Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can they really strip your UK Driving Licence away?!

Can they really strip your UK Driving Licence away?!

Old May 27th 2009, 5:52 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can they really strip your UK Driving Licence away?!

Originally Posted by scottymallo
Either way the amost of UK tax I pay will cover me against paying canadian tax hopefully as currently paying around 30%. Plus I have to pay for all my own travel costs which can be over $10,000 per year . I doubt I will be left with any additional taxes in Canada. I would class myself as a UK tax resident. Even though I live in BC. I pay uk tax full NI and have a UK pension plan and work full time in UK. The reason I have PR status is only through my wife sponsoring me. I didnt need it to buy my property or to get into the country as Im not present in BC 21 for more than days at a time.
Your wife is here though..... Deductions for travel costs are different here too, so as the previous poster with current tax knowledge suggested...I'd get it checked out. You don't want to get hit with penalties for not filing in Canada when you should have.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts...sdncy-eng.html
Old May 27th 2009, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

glenfiddich is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

If you are here in Canada for only 21 days at a stretch will you be able to requalify to keep your PR? Out of 5 years you have to physically be in Canada so much time of that. There are a few special cases where you can keep your PR even though you are outside Canada.
Old May 27th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

2 out of 5 years which I will maintain being in Canada 3 out of 5 weeks.
Old May 27th 2009, 11:18 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Can they really strip your UK Driving Licence away?!

Originally Posted by scottymallo
Either way the amost of UK tax I pay will cover me against paying canadian tax hopefully as currently paying around 30%. Plus I have to pay for all my own travel costs which can be over $10,000 per year . I doubt I will be left with any additional taxes in Canada. I would class myself as a UK tax resident. Even though I live in BC. I pay uk tax full NI and have a UK pension plan and work full time in UK. The reason I have PR status is only through my wife sponsoring me. I didnt need it to buy my property or to get into the country as Im not present in BC 21 for more than days at a time.
You sound like a Canadian tax resident to me. Here's an excerpt from the relevant CRA Bulletin:

"an individual's spouse or common-law partner, dependants, and dwelling place, if located in Canada, will almost always constitute significant ties with Canada."

However, the tax treaty has a tie-break clause which allows your centre of financial affairs to be the determining factor - but this is at the discretion of the UK and Canadian tax authorities.

But this thread is about provincial residency. If you have a BC home address, then you could be considered resident. If you have a BC SIN number, that would count too. Most times, we the people are trying to prove provincial residency to the authorities, not provincial non-residency.
Old May 27th 2009, 11:21 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I think there should at least be a theory exam for new arrivals to AB
I see no evidence that the locals take one!
Old May 27th 2009, 11:37 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Just wanted to mention

Me and hubby took our BC drivers tests in March 2009 - we arrived in Sept ( end of) 2008. Nothing was said about us being over the 3 months though I get the feeling if we had pushed it much more something might have been said. WE took the theory first in january and passed.
When we passed the theory they took note of our Uk drivers license - the woman explained ( as she was training a new person) that normally at this stage a Canadian person would be required to have a second person driving with them - like the Uk provisional..as we had a Uk license we could drive on the strength of that until we passed our test which obviously meant we didnt need a second person. They noted the license but disnt take it.
On the day we sat our road test they didnt take our UK license at ANY time as far as I can remember. I was under the impression that if you fail you just cant drive in Canada on your Uk license i dont think they actually keep it - well they didnt seem to where I took mine anyway. I mean how could they, what if you decide not to take it again and go back to the UK - how would u get it back? What if you just decide not to bother, but u require the license to drive in the UK when on vacation? I just dont see how they could take it and keep it from you I mean seriously, its not that hard to get a replacement if you really wanted to so it defeats the object really.

Also I found the test was fine, examiner was great. Though we were given a tip to have a few "lessons" before hand and this definately paid off, not because we desparately needed the lessons though the info was sure helpful, but because the instructor phoned the examiner before the test to let him know we had had lessons and we were her students - worked a treat he was great!!!
Old May 27th 2009, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Welsh Tony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Linda P
Well how about this.....

When I went back in the next day, the lady in the registry informed me that the legistration had come in that day to just exchange the licence. Even though I had failed the day before, they were willing to just give me my Alberta licence

Linda
If you can exchange your British licence in Newfoundland for Canadian one, how long do you have to be there to apply for one. Can I get one whilst on reccy so that I have Canadian one ready for when we move over to NS, NB?
Old May 28th 2009, 12:08 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welsh Tony
If you can exchange your British licence in Newfoundland for Canadian one, how long do you have to be there to apply for one. Can I get one whilst on reccy so that I have Canadian one ready for when we move over to NS, NB?
I believe you require to have a work visa (TWP or PR) before you can legally hold a Canadian Driving Licence. When that status is achieved the exchanging of licences takes probably 30-45 minutes max.
Old May 28th 2009, 12:13 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

In AB at least, you need proof of residence. We used the signed accepted offer on our house. They issue a temp permit and mail the licence proper to you in about 2 weeks.
Old May 30th 2009, 1:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In most jurisdictions, you need to be living there - not just visiting.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:47 pm
Just Joined

Sinistermisterman is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Can they really strip your UK Driving Licence away?!

a) a person who has a validly issued and subsisting driver's or operator's licence or permit issued according to the laws where he or she is ordinarily resident, for 6 months from the date he or she last entered British Columbia;

b) a person who has become ordinarily resident in British Columbia and who has a validly issued and subsisting driver's or operator's licence or permit issued according to the laws of the jurisdiction where he or she was most recently ordinarily resident, for 90 days after he or she became ordinarily resident in British Columbia;

Now I'm living in Vancouver, working full time, paying Canadian taxes, but I'm here on a working holiday visa which lasts only 1 year. I also have an address in the UK too - Does this make me "ordinarily resident"?
To play on the safe side I've already taken a trip over the US border and back again getting stamped in and out, in accordance with "6 months from the date he or she last entered British Columbia".
Anyone know where I stand?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

Does this make me "ordinarily resident"? again this is a vauge term! I think you ll be ok with your UK lic!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

mcfly1313 is on a distinguished road

been reading through this thread.....

can I throw this one into the mix?
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/E...eciprocal.aspx

the above link seems to indicate in ontario at least you can swap your brit licence for a canadian one possibly without taking the test?. I take it this is a provincial thing?

marty
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

danniek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sinistermisterman
a) a person who has a validly issued and subsisting driver's or operator's licence or permit issued according to the laws where he or she is ordinarily resident, for 6 months from the date he or she last entered British Columbia;

b) a person who has become ordinarily resident in British Columbia and who has a validly issued and subsisting driver's or operator's licence or permit issued according to the laws of the jurisdiction where he or she was most recently ordinarily resident, for 90 days after he or she became ordinarily resident in British Columbia;

Now I'm living in Vancouver, working full time, paying Canadian taxes, but I'm here on a working holiday visa which lasts only 1 year. I also have an address in the UK too - Does this make me "ordinarily resident"?
To play on the safe side I've already taken a trip over the US border and back again getting stamped in and out, in accordance with "6 months from the date he or she last entered British Columbia".
Anyone know where I stand?
The term ordinarily resident is found in the immigration act. Basically, it means that they are a person who, in the settled routine of that person's life, makes their home, resides and is ordinarily present in Canada. It goes further into detail stating that a person must be present for 183 days of a calendar year.

Originally Posted by mcfly1313
been reading through this thread.....

can I throw this one into the mix?
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/E...eciprocal.aspx

the above link seems to indicate in ontario at least you can swap your brit licence for a canadian one possibly without taking the test?. I take it this is a provincial thing?

marty
You are correct. Each province operates under seperate legislation. Some have a recirpocal agreement with the UK, others do not.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The rules are different in Alberta because you exchange your UK license for an Albertan one. In BC you earn your BC license. They give you your UK one back once you pass the BC test.

I have a BC and a UK license. When I go to renew my BC license they ask me if I still have my UK license, and if I have got any points on it since the last time they asked.
Yup - me too, renewed mine about three weeks ago and they didn;t even ask about the points; just - do you hold any other driving licenses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.