Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canada better than UK Really ?

Is Canada better than UK Really ?

Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Canada better than UK Really ?

Originally Posted by dingbat
http://www2.marks.com/

So scary if you are used to Harvey Nicks.

Ah yes, we bought the OH a set of Cahartt's farmer pants there on the weekend. They're to go with her new boots which were from the Tractor Supply Company.

It's the kids who shop up at H&M and Vicky's.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:44 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by britsnake
I do know our system doesn't work properly, I actually fill out a tax return every year in the UK. I got back about £6k last year after challenging an assessment. But if I'd told them that they would have been even more sure that their system was better. I must admit that I have slightly selective memory when it comes to winning arguments
The problem is that very few people know how to appeal an assessment or how to work their way through the form to see if the IR are correct.

Old Oct 6th 2006, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Cowtown
The problem is that very few people know how to appeal an assessment or how to work their way through the form to see if the IR are correct.

But isnt that why accountants are so highly paid - so they can do that for you?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
Boredom with living here, want to explore new places; we want some real seasons, hottish summer and coldish winter (with some decent snow)
Better look at the climate data carefully when choosing where to research. The "ish" part of "coldish" may not be what you're thinking of.

I have never been so cold in my life as in Toronto in the winter of 1998. I came with British warm weather clothing which had to be replaced immediately by a trip to MEC on the first day (I had to run down the street to the store just to keep warm).

There you go: some "local knowledge". All that climate data is Canada is never enforced anyway..

K.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hudd
Yes I included NIC in my taxes.

I paid ₤277 NIC as part of ₤1250 monthly taxes. What I have been told is to keep your taxable income below ₤37k pa and use my 20% pension investment allowance for both myself and wife. That will allow you to cut significant amount of the 40% tax bracket.
As you get older you can pay more into your pension scheme. So at 60 years old you can put 100% of your annual income into a pension plan.
You can now put 100% of your annual income into a pension plan regardless of age.

K.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Just out of idle curiosity, is there one VAT rate across Europe now? Not been to Europe recently, so just curious.
There are some finance ministers that want to make tax rates uniform across Europe. The Irish have a corporation tax rate of 12.5% and (unsurprisingly) are attracting businesses from the rest of the EU. This is something good: it keeps countries on their toes. The Germans are particularly unhappy.

The VAT rates are different. Luxembourg has the lowest at 15% (which is the minimum permitted general VAT rate). The UK is 17.5%. Some countries have 25% or so. Eye watering.

Also, in a similar vein, how does one go about spending Euros in the UK...can it be done, or is it even considered "normal" now?
Some places in the UK take Euros. M&S notably takes Euros. I carry Euros in my wallet along with £s, but I travel a lot. I've used Euros in the UK when out of £s.

K.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:08 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Its not very well hidden! There are very few places in the world where people would not expect to have to pay at least something for this service. The UK and perhaps Alberta, spring to mind.
Give your head a shake. Perhaps you meant to say B.C. or Manitoba or Saskatchewan but ALBERTA.

Why on earth would you think Albertans would expect to not have to pay for ambulance service.

This is the land of user pay for just about everything.

My last "ten minute" trip to the hospital by ambulance cost me $500, considerably more than the $45 you apparently have to pay.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:12 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kt0157
Better look at the climate data carefully when choosing where to research. The "ish" part of "coldish" may not be what you're thinking of.

I have never been so cold in my life as in Toronto in the winter of 1998. I came with British warm weather clothing which had to be replaced immediately by a trip to MEC on the first day (I had to run down the street to the store just to keep warm).

There you go: some "local knowledge". All that climate data is Canada is never enforced anyway..

K.
Well as my wife is from Ukraine and not many people may know the climate in that country which we have both experienced, in the months between May and August it can get as high as +38 celcius and in the winter months as low as -15 celcius with snow a plenty. In actual fact we were thinking of the Niagara region which doesn't even have that temperature range from my investigations.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jempee]
Originally Posted by britishvixen21
The Canadians have no fashion sense - true enough they dont, but they also dont give a hoot what they wear and also dont give a hoot what you were either, so instead of putting on a full face and ironing my clothes to walk the dog, I do what everyone else does and walk him in my PJ's with my hair scraped back. Imagine how much of your life you are saving by not trying to look good for everyone else?

I completly agree with you on this. No fashion sense, 12 yr hates the clothes here as she is an H&M girl!

At home i washed and straightned my hair everyday and was always particular about my clothes etc. Never wearing the same top twice in one week for example(shallow i know!) Never went out without make up on.
Here, well i have only used hairspray once and havent even bothered to check how the back of my hair looks at all. Im to busy dying to get out the door to go out to worry about it. I may even when it gets a bit cold buy a hat/cap so that i can get out even quicker. Now down to eye liner only most days.

yesterday i saw a lady picking up her mail in her pj's and slippers she just didnt care.

I walk the dog in mine I really dont care anymore and i was jsut like you in the UK, I love it here so much more relaxed.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:19 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Well as my wife is from Ukraine and not many people may know the climate in that country which we have both experienced, in the months between May and August it can get as high as +38 celcius and in the winter months as low as -15 celcius with snow a plenty. In actual fact we were thinking of the Niagara region which doesn't even have that temperature range from my investigations.
Ukrainians were imported into Alberta as they had the expertise in growing crops in such a extreme climate that the Britishers didn't have. This was a long time ago though, around the start of the 20th century methinks.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Post Re: Is Canada better than UK Really ?

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
I dont really think anyone can answer that for you, as that is very personal, but I would do it all over again, and of all the immigrants I have ever spoken to they would do it again too.

Of course we complain were British its in our blood to do it, but along with the negative threads there are some great ones too.

Let me address the concerns you mentioned and turn them into positives.

The Canadians have no fashion sense - true enough they dont, but they also dont give a hoot what they wear and also dont give a hoot what you were either, so instead of putting on a full face and ironing my clothes to walk the dog, I do what everyone else does and walk him in my PJ's with my hair scraped back. Imagine how much of your life you are saving by not trying to look good for everyone else?

There is no way that the Canadians are as anti social as England is becomming, sure in the big cities its a little aloof, but even living in Toronto (dubbed the unfreindly city) I still say good morning to ppl I dont know at the bus stop and get shown directions without any funny looks.

Some immigrants find it hard to find decent jobs at the get go, but were immigrants!! we cant expect to come in a become CEO of the Royal Bank within a week. This is a different country and they have different rules, so you can either try and get your qualifications registered during the 4 year wait and be pro active in your wait time so its easier when you get here. or you can sit on your backside like everyone else in England and moan when you get here you cant get a decent job, cos you spent the last 4 years complaining about the wait and how as a british citizen you should have gotten here quicker, instead of spending the time on exploratory visits and making good contacts.

True enough to us they seem like stupid laws, like not being able to buy booze in normal stores, But.... we sure dont have many 15 year olds hanging around bus stops p*** drunk with nothing to do. THis country has something that Britain doesnt have and thats structure. Sure its going to feel a little reppresive at times but you cant have it both ways, when I went back to blighty in May I saw Chaos starting to rain because they dont have the structure of these silly laws. THe silly laws make Canada what it is really.

Until you get here you wont know if its the right thing for you, but I love it here, ive never had such a good life, yeah I moan but if i had to go back id be devastated.

I am not usuallu first to praise Canada, and do not know what you mean by structure or whether it is "silly laws" that keep Canada on even keel or prayers of humble believers, but I read in the Evening Standard today of a young man who, accompanied by his girlfriend took a trolley full of goods out of a TESCO without paying for it, and when accosted by the security guard in the doorway stabbed him in the back 3 times and with all composure loaded his stuff into the boot and drove off. I also have been told that most boys at secondary schools carry knives in the U.K.Question: Do you know if the same are being "introduced" in Canada?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:22 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Ukrainians were imported into Alberta as they had the expertise in growing crops in such a extreme climate that the Britishers didn't have. This was a long time ago though, around the start of the 20th century methinks.
Yes, Ukraine was always the supplier of everything that grew to Russia because of their very fertile land and that's probably why my wife loves plants and gardening (she lived on a farm in her teens) so much and why our children are such healthy eaters.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:23 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gezza
I also have been told that most boys at secondary schools carry knives in the U.K.

Do you believe this? Really? I can't believe that the people I was at school with not so long ago would ever carry knives.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:26 pm
C'est correck

Yes, Ukraine was always the supplier of everything that grew to Russia because of their very fertile land and that's probably why my wife loves plants and gardening (she lived on a farm in her teens) so much and why our children are such healthy eaters.

Good to hear your children are eating well. My daughter has 80% fruit and veg in her diet and is positively glowing from it. She'll eat anything as well. I think starting kids of with a good diet is one of the best gifts you can give them; especially with the predicted obesity epidemic.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 10:30 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Good to hear your children are eating well. My daughter has 80% fruit and veg in her diet and is positively glowing from it. She'll eat anything as well. I think starting kids of with a good diet is one of the best gifts you can give them; especially with the predicted obesity epidemic.
What do you mean by predicted, it's rife in the UK already; it's from eating all that ready meal crap, pies, burgers and pizza very day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.