be living off savings for a while. 4) My husband is a web designer and looking to go freelance so we aren't too worried about moving to a place for jobs.So the lovely people of this forum, any ideas? Or was Halifax in NS a pretty good place for this??Thanks
Why would you like to move to Canada????

Do you have children????

Halifax is meant to be a nice place. I'm not sure if there is much snowboarding up there though.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Well....from the criteria you have stated so far, i may be biased but i would suggest narrowing down the whole of Canada down to Ontario, as you are not tied to a particular location for a job which is a huge plus.

Ontario isnt by the ocean, but you have soooo many lakes, the huge great lakes with beautiful beaches and many small remote lakes in beautiful outdoor settings, there are too many of those to count, i find this more than makes up for not being by the sea, unless its a particular lure of the seaside you want.

Plus

- Depending where you live in Ontario house prices can be very reasonable and you can get a lot of house for the price of a 3 bed semi in the UK, if you dont mind a short drive into town.

- It can satisfy nearly all your outdoor wants and needs, (except big scale skiing and snowboarding) but great for camping, hiking, canoeing, boating and all water sports, and in wintertime reasonable skiing, snowboarding, and of course snowmobiling.

- If you choose your location, you can enjoy all the outdoor pursuits i listed but still be close enough to major cities to enjoy what they have to offer too.

- Climate in southern Ontario may be a little extreme at some times of the year, but balanced, in southern Ontario you get 4 months of summer, 4 months of winter and 4 months of "inbetweeny" weather for want of a better word.l Summer is hot (25-30 °C) the humidty can be oppressive, but fine if you have AC at home work and car and do your outdoor relaxing near water! Winter can be cold (the windchill is the hardest thing to cope with) and winter can seem long even though its no longer than summer. Ive found enjoying the winter activities makes it more enjoyable, and you know you are more or less guaranteed a good summer, so its not so bad.

I think it seems to cover most of what you are looking for from what you have intitially stated you are looking for. In my opinion i dont think other provinces cover all this at any one time.

Paul.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 7:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,Initially my husband and I were planning to go to Nova Scotia because we thought we needed the PNP to get in to Canada. However it looks like we have enough points to get and ITA without a job offer or a PNP - hooray!!

Anyway this now basically opens up the whole of Canada now and we would appreciate if anyone can recommend some places to live that fit our criteria because I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start!1) We love the outdoors (including water rsports,

Or was Halifax in NS a pretty good place for this??Thanks
The ever so expensive GTA is good $500k + for a house.

Then, there is New Brunswick or Nova Scotia for lower cost housing (less than $200k) & you will experience long drawn out winters, yet the outdoor life can be everything & more

Canada is all about space first & foremost. Climate wise, its all about the outdoors or being stuck inside, especially folks that keep on saying 'we love winter' - then winters can become a drag if you are truly not a winter person.

Summers can be hot & humid. Would you be OK with 3-4 months of +30c with a humidex of +40c. Winter will be the reverse, when can expect (minus) -30c and lots more snow than you ever imagined

1) Suggest, that if you've not already done so & have the money come for a recce first

2) Look around, decide on, or pick three areas/locations,

3) Look at the work or business aspect (can OH get contract work or be self employed), even work for someone else?

4) Cost of accommodation - property rental or purchase?

5) Many towns do not have local transit, you will need a vehicle or two.

After considering the above along with what other posters have said, decision made - you'll be here all settled in & suggest that you leave it till April before you come over - that will give you time before your first winter put-off
Old Oct 1st 2015, 12:39 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

1) We love the outdoors (including wate rsports, snowboarding, road biking and hiking) - so we want to do all of this stuff2) I love the sea (I may consider a big lake but living in the middle of Canada doesn't appeal) 3) We are looking for somewhere with cheapish housing (ie not Vancouver) - this is because I am looking to start a business over there and so will be living off savings for a while. 4) My husband is a web designer and looking to go freelance so we aren't too worried about moving to a place for jobs.So the lovely people of this forum, any ideas? Or was Halifax in NS a pretty good place for this??Thanks
Vancouver Island.

Next question.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:07 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
F*cking great. I just did this and the act of saving my profile has removed my forum filter. Now my when I click todays posts it has everything in it rather than just the Canada / Maple Leaf forums
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:18 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Vancouver Island.

Next question.
How about the Okanagan? That the next question
Great skiing , biking, hiking, great Summers- tolerable Winters, inland but not in the middle of Canada- 4hr nice drive( outside Wintertime) to the coast/ Vancouver - great little airport- short flights to coast or Calgary/Tronno.
Not on the ocean but Okangan lake 90 miles long! Kalamalka lake- frickin beautiful. Great wineries all along the valley. The problem with the Island is that you have to travel halfway up a very large Island to get to Mt Washington to do your skiing/snowboarding, a very long way if you live in Victoria or the South
Kelowna is good, Vernon smaller, Some love Penticton, others Kamloops- great skiing at Big White, Sun Peaks, Silverstar, ok at Apex, further afield there is Revelstoke and Kicking Horse near Golden for the more able than myself!!
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:36 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
How about the Okanagan? That the next questionGreat skiing , biking, hiking, great Summers- tolerable Winters, inland but not in the middle of Canada- 4hr nice drive( outside Wintertime) to the coast/ Vancouver - great little airport- short flights to coast or Calgary/Tronno.Not on the ocean but Okangan lake 90 miles long! Kalamalka lake- frickin beautiful. Great wineries all along the valley. The problem with the Island is that you have to travel halfway up a very large Island to get to Mt Washington to do your skiing/snowboarding, a very long way if you live in Victoria or the SouthKelowna is good, Vernon smaller, Some love Penticton, others Kamloops- great skiing at Big White, Sun Peaks, Silverstar, ok at Apex, further afield there is Revelstoke and Kicking Horse near Golden for the more able than myself!!
I'm sorry but that's not true. I live about equidistant between Victoria and Nanaimo and it takes about 2 hours to get to Mt Washington. It's nowhere near half way up the Island. Anyway, it's cold and snowy up there in the winter - which isn't good. Nice and warm further south.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:42 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I'm sorry but that's not true. I live about equidistant between Victoria and Nanaimo and it takes about 2 hours to get to Mt Washington. It's nowhere near half way up the Island. Anyway, it's cold and snowy up there in the winter - which isn't good. Nice and warm further south.
Length of Vancouver Island 460km
Distance from Victoria to Mount Washington 244kms... How is that not half way???
56km Kelowna to Big White
50km Kamloops to Sunpeaks
22 km Vernon to Silverstar...

Last edited by Stinkypup; Oct 1st 2015 at 1:48 am.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

UHOP is an unknown quantity at this point

Canmore / Banff

Lake Louise is near by. Great Views.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:59 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Length of Vancouver Island 460kmDistance from Victoria to Mount Washington 244kms... How is that not half way???56km Kelowna to Big White50km Kamloops to Sunpeaks22 km Vernon to Silverstar...
I apologise. I suppose I was thinking in terms of time travelling. Also, you have to go west off the Trans Can Highway to get to the resort. Why you would want to in the dead of winter is beyond me. I live just under an hour north of Victoria so I guess I just took this off the bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.