Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can non-Citizens Join a Political Party in Canada?

Can non-Citizens Join a Political Party in Canada?

Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can non-Citizens Join a Political Party in Canada?

Question for you guys , Can non-Citizens Join a Political Party in Canada? I'm British citizen and PR of Canada.

tHANKS!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can non-Citizens Join a Political Party in Canada?

Originally Posted by celine_uk
Question for you guys , Can non-Citizens Join a Political Party in Canada? I'm British citizen and PR of Canada.

tHANKS!
I believe you can join, and attend monthly riding meeting, and help out at election time, however as you probably know you cannot vote.

I would contact your local MP and clarify

Last edited by Rete; Nov 30th 2005 at 1:44 am. Reason: corrected erro
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:25 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
I believe you can join, and attend monthly riding meeting, and help out at election time, however as you probably know you can vote.

I would contact your local MP and clarify
Shouldn't that be can't vote?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Shouldn't that be can't vote?
YUP lol! I really need to find my Glasses!

you CANNOT vote unless you are a canadian citizen
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:56 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

tHANKS!
No, you must be a Canadian citizen (and 18+ years of age)... and actually care! .
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:03 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
No, you must be a Canadian citizen (and 18+ years of age)... and actually care!
Local electorate turnout in the Kelowna mayoral elections was just over 30%. guess the delegates need to get more mobile, get ferrying those masses of seniors to the poll stations, or cut down the sedative level at the seniors' homes just about election time.

Care, my wannabee-Canadian ass at least they booted out the previous incumbent but then baulked at chucking the rest of the bumbling 'development progressives' who are in complete cahoots with developers and making nice $ out of the whole deal.

Apathy rules.
If that's OK with you ?

Rich.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:21 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you can it's not only your vote its your money they are after.

So anything that pays to work for free is welcome. who knows you might get a free pizza not hang on its supply a pizza get a free citizenship
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

No, you must be a Canadian citizen (and 18+ years of age)... and actually care! .
I don't care, but I'll vote anyway. Seems terribly rude not to when you think about all the people denied democracy around the world.

I seem to recall that non citizens cannot make financial donations to canadian parties either FWIW.

Spending your time as an activist is probably OK, but I'm sure working for a soup kitchen in the middle of the winter is probably far more worthwhile, and will help more people in the long run.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Apathy rules.
If that's OK with you ?
Hey, I don't know and I don't care....

Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
I don't care, but I'll vote anyway. Seems terribly rude not to when you think about all the people denied democracy around the world.
Oh, I vote ... and protest, write letters and I mooned Ralph Klein once (he started it). I just don't have enough of an allegiance to any political party to become a member.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:57 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

tHANKS!

Absolutely, and they'd also love you to help with the phones, volunteer with the leaflet distribution etc. In fact I was the Financial Agent for an MLA canadidate at our Provincial Elections Recently. Sigh, we didn't win though....

Clare
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:00 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
I seem to recall that non citizens cannot make financial donations to canadian parties either FWIW.
Not only have I made a donation, but I found out (this was for the Provincials, it might be the same for the Federals) that I will be getting either 50% or 33.3% back on the first $100 when I submit my receipt with my taxes next March.

I do feel very cynical about the amount of a break you get for a political donation!

Clare
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Absolutely, and they'd also love you to help with the phones, volunteer with the leaflet distribution etc. In fact I was the Financial Agent for an MLA canadidate at our Provincial Elections Recently. Sigh, we didn't win though....

Clare
Hold on... have I been mislead? I had a Japanese friend who wanted to become a member of the Marijuana Party but couldn't because he wasn't a Canadian citizen. This was a few years ago... have the rules changed? Or did he (and then I) have it wrong from the start?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:39 pm

Hold on... have I been mislead? I had a Japanese friend who wanted to become a member of the Marijuana Party but couldn't because he wasn't a Canadian citizen. This was a few years ago... have the rules changed? Or did he (and then I) have it wrong from the start?
A quick search through the main political party websites... they're all a bit different but yeah, it looks like most of them just want some coin, that you're at least 14 and that you're a resident. Well... duh is me!

Old Nov 30th 2005, 1:37 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Not only have I made a donation, but I found out (this was for the Provincials, it might be the same for the Federals) that I will be getting either 50% or 33.3% back on the first $100 when I submit my receipt with my taxes next March.

I do feel very cynical about the amount of a break you get for a political donation!

Clare
I guess its not policed then...

"Currently, political contributions can be made by individuals, corporations, unions and other organizations; only non-Canadians and foreign companies, associations, unions or governments are prohibited from making political donations."