Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I work in Canada how is this possible?

Can I work in Canada how is this possible?

Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Vladeastasia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I work in Canada how is this possible?

Hello, I firstly want to say thank you to the website forum and also the contributed articles, I am 25 years old and live in the UK, I have a business studies diploma and I have my A-Level qualifications. I want to know if I can come to canada even for short term to work and how is this done? I looked at Bunac but they are only interested in students. I have some friends, uncles in Toronto but these are the only people I know.

So what can I do, I dont mind america canada australia, but how can it be done without contacts and without being a Student

Thanks

Vlad

If I mad also add would my Diploma in Business Studies be recognised or even looked at in canada, without it being translated?

Last edited by Vladeastasia; Jan 11th 2010 at 4:19 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I work in Canada how is this possible?

Bunac as an open work permit or find a job and get an employer to sponsor you. Without a skill-set and some experience this is going to be really hard. Bunac is by and far your best and likley only option.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Bunac is not just for students.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:53 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

You say that you live in the UK but are you a citizen? Incidentally, I'm not implying anything, I'm just asking.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
You say that you live in the UK but are you a citizen? Incidentally, I'm not implying anything, I'm just asking.
Yes Im born in the UK and educated here, My parents from central asia and east asia but they are also British Citizens and I have my own uk passport

Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:06 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vladeastasia
Yes Im born in the UK and educated here, My parents from central asia and east asia but they are also British Citizens and I have my own uk passport

Thanks
Then, AFAIK, as you are under 30, you are eligible for BUNAC, irrespective of whether you are a student or not.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Then, AFAIK, as you are under 30, you are eligible for BUNAC, irrespective of whether you are a student or not.
Thanks, yeah I just looked and its said "non students", Okay so this bunac will allow me to work for a certain period, now after that visa expires do I have to come home? Assuming my employer is happy to take me on for work for the Long haul would I be able to apply for citizenship into Canada that way?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:12 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yeah I just looked and its said "non students", Okay so this bunac will allow me to work for a certain period, now after that visa expires do I have to come home? Assuming my employer is happy to take me on for work for the Long haul would I be able to apply for citizenship into Canada that way?
You wouldn't be eligible to apply for citizenship but there could be a possibility of a temporary extension leading to further time in Canada and possible Permanenent Residency and Citizenship a good few years down the line.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

You wouldn't be eligible to apply for citizenship but there could be a possibility of a temporary extension leading to further time in Canada and possible Permanenent Residency and Citizenship a good few years down the line.
Hey thanks Digitalghost for the reply, how long are we talking here? do you have any idea. Also can I add if I get this tempoart bunac canada visa can I go to Montreal Vancouver and BC to look for jobs? or am I only restricted to one area in Canada?

Thanks
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey thanks Digitalghost for the reply, how long are we talking here? do you have any idea. Also can I add if I get this tempoart bunac canada visa can I go to Montreal Vancouver and BC to look for jobs? or am I only restricted to one area in Canada?

Thanks
Assuming a year on BUNAC, another year on TWP with a PR app in place, you'd need to spend another two years here without leaving before you can apply for citizenship*, then however long that takes, prob another year. So that's five years in total before you get your hands on a Canadian passport.

*This is based on the assumption that time in Canada before getting PR counts as half time for citizenship or something like that. This may be bollocks and you'll need to add another year (citizenship requires 3 out of previous 4 years residency)
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:22 pm
Sidecar Falcon

For the extension? It's on a per-case basis and there is no guarantee, will usually depend on province and what type of work you're in I think.

The Bunac visa is a Youth Mobility Scheme working holiday visa and is completely federal so you can work anywhere in Canada on it that you choose.

I would definitely reccomend reading the wiki if I were you as you will have quite a lot of research to do and not much time in which to apply if you are hoping to go this year. The closing date for applications to the high commission is 31/01/10.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Assuming a year on BUNAC, another year on TWP with a PR app in place, you'd need to spend another two years here without leaving before you can apply for citizenship*, then however long that takes, prob another year. So that's five years in total before you get your hands on a Canadian passport.

*This is based on the assumption that time in Canada before getting PR counts as half time for citizenship or something like that. This may be bollocks and you'll need to add another year (citizenship requires 3 out of previous 4 years residency)
Your maths is right. The hard bit is going from BUNAC, which requires no input from service canada, to a temp work permit where the employer will have to demonstrate no local workforce to fill the position.

BUNAC allows you to travel freely.

I could be wrong, but Ive never heard of an extension to a BUNAC visa? I always thought they were 12 months and thats your lot unless you leave and reapply. It cant be common to get an extension if its even an option.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 11th 2010 at 4:28 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005

Thanks Alan, but as long as I get paid for my work in canada and have a place to stay it makes no difference to me weather im in the uk or canada. Im thinking what is the point of goina via bunac, cannot I get a visa from the canadian embassy directly?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

For the extension? It's on a per-case basis and there is no guarantee, will usually depend on province and what type of work you're in I think.

The Bunac visa is a Youth Mobility Scheme working holiday visa and is completely federal so you can work anywhere in Canada on it that you choose.

I would definitely reccomend reading the wiki if I were you as you will have quite a lot of research to do and not much time in which to apply if you are hoping to go this year. The closing date for applications to the high commission is 31/01/10.
Thanks Digitalghost
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

And what happens after the 31/01/10? If I am still uncertain do I have to wait another year? Please tell me how much the cost Is? I can get my funds ready at least,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.