Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can they really strip your UK Driving Licence away?!

Can they really strip your UK Driving Licence away?!

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 2:28 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can they really strip your UK Driving Licence away?!

Slightly off/on topic..... What happens to your UK licence once you have exchanged it? Do they inform DVLA? Does your UK licence get cancelled?

I am curious as we have a friend who applied for a photocard licence in the UK before he arrived in Canada and kept his old paper one (told the DVLA that it had been lost). He handed in the paper one to AB Registries and still has his photo one. He insists that he can still drive on this UK licence - I am doubtful but just wondered if anyone knew?

J
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

danniek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jingle
Slightly off/on topic..... What happens to your UK licence once you have exchanged it? Do they inform DVLA? Does your UK licence get cancelled?

I am curious as we have a friend who applied for a photocard licence in the UK before he arrived in Canada and kept his old paper one (told the DVLA that it had been lost). He handed in the paper one to AB Registries and still has his photo one. He insists that he can still drive on this UK licence - I am doubtful but just wondered if anyone knew?

J
When they hand in their UK licence, the registry clerk keeps it and sends it to the government head office. The head office then sends the UK licences that are collected throughout the province, back to the UK. From there, a clerk enters the licence into their system as being returned from whatever province it came from.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

brummi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I happen to think it's a good idea to have to retake your tests. We got here just as the legislation changed in Alberta, from having to take the test to not having to take the test.

If I had taken the test, I would have known what a flashing red light meant or a flashing orange light, the 1st time I came across them. There have been other occasions where we have come accross a sign or something ans gone 'what does that mean?' Usually common sense see you through, especially if you have had many years of driving experience. It just makes sense to me - new country, new rules, new test to make sure you understand those rules.
I agree Piff Poff. I've been driving here for just over a year and I'm still learning! In hindsight I would have had a few lessons first.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
I see no evidence that the locals take one!
In every registry office throughout Alberta you will see these little booths with Canadian teens sitting looking pale and nervous, and their mothers are usually pacing nearby looking pale and nervous (nervous that their kids are going to pass!) They are taking their theory exam.

Last edited by triumphguy; Jun 22nd 2009 at 5:14 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=danniek;7686857]The term ordinarily resident is found in the immigration act. Basically, it means that they are a person who, in the settled routine of that person's life, makes their home, resides and is ordinarily present in Canada. It goes further into detail stating that a person must be present for 183 days of a calendar year.

So to be classed as ordinarily resident I must be in BC for 183 days.
I work 157 + 20 days travel so that that leaves me maximum time that I can be present in BC 188. With a 1 week holiday each year. I drop under time frame present to be classed as an ordinarily resident. but still meet the criteria as PR as only need to be present for 730 out of 1825 days with I will hit easily if I maintain anaverage of approx 155 days per year in BC.
So were do that leave me now confusing ey! Got PR status working and pay UK tax in UK. Out of the country for slightly more than I am in! Told couldn't get a Canadian DL. I d say I was inclined to continue to be a UK resident for tax purposes. Paying UK tax and insurance and filing Canadian tax returns every year to write of paying Canadian tax against my world wide taxes paid.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:33 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=scottymallo;7697404]
Originally Posted by danniek
The term ordinarily resident is found in the immigration act. Basically, it means that they are a person who, in the settled routine of that person's life, makes their home, resides and is ordinarily present in Canada. It goes further into detail stating that a person must be present for 183 days of a calendar year.

So to be classed as ordinarily resident I must be in BC for 183 days.
I work 157 + 20 days travel so that that leaves me maximum time that I can be present in BC 188. With a 1 week holiday each year. I drop under time frame present to be classed as an ordinarily resident. but still meet the criteria as PR as only need to be present for 730 out of 1825 days with I will hit easily if I maintain anaverage of approx 155 days per year in BC.
So were do that leave me now confusing ey! Got PR status working and pay UK tax in UK. Out of the country for slightly more than I am in! Told couldn't get a Canadian DL. I d say I was inclined to continue to be a UK resident for tax purposes. Paying UK tax and insurance and filing Canadian tax returns every year to write of paying Canadian tax against my world wide taxes paid.
I'd get some professional advice if I were you. Drivers License issues aside, I cannot see how you can maintain PR status, if you claim to be ordinarily resident outside of Canada. It looks to be a contradictory position.