Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can You Get By In Toronto Earning Minimum Wage?

Can You Get By In Toronto Earning Minimum Wage?

Old Jun 5th 2009, 1:52 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can You Get By In Toronto Earning Minimum Wage?

Originally Posted by phat-dave
we dont expect to be out partying every night and living too extravagantly and i kind of had these figures worked out, roughly:

- $2000/m for furnished 1bedroom downtown
- $100/m for internet/mobile phone
- $900/m for food ($30/day x 30)
- $150/m for travel/health insurance
- $150/m for hydro
- $1000/m ($250/wk) to just piss up the wall
- $150/m for public transport

total = $4450/m or $53400/pa
If you can fund that, you should be OK. You may wish to examine your lifestyle, though. I don't think normal people spend as much on food and booze as they spend on rent. We do but we're not normal.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
If you can fund that, you should be OK. You may wish to examine your lifestyle, though. I don't think normal people spend as much on food and booze as they spend on rent. We do but we're not normal.
yeah I know, I just used a quick number like $5 for breakfast, $5 for lunch $5 for dinner x 2 ppl = $30 etc...

at the moment we spend a ridiculous sum on entertainment, dinner and liquor lol
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

If you want to live on Minimum wage I would pick small cities that are far far north from TO. where house prices start at 30 grand. waiting is the only way to live in Toronto unskilled.

I've work as waiter I made around 40,000 pounds a year take home, I never got a job here tho. Nobody wanted me a male waiter. But one of my employees has a daughter who works part time for a big name restaurant. She makes 600 to 800 a week, part time working 3 days week. 1 normal shift and 2 are double shifts.

In Ontario when you are a waiter you make what is called a server wage. its a buck less than the minimum wage of $8.50 so you make $7.50 an hour. If you are in a good restaurant and you can handle 10-20 tables you make good money. being a server is all about you. if you make crap money than your doing something wrong.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Jun 5th 2009 at 5:25 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:39 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

As a comparison, heres the time it takes to buy a Big Mac (or equivalent) on minimum wage in US, UK, Canada and Cyprus:

Canada (Ontario)-22.23mins
United Kingdom - 23.98mins
United States (New York) - 29.75mins
Cyprus - 45.77mins
Old Jun 6th 2009, 12:38 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by phat-dave
we dont expect to be out partying every night and living too extravagantly and i kind of had these figures worked out, roughly:

- $2000/m for furnished 1bedroom downtown
- $100/m for internet/mobile phone
- $900/m for food ($30/day x 30)
- $150/m for travel/health insurance
- $150/m for hydro
- $1000/m ($250/wk) to just piss up the wall
- $150/m for public transport

total = $4450/m or $53400/pa
And people say vancouver is expensive!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

my figures are inflated though, i mean because we really intend on being around for twelve months or so (unless we did actually get a job in our career fields) we are living like semi-tourists instead of true expats.