Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can someone give me advice on getting a work permit in Canada?

Can someone give me advice on getting a work permit in Canada?

Old Aug 24th 2002, 4:51 pm
ejp
Just Joined

ejp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can someone give me advice on getting a work permit in Canada?

Hello,
I am a GIS (Geomatics) Postgraduate British student (I also have 1 year work experience in the real world in the UK) and am coming to the end of my course. I have a Candian partner who is finishing her postgrad course at the same time as me. I have been to Canada (Toronto) for a holiday with her and loved it, so much that I would like to live and work there with her for a year or two (I'm not quite ready to get married yet!!).
I just wondered whether anyone had any advice or experience they could share with me about going through this process. It seems that I would need a Job offer before I start, is this correct if so how long would it take to get a work permit and how long do these last? Could I enter Canada with my partner, live with her and look for jobs and then apply for a work permit once a company has indicated it wants to employ me? Is it easy for candian employers to employ a British person?

I would be grateful for any advice or exeperiences that others may have....

Thanks
ejp
Old Aug 24th 2002, 9:55 pm
Andrew Miller

Default Re: Can someone give me advice on getting a work permit in Canada?

In order to apply for work permit your employer must first obtain job offer
validation from HRDC after proving that after extensive (min 3 months) nationwide
search Canadian candidate for the offered position cannot be found. I have no idea
how is the job market in your field, but you should find out everything first.

But if you are living together with your Canadian partner in conjugal or common-law
relationship for at least 12 months (as of the time of PR application) then she can
sponsor you for PR status from within Canada. In such case you'll be eligible to
remain in Canada during PR process and to obtain an open work permit without any need
for job offer validation - you won't even need to have a job offer when applying for
work permit as sponsored inland common-law spouse or partner of Canadian.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE from the above address before
sending email)

"ejp" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, I am a GIS (Geomatics) Postgraduate British student (I also have 1 year work
    > experience in the real world in the UK) and am coming to the end of my course. I
    > have a Candian partner who is finishing her postgrad course at the same time as me.
    > I have been to Canada (Toronto) for a holiday with her and loved it, so much that I
    > would like to live and work there with her for a year or two (I'm not quite ready
    > to get married yet!!). I just wondered whether anyone had any advice or experience
    > they could share with me about going through this process. It seems that I would
    > need a Job offer before I start, is this correct if so how long would it take to
    > get a work permit and how long do these last? Could I enter Canada with my
    > partner, live with her and look for jobs and then apply for a work permit once a
    > company has indicated it wants to employ me? Is it easy for candian employers to
    > employ a British person?
    > I would be grateful for any advice or exeperiences that others may have....
    > Thanks ejp
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 28th 2002, 1:25 pm
ejp
Just Joined

ejp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sponsored Common-law partner, obtaining a work permit from within Canada whilst PR ap

Dear Mr Miller,

Thank you for your reply regarding advice on getting a work permit in Canada, however this has brought up a few more questions which I was wondering whether you could help me with...

1: By the time I apply for PR I would class myself as living with my Canadian partner for over one year (this presumably could include time I live/stay with her in Canada?), however most of this was at university and we had seperate study/bedrooms although we spent most of the time together in my room, including nights. This was partly out of default because we met at university, and out of cost and work considerations. I certainly consider her as my permanent partner. Will this affect our application?

2: When I do apply for PR status from within Canada, how do I obtain or where do I go to obtain an 'open' work permit (and I presume a Social Insurance Number) you talked about? I would want to get a job as quickly as possible after starting the PR application process. Is it a slow and costly process?

3: Also when I do finally come to Canada do I have to state my intent to apply for PR status within Canda at the border/passport control? If I say I'm just visiting I get a 3 month visitor visa (I have a British Passport), which I think would be wrong if I intend to apply for PR status. I just can't seem to find specific information about it on the government websites.

I'm sorry it's such a long query, I just hope you can help with at least some of it!

Regards

ejp

Originally posted by Andrew Miller:
In order to apply for work permit your employer must first obtain job offer
validation from HRDC after proving that after extensive (min 3 months) nationwide
search Canadian candidate for the offered position cannot be found. I have no idea
how is the job market in your field, but you should find out everything first.

But if you are living together with your Canadian partner in conjugal or common-law
relationship for at least 12 months (as of the time of PR application) then she can
sponsor you for PR status from within Canada. In such case you'll be eligible to
remain in Canada during PR process and to obtain an open work permit without any need
for job offer validation - you won't even need to have a job offer when applying for
work permit as sponsored inland common-law spouse or partner of Canadian.

--

../..

sending email)

> Hello, I am a GIS (Geomatics) Postgraduate British student (I also have 1 year work
    > experience in the real world in the UK) and am coming to the end of my course. I
    > have a Candian partner who is finishing her postgrad course at the same time as me.
    > I have been to Canada (Toronto) for a holiday with her and loved it, so much that I
    > would like to live and work there with her for a year or two (I'm not quite ready
    > to get married yet!!). I just wondered whether anyone had any advice or experience
    > they could share with me about going through this process. It seems that I would
    > need a Job offer before I start, is this correct if so how long would it take to
    > get a work permit and how long do these last? Could I enter Canada with my
    > partner, live with her and look for jobs and then apply for a work permit once a
    > company has indicated it wants to employ me? Is it easy for candian employers to
    > employ a British person?
    > I would be grateful for any advice or exeperiences that others may have....
    > Thanks ejp
    > --
Old Aug 28th 2002, 3:47 pm
Andrew Miller

Default Re: Can someone give me advice on getting a work permit in Canada?

Please contact me directly.

--

../..

sending email)

> Dear Mr Miller,
    > Thank you for your reply regarding advice on getting a work permit in Canada,
    > however this has brought up a few more questions which I was wondering whether you
    > could help me with...
    > 1: By the time I apply for PR I would class myself as living with my Canadian
    > partner for over one year (this presumably could include time I live/stay with
    > her in Canada?), however most of this was at university and we had seperate
    > study/bedrooms although we spent most of the time together in my room,
    > including nights. This was partly out of default because we met at
    > university, and out of cost and work considerations. I certainly consider
    > her as my permanent partner. Will this affect our application?
    > 2: When I do apply for PR status from within Canada, how do I obtain or where do
    > I go to obtain an 'open' work permit (and I presume a Social Insurance Number)
    > you talked about? I would want to get a job as quickly as possible after
    > starting the PR application process. Is it a slow and costly process?
    > 3: Also when I do finally come to Canada do I have to state my intent to apply
    > for PR status within Canda at the border/passport control? If I say I'm just
    > visiting I get a 3 month visitor visa (I have a British Passport), which I
    > think would be wrong if I intend to apply for PR status. I just can't seem
    > to find specific information about it on the government websites.
    > I'm sorry it's such a long query, I just hope you can help with at least
    > some of it!
    > Regards
    > ejp
    > Originally posted by Andrew Miller:
    > > In order to apply for work permit your employer must first obtain job offer
    > > validation from HRDC after proving that after extensive (min 3 months) nationwide
    > > search Canadian candidate for the offered position cannot be found. I have no
    > > idea how is the job market in your field, but you should find out everything
    > > first.
    > >
    > > But if you are living together with your Canadian partner in conjugal or
    > > common-law relationship for at least 12 months (as of the time of PR application)
    > > then she can sponsor you for PR status from within Canada. In such case you'll be
    > > eligible to remain in Canada during PR process and to obtain an open work permit
    > > without any need for job offer validation - you won't even need to have a job
    > > offer when applying for work permit as sponsored inland common-law spouse or
    > > partner of Canadian.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > ../..
    > >
    > > Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
    > > [email protected] (delete REMOVE from the above address before
    > > sending email)
    > > ________________________________
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "ejp" wrote in message
    > > news:395115.1030207875@briti-
    > > shexpats.comnews:[email protected] om...
    > > > Hello, I am a GIS (Geomatics) Postgraduate British student (I also have 1 year
    > > > work experience in the real world in the UK) and am coming to the end of my
    > > > course. I have a Candian partner who is finishing her postgrad course at the
    > > > same time as me. I have been to Canada (Toronto) for a holiday with her and
    > > > loved it, so much that I would like to live and work there with her for a year
    > > > or two (I'm not quite ready to get married yet!!). I just wondered whether
    > > > anyone had any advice or experience they could share with me about going
    > > > through this process. It seems that I would need a Job offer before I start,
    > > > is this correct if so how long would it take to get a work permit and how long
    > > > do these last? Could I enter Canada with my partner, live with her and look
    > > > for jobs and then apply for a work permit once a company has indicated it wants
    > > > to employ me? Is it easy for candian employers to employ a British person? I
    > > > would be grateful for any advice or exeperiences that others may have....
    > > > Thanks ejp
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://bri-
    > > > tishexpats.com/http://britishexpats.com

> --