Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can you study for GCSE'S whilst in Canada

Can you study for GCSE'S whilst in Canada

Old Oct 15th 2013, 12:48 am
Just Joined

anji23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you study for GCSE'S whilst in Canada

Hi, was wondering if anyone know's if you can study for GCSE'S whilst living in Canada. My daughter is 16 & in Canadian high school but would like the option of getting UK qualification's as we may move back to the UK in the next year or so & GED will mean nothing when we get back home.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you study for GCSE'S whilst in Canada

Originally Posted by anji23
Hi, was wondering if anyone know's if you can study for GCSE'S whilst living in Canada. My daughter is 16 & in Canadian high school but would like the option of getting UK qualification's as we may move back to the UK in the next year or so & GED will mean nothing when we get back home.
Why would she be taking GED? That is only for people who did not complete high school, and 19 and older. She would have a high school diploma after grade 12, which is recognized by UK universities.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 12:06 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anji23
if you are serious about her doing GCSE, O's & A levels

http://www.cie.org.uk/ from this site you can see the specific subjects available as well as sample or past exam papers

in Edmonton, contact in the link below & ask them

http://news.epsb.ca/tag/cambridge-in...-examinations/

Last I read, there is a recognition of Canadian grade 12 high school diploma with transcripts by colleges & universities in the UK, in the link below from a UK university

http://www.studylondon.ac.uk/applica...rements#canada

Have you looked at or considered the International Baccalaureate?

http://www.ibo.org/general/who.cfm

The IB diploma

http://www.ibo.org/diploma/

for a school near you within the link below select from the drop down menu

http://www.ibo.org/country/CA/index.cfm

Last edited by not2old; Oct 15th 2013 at 12:23 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

We moved back to the UK 6 months ago, for my daughter to take GCSEs.
She studied the International version (IGCSE), as we couldn't get work assessed.
Edexcel is the best known IGCSE organisation - they have a very good website, with lots of help, information, sections for students and parents.
The only problem is, that there is no convenient assessment centre which sits IGCSEs.
I think any centre can apply to sit them, though, so if you build a relationship with an exam centre (try a private school or college), they may well agree to let your daughter sit her exams. You pay the exam fees through the school/ college, and perhaps a fee to the college as well.
They are recognised in the UK and outside, and are viewed as just as good or better than standard GCSE's.
My daughter studied on her own, at home, from study guides, which you can buy through Amazon. It isn't easy studying alone, and the Canadian curriculum does not cover all of the IGCSE syllabus, so your daughter will need to work hard, but it is perfectly possible.
My daughter left her high school and started studying from her revision books at the beginning of April. Her exams started in mid May, and she took 12 exams which ended in the second week of June.
So, she only had a maximum of 6 weeks study time in which to learn 2 years' of work.
She ended up with 2 As, 3 Bs and a C. She needed 5 Bs to get into 6th form to study A levels.
Good luck to your daughter.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 1:27 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcar
We moved back to the UK 6 months ago, for my daughter to take GCSEs.
She studied the International version (IGCSE), as we couldn't get work assessed.
Edexcel is the best known IGCSE organisation - they have a very good website, with lots of help, information, sections for students and parents.
http://www.edexcel.com/international...s/default.aspx

would you mind sharing what the approximate cost was?
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

I paid a British comprehensive which is registered to sit the IGCSE exams (Caldicot College, near Newport in south Wales). If I remember rightly, the cost per exam is around 150 GBP, but I registered my daughter for her exams late, so had to pay double.
I am sure the costs are available on the website.
The only complication is that I think you need to find a place to sit the exams first - you pay the exam fees through the exam centre (ie the exam centre makes the entries for you, and you pay after).
Hope that makes sense.