Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can I keep my cash ISA

Can I keep my cash ISA

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

peter-g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I keep my cash ISA

I have some savings in a cash ISA, I will be changing some money to emmigrate, but would like to leave the rest in the ISA until the rates improve, would this be OK??????
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:09 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I keep my cash ISA

I googled and found that you can keep your cash ISA(s) but you can't add to it if you are no longer a UK resident.

See here
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:13 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
I googled and found that you can keep your cash ISA(s) but you can't add to it if you are no longer a UK resident.

See here
But will you have to pay tax in Canada on the interest produced by the UK ISA?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:35 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
But will you have to pay tax in Canada on the interest produced by the UK ISA?
Going by the "declaring of worldwide income in Canada" rule, I would think you would because it's only tax-free to UK residents.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:37 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Going by the "declaring of worldwide income in Canada" rule, I would think you would because it's only tax-free to UK residents.
Thought so.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:39 pm
Scottish Canuck

Good point though
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:45 pm
Beep

Good point though
Yeah, i was wondering what to do with my ISA actually. Will probably just look to see where best to store it all that gives me the most net interest i guess.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by el_richo
Yeah, i was wondering what to do with my ISA actually. Will probably just look to see where best to store it all that gives me the most net interest i guess.
With all my UK accounts (including cash isa) I filled out forms at the bank before I left so I stopped paying tax on my money/interest in the UK. Otherwise I'd be paying tax twice on my savings!
I'm also waiting for the rates to improve before I transfer it all here.... but they're going down, not up still!
So I know I'll be paying on all interest earned outside Canada for the duration I've been here.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinzo
With all my UK accounts (including cash isa) I filled out forms at the bank before I left so I stopped paying tax on my money/interest in the UK. Otherwise I'd be paying tax twice on my savings!
How would you be paying tax on them twice?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
How would you be paying tax on them twice?
Because if I didn't do anything, my accounts (like ING, and other savings accounts...obviously not my isa acc) would have the tax deducted at the end of the year, just like it always does. Then by being here, when I do my taxes, I'd have to pay on 'interest earned' in other countries, so I'd be paying twice on the same money.
I've not got that wrong have I?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:32 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pinzo
Because if I didn't do anything, my accounts (like ING, and other savings accounts...obviously not my isa acc) would have the tax deducted at the end of the year, just like it always does. Then by being here, when I do my taxes, I'd have to pay on 'interest earned' in other countries, so I'd be paying twice on the same money.
I've not got that wrong have I?
You would be able to deduct UK tax paid from your Canadian tax bill. There's a tax treaty that prevents double taxation.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agr
You would be able to deduct UK tax paid from your Canadian tax bill. There's a tax treaty that prevents double taxation.
So either way, I wouldn't pay twice on it. Thats ok then!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:44 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peter-g
I have some savings in a cash ISA, I will be changing some money to emmigrate, but would like to leave the rest in the ISA until the rates improve, would this be OK??????
If you have a rubbish interest rate on your ISA, it might be agood idea to have it transferred to another one paying more interest, too.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
If you have a rubbish interest rate on your ISA, it might be agood idea to have it transferred to another one paying more interest, too.
A topping scheme. Why has no-one thought of this before?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Why not consider one of the new tax-exempt savings accounts in Canada, you have the plus point of your savings being in Canadian dollars and not in a foreign currency.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.