Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I use netfile or not?

Can I use netfile or not?

Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Tungle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I use netfile or not?

I have been in Canada since August 2011, I have filed one tax return so far (by paper)

I have an online account with the CRA and this shows my previous return, address, bank details etc

I am currently on a temporary work permit and this is the line that catches me out in the restrictions

You are an immigrant, emigrant, or non-resident of Canada for the 2012 tax year.

Am I still considered an immigrant for the 2012 tax year?

Really trying to avoid a paper return again

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 9th 2013, 7:15 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I use netfile or not?

You should be OK to netfile. You emigrated in the 2011 tax year and were resident in Canada for the entire 2012 tax period.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

alexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nice

Yes you can file.

You did not immigrate in 2012, it was 2011. Therefore you should not check yes to this box.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all

Do you have to set up an on-line account or is it done automatically when you file your first return? I filed mine on paper last week as I did immigrate in 2012 so do I need to open an account and then the information from this year will show up when it all gets processed?
Old Mar 11th 2013, 3:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You have to open an account if you want on-line access to your tax affairs. Even if you don't, you will still be able to net file your return next year.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all

Thank, I'll have a go at that. I did look at it using my SIN today and it said I needed to call them about it. Maybe that's because I don't have a tax return on file yet because it's still being processed at the moment?