Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can you help please?

Can you help please?

Old Aug 14th 2006, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can you help please?

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
Hi Eve and Sam,

Yes; Today is an fantastically wonderful day thanks

Dozzzzy

Applied Skilled Worker (London)
Application submitted - 05th July 2004
AOR Dated - 21st July 2004 (18 Months)
Delay Letter - Arrived Jan 2006 (Delayed till June 2006)
Medical Request - 26 May 2006 (NO Interview or Updated Docs Required)
Medical Taken - 28th May 2006
Medical Received - 4 July 2006
Info Request - 17 July - Update Available Funds
PPR - 14 Aug 2006 !!!!!
Congratulations Dozzzy, I'm right at the applying stage!

Got get em' and best of luck, you lucky so and so!

'Evy'
Old Aug 14th 2006, 3:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs
Hi guys,

Is there anyone else out there who can help me with my initil enquiry regarding the conversion of HGV licenses and tests etc. Any truckers out there??

Evy
I'm not a trucker, but you can only swap for a regular "G" license. Even motorcyclists cant swap and have to take the test.

There is no swap for a truck licence (A-Z) on Ontario (and any other canadian province I guess) so will need you to take the tests.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud ofMr & Mrs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
I'm not a trucker, but you can only swap for a regular "G" license. Even motorcyclists cant swap and have to take the test.

There is no swap for a truck licence (A-Z) on Ontario (and any other canadian province I guess) so will need you to take the tests.
Thank you Iaink for your post! That'll really cheer my hubbby up knowing he has to retest after drivng HGV1 16 years. What about his HIAB (lorry mounted Crne operators license, I think) that kind of thing, are they a retest?

Thanks

EVY
Old Aug 14th 2006, 3:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Iaink for your post! That'll really cheer my hubbby up knowing he has to retest after drivng HGV1 16 years. What about his HIAB (lorry mounted Crne operators license, I think) that kind of thing, are they a retest?

Thanks

EVY
Dont know, but wouldnt surprise me if it is.

I did find this on a US H&S site, and it would come as no surprise if Canada is similar.

"Current federal laws do not require crane operators to be licensed or certified. At present, 12 states (California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, West Virginia) and 6 cities (Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, New Orleans, Omaha, Washington DC) require crane operators to be licensed. Certification is usually a voluntary process initiated by a non-governmental agency through which individuals are recognized for their knowledge and skill"

On the other hand there was this, from the Ontario ministry..
"A person working a mobile or tower crane operator must hold a valid Certificate of Qualification or be registered as an apprentice. Upon the successful completion of the apprenticeship program and passing a trade examination, a person working in these trades is entitled to a Certificate of Apprenticeship and a Certificate of Qualification. Inter-provincial (Red Seal) trade certification, which allows qualified mobile or tower crane operators to work in other provinces and territories is also available in Ontario.

Mobile crane operators may also require a provincial license to drive mobile cranes on public roads. Some employers may require internal company certification as a crane operator.

Entry to apprenticeship requires a job and usually completion of Grade 12. The apprentice applies directly to the employer, union or joint industry committee for an apprenticeship opening. Students who have completed Grade 10 have an opportunity to become registered apprentices while finishing high school under the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program. Alternatively, entry into apprenticeship can be pursued through pre-apprenticeship training."

So it looks like a "Red Seal" type deal (which will require an assesment and test as a best case)...but thats for real crane operators..so to summarise..I dont know

Is this any help?
http://www.tradesecrets.org/index.ht...1_profile.html

Last edited by iaink; Aug 14th 2006 at 3:30 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 3:31 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont know, but wouldnt surprise me if it is.

I did find this on a US H&S site, and it would come as no surprise if Canada is similar.

"Current federal laws do not require crane operators to be licensed or certified. At present, 12 states (California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, West Virginia) and 6 cities (Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, New Orleans, Omaha, Washington DC) require crane operators to be licensed. Certification is usually a voluntary process initiated by a non-governmental agency through which individuals are recognized for their knowledge and skill"

On the other hand there was this, form the Ontario ministry..
"A person working a mobile or tower crane operator must hold a valid Certificate of Qualification or be registered as an apprentice. Upon the successful completion of the apprenticeship program and passing a trade examination, a person working in these trades is entitled to a Certificate of Apprenticeship and a Certificate of Qualification. Inter-provincial (Red Seal) trade certification, which allows qualified mobile or tower crane operators to work in other provinces and territories is also available in Ontario.

Mobile crane operators may also require a provincial license to drive mobile cranes on public roads. Some employers may require internal company certification as a crane operator.

Entry to apprenticeship requires a job and usually completion of Grade 12. The apprentice applies directly to the employer, union or joint industry committee for an apprenticeship opening. Students who have completed Grade 10 have an opportunity to become registered apprentices while finishing high school under the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program. Alternatively, entry into apprenticeship can be pursued through pre-apprenticeship training."

So it looks like a "Red Seal" type deal (which will require an assesment and test as a best case)...but thats for real crane operators..so to summarise..I dont know
A link to add to Iaink's excellent response.

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/groups/7371.shtml

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys for all your replies and oh pooey!

Can't imagime my hubby sat in a classroom studying his HGV again, he'll be mortified as thats all he knows!

Thanks again guys I'll make him a cuppa for when he climbs down from the ceiling.

Evy
Old Aug 14th 2006, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks guys for all your replies and oh pooey!

Can't imagime my hubby sat in a classroom studying his HGV again, he'll be mortified as thats all he knows!

Thanks again guys I'll make him a cuppa for when he climbs down from the ceiling.

Evy
After looking through some websites including Canadian Truckers and then onto provincial training schools my questions is:

Is is possible to fly out an attend one of the apprenticeships/course in Canada, most seem to be for around 12 weeks, pass the tests and get the Truck & trailer license and then fly back to the UK ready for when we emigrate?

Sorry its long winded but is it do-able or am I seeing it to simplistically. Is there another route?

Evy

Last edited by Mr & Mrs; Aug 14th 2006 at 7:21 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 7:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Aftre looking through some websites including Canadian Truckers and then onto provincial training schools my questions is:

Is is possible to fly out an attend one of the apprenticeships/course in Canada, most seem to be for around 12 weeks, pass the tests and get the Truck & trailer license and then fly back to the UK ready for when we emigrate?

Sorry its long winded but is is do-able or am I seeing it to simplistically. Is there another route?

Evy
I dont think you dont need to do the apprenticeship, just the test Check out Koogars blog, hes just started trucking over here.

http://koogarboots.blogspot.com/
Old Aug 14th 2006, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

I dont think you dont need to do the apprenticeship, just the test Check out Koogars blog, hes just started trucking over here.

http://koogarboots.blogspot.com/
Thanks again Iaink your a star!

Evy
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:16 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.
I'd been driving HGV1 for 17 years, so pretty much the same position as your hubby.
I can only tell you about what happens in Saskatchewan if you come here.
He'll have to do 7 computerised multiply guess tests which he can do all in one go if he wants (classes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 plus air and signs). For his road test, he has 3 parts. He has a circle check (pre-trip) test, just walking round the truck telling the examiner what he's checking, an air systems check test where he tests all the trucks air systems and then the road test which is about an hour.
In Saskatchewan, the motorcycle (M) licence is exchange without the need for another test, however, as Iaink says, that isn't the case for all provinces.
Anyway, I've replied to your PM, so you can get me on there if you wanna know anything else.
Good luck
Old Aug 16th 2006, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by koogar
Hi.
I'd been driving HGV1 for 17 years, so pretty much the same position as your hubby.
I can only tell you about what happens in Saskatchewan if you come here.
He'll have to do 7 computerised multiply guess tests which he can do all in one go if he wants (classes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 plus air and signs). For his road test, he has 3 parts. He has a circle check (pre-trip) test, just walking round the truck telling the examiner what he's checking, an air systems check test where he tests all the trucks air systems and then the road test which is about an hour.
In Saskatchewan, the motorcycle (M) licence is exchange without the need for another test, however, as Iaink says, that isn't the case for all provinces.
Anyway, I've replied to your PM, so you can get me on there if you wanna know anything else.
Good luck
Many thanks Koogar, I'll have a look see and thanks for your time!

Evy
Old Sep 4th 2006, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Hi everyone

My name is Eve and my hubbys name is Sam hope your all having a wonderful day.

We are right at the beginning of the process and when I say beginning I mean still filling out application forms so we're still being very tentative.

We are applying via the Business class route and I will be running a B & B / Motel while my hubbys drives HGV 1.

Which brings me to my first question, although he is a qualified driver here in the UK, will his qualification still stand in Canada? If not, will he need to do a conversion course, or an assessment and resit the truck drivers certificate entirely? In fact will any of his tickets stand in Canada, HIAB, Forks & reach truck etc?

Can anyone help me with the answers?

I may have some more questions and you'll probably find I'll be a pain in the preverbial as I'm a real gas bag!

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers.

Love 'Evy'
Check out New Brunswick PNP route - both your ideas, B&B and HGV will get your application's under way.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bethan2
Hi Evy, we go out 31st August for landing in PEI (as Yonk says, this is Prince Edward Island) so it's all happening at the moment! I will send you a PM (private message) to get tips on B&B. Cheers
Hello you!

So you made it then in under a year!!!

Are you going to visit us again, or we can drive along to see you, once you are settled?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Bethan2 will become famous soon enoughBethan2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Hello you!

So you made it then in under a year!!!

Are you going to visit us again, or we can drive along to see you, once you are settled?
Hello Steve. Yes we made it in 9 months! Just landed last week. We'll visit you when we're settled and you're always welcome to come over here. Thanks for all your advice and everyone's on here - it's made it a lot easier. Will post a report on our landing experiences when I get a computer and more time to log on. In the meantime our container has been "seized" by customs so am trying to sort that out!
Cheers