Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can our in laws get in Alberta ?

Can our in laws get in Alberta ?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all
Default Re: Can our in laws get in Alberta ?

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Yes - for the Alberta PNP Family Stream both main applicant and their spouse must be 45 or under so this isnt a route open to you.

Dont confuse this with the Family Class however which is a federal program whereby you can sponsor your parents to immigrate - there is no age limit on Family Class sponsorship. To go this route you (or your spouse/partner) have to have Permanent Residency (you cant sponsor someone if you are on a work permit). The downside of sponsorship is that it takes a long time. To sponsor parents it would take at least 3 years. They may be able to remain in Canada as visitors during thast time (by renewing their visitor visas each time before they expire) but that would obviously mean they wouldnt be able to work.

If they need to work and their occupations are not on the list of 38, then realistically their best option is for one of them to obtain a job offer from an employer in Canada and have the employer apply for an LMO etc. This would then allow them to make their own application either as Skilled Workers (assuming thei also meet the points score) with an Arranged Employment Offer or apply under the Alberta PNP Employer-Driven Steam (Skilled Worker Category).

Another more "creative" route would be for one of them to enroll on a course of study at a university/college in Canada (ideally for at least two years) and obtain a study permit. The OH of the "student" would then be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit allowing at least one partner to work without having to find a job offer first and obtain LMO etc. Also the student would, after 6 months, be eligible for a work permit to work part-time (20 hours per week). There is also a provision for the student to obtain a work permit on graduation for up to 2 years (provided it was a 2 year course). There are no restrictions on age for study permits. Plus they would have the advantage that one of them would end up with a new qualification too. I'm not sure about the rules relating to healthcare in Alberta but here in NS for example anyone on a work or study permit for more than a year qualifies for healthcare (which is another reason why I suggest a 2 year course of study).

You could have an application to Sponsor them under the Family Class running alongside the above in order to get them permanent residency by the time the work/study permits have expired.

Thanks a lot mate for both your posts, great help. You have clarified a couple of things for me. I dont think i could see the wood for the trees i was reading that much !

I didnt realise Family stream and family class were different for a start. I thought they were the same but each province had slightly different requirements ! ( I will read again ), Also, the NOC listing and student suggestion are both interesting. More research needed i think.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to post.

Regards,

Diggler.