Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

can i open a scitiabank account...

can i open a scitiabank account...

Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future
Default can i open a scitiabank account...

was wondering if i could open a scotiabank account from here?
and if so could i transfer money from my bank account here every month.
i had a scotiabank account three years ago when i was in canada on a bunac visa.
has anyone done this?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

deeb81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: can i open a scitiabank account...

hi there

i opened a royal bank of canada account from here last september without problem so i dont see why a scotiabank account would be any different.

all i needed to do was send them notarised copies of my id (passport and both parts of driving licence).

they opened it quickly and ive been paying money into it ever since.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

found this link if it helps

I am hoping to do the same, open bank Scotia bank account, was going to HSBC, but heard that Scotia is a lot better and more branches around New Brunswick.

Hope this helps
http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/conten..._LIDen,00.html

Chris
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future

thanks for the info guys,
i called the number on the link and was told it can't be done as scotiabank have no personal banking facilities in the uk.

guess i'll use one of the other banks. too bad as i was really pleased with scotiabank whne i used them in canada.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:09 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Like others, I have been able to open an RBC acct from here after sending certified copies of ID etc
Old Apr 20th 2009, 1:44 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goodpikey
thanks for the info guys,
i called the number on the link and was told it can't be done as scotiabank have no personal banking facilities in the uk.

guess i'll use one of the other banks. too bad as i was really pleased with scotiabank whne i used them in canada.
Who ever you spoke to is spouting crap, I openned my Scotia Account from the UK with no problem.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:07 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Who ever you spoke to is spouting crap, I openned my Scotia Account from the UK with no problem.
Not sure about that. I opened my Scotiabank account in the UK (Berkely Square branch). It was only because I knew one of the managers there. He told me that they can do it but don't advertise the fact.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:14 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Not sure about that. I opened my Scotiabank account in the UK (Berkely Square branch). It was only because I knew one of the managers there. He told me that they can do it but don't advertise the fact.
Not sure about what Souv? Your post just backs up what I said
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:23 pm

Not sure about what Souv? Your post just backs up what I said
Sorry about that. I was having a blonde moment. What I meant was, they don't like doing it but can, if pushed.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

i don't see why they would tell me it can't be done if you guys have done it.

do you either have you guys receive statements that would have a customer service number on them i could try. i would rather open with them than with rbc.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

found the berkeley sqaure branch telephone number on google. 02074914200
Ill be ringing them later so if you do aswell they make think there is sudden demand for account opening

Chris
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by englishintruder
found this link if it helps

I am hoping to do the same, open bank Scotia bank account, was going to HSBC, but heard that Scotia is a lot better and more branches around New Brunswick.

Hope this helps
http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/conten..._LIDen,00.html

Chris
I don't know that having ready access to branches makes much difference, once you're up and running. I haven't been into my home branch in five years (it's hundreds of km away and in a different province). I can do almost anything I need to via the internet or telephone, barring certain investments that would have to be done by a banker in Quebec. It seems to make no difference that my bank accounts and RRSPs are with a branch in Ontario and my mortgage is with a branch in Gatineau. I very rarely go to my local branch. Apart from signing mortgage forms, I have no need to and the fee I pay for withdrawing cash at the corner store is far less than the bus fare to the branch (people here don't use cash much, BTW).

One thing to watch out for. My account with Scotiabank in Oakville was set up before I arrived. I went to the branch a couple of days after landing and picked up my cheque books, debit card etc. Several days later, in Montreal, I tried to use the card in a Scotiabank cash machine, for the first time. It didn't work. That struck me as odd, as I had about $55k in my account. It turned out that I hadn't specifically asked for the card to be activated when it was given to me. Make sure you ask the question: "can I now use this account?".

Be aware, also, that there are lots of email/telephone scams going on. Whoever you eventually bank with will tell you how and why they will contact you.

Canada is years behind the UK in terms of security, so be careful with your cards. The late lamented dbd33 remarked several years ago that he doesn't bother signing the back of his credit card. He has a good point. My card is usually back in my wallet before the receipt is printed out for me to sign. Chip and PIN is coming but it's some way off being fully functional. My replacement Desjardins visa card is C&P. I have not yet had to use the PIN.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Scotia bank, Berkely square branch no longer exists, it is now at Finsbury square London and they was told that they dont open bank accounts for Canada from the UK anymore. Appently it changed with the new banking code? looks like HSBC is the only option , either that or a quick trip out for a few days

Please someone tell me if this is not true as the ladys was quite rude and abrupt on the phone.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by englishintruder
Scotia bank, Berkely square branch no longer exists, it is now at Finsbury square London and they was told that they dont open bank accounts for Canada from the UK anymore. Appently it changed with the new banking code? looks like HSBC is the only option , either that or a quick trip out for a few days

Please someone tell me if this is not true as the ladys was quite rude and abrupt on the phone.
You could simply phone up a Scotiabank branch where you plan to live and ask if/how and bank account might be set up? No harm in trying.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

How long ago was that?